BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I agree on that, the rest is just your opinion which is fair enough.

(No) notable technical ability - Get real, he invariably passed the ball into the net when scoring

A stat I would like to see is how many defensive interceptions he made in our area from corners and freekicks, I believe it will be ok for a player frequently accused by his detractors of a lack of work ethic.

It annoys me when posters invent, even politely in the view of some, myths about our players.

Bottom line his job was to score goals and in that one of the best I've ever seen and I've seen our strikers in live action since the late and great Fred Pickering.

I go back to just before that and he wouldn't be in my top twenty. In no particular order - Dobing, Dougan, Vernon, Big Fred, Andy Mac, Johnny Byrom, Tony Field, Simon Garner, Speedie, Newall, Shearer, Sutton, Kevin Gallagher, Matty J, Andy Cole, Santa Cruz, Yakubu, Benny Mac, Duffer, even Dwight Yorke, were all better.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I go back to just before that and he wouldn't be in my top twenty. In no particular order - Dobing, Dougan, Vernon, Big Fred, Andy Mac, Johnny Byrom, Tony Field, Simon Garner, Speedie, Newall, Shearer, Sutton, Kevin Gallagher, Matty J, Andy Cole, Santa Cruz, Yakubu, Benny Mac, Duffer, even Dwight Yorke, were all better.

In your opinion.

I never gave a number BTW and I never saw Dobing or Vernon live'

For just goal scoring, because that's what I'm on about,  and nowt else, we need a goals per game for all of the above plus Jordan.

35 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Lots of people tweeting about Phil Jones to Blackburn, must be a load of rubbish though just thought I'd share.

I think it stemmed from someone saying he wants out of Utd and still has a soft spot for Rovers but we ain't signing him. Unless it's a loan and Utd are covering 95% of his wages.

25 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I can't believe you have Yorke in there ahead of Bellamy 

Edited by Lucimo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

I can't believe you have Yorke in their ahead of Bellamy 

Bloody Hell, how did I forget Bellamy ! ! ! One of my all time favourite players. He'd be better than Dwight Yorke playing on one leg.

There are some fantastic players in that list but I'd have Bellamy up along side Shearer in my all time Rovers 11. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I did say " my " top twenty.

Yes, my apologies.

Well so far and using Wiki as the source I've compared Dobing, Vernon, Garner, Douglas, Shearer and Rhodes.

As expected and on GPG Shearer is 1st at 0.81 and Rhodes 2nd at 0.52

I'm going to do all those you listed in a presentable format, just as its interesting, I think, and I've nowt else to do and you never know it may even reduce the criticisms of Rhodes.

Your list BTW is great and my all time favourite striker is Simon G :brfc:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Yes, my apologies.

Well so far and using Wiki as the source I've compared Dobing, Vernon, Garner, Douglas, Shearer and Rhodes.

As expected and on GPG Shearer is 1st at 0.81 and Rhodes 2nd at 0.52

I'm going to do all those you listed in a presentable format, just as its interesting, I think, and I've nowt else to do and you never know it may even reduce the criticisms of Rhodes.

Your list BTW is great and my all time favourite striker is Simon G :brfc:

It's hard to say, so many great players. Big Fred was a colossus on his day, I'm so glad I saw him in his prime. On his day he was a Shearer that could beat people with the ball at his feet. Great to watch.

I think this belongs in the nostalgia thread. We need to leave some room for all the transfer talk !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It's hard to say, so many great players. Big Fred was a colossus on his day, I'm so glad I saw him in his prime. On his day he was a Shearer that could beat people with the ball at his feet. Great to watch.

I think this belongs in the nostalgia thread. We need to leave some room for all the transfer talk !

I was just thinking exactly the same

I wish Id seen Dobing and Vernon at Ewood, my Dad said they were brilliant footballers

Edited by AllRoverAsia

6 minutes ago, Swanson said:

20200929_120040.jpg

Would be against this, save the little finances we have for players of more proven quality in positions of higher importance such as left back, centre mid or back up GK. Personally I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t bring anyone else in, especially with how quiet things seem to have gone. Felt like ages since we’ve had a proper rumour.

18 minutes ago, TruRover said:

Would be against this, save the little finances we have for players of more proven quality in positions of higher importance such as left back, centre mid or back up GK. Personally I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t bring anyone else in, especially with how quiet things seem to have gone. Felt like ages since we’ve had a proper rumour.

I think it's another one for the U-23's.

Liverpool were looking to see how he progresses this season before deciding what to do with him next year. However, with Jota's arrival - they may offload him.

But I agree, we should be prioritising other problem positions in the team first.

Edited by Traviscon

24 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Soft spot for Rovers? Hmmm

Yeh I really don't think he does. Described losing to us as his worst moment as a professional or something like that. Even though we needed the points desperately as we were in a relegation scrap. Even though he had been part of that team that got hammered by Manure (7-1 was it?) which should have been far more embarrassing, especially since he was supposedly a boyhood Rovers fan.

I thought Jones was terrific when he was here, I could kinda understand him moving, even though it was to them, even though I thought he moved too soon, and even though we were shafted out of a few million by him not picking Liverpool. But after those comments he is eternally persona non gratis to me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Vernon in a different league to Dobing.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Bloody Hell, how did I forget Bellamy ! ! ! One of my all time favourite players. He'd be better than Dwight Yorke playing on one leg.

There are some fantastic players in that list but I'd have Bellamy up along side Shearer in my all time Rovers 11. 

Agree with that, Bellamy was an outrageously good player. It's mad they actually did play with each other for years at Newcastle but were hot and cold, mainly because Bellamy was such a bell end. On paper Bellamy/Shearer should have been one of the great strike duos.

If Bellamy had his head screwed on he could have been as good as Thierry Henry imo, very similar style in so many ways and just as talented. But Henry was a grafter, while Bellamy was a deeply troubled bloke. Still did alright mind.

• Like 2