BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I have no idea why we need another midfield at all. 

Mowbray wanted another midfielder. He wanted another GK (gone quiet), 2 x CB, LB, CM and RB - in that order of priority.

Since then we've added Ayala and seemingly given up on trying to sell Williams so that overcomes the CB situation.

Since then we've also lost Trav until next year with ligament damage and who knows what is going on with Evans who was training last week yet still doesn't seem to be ready for action.

So I'd say whatever reasons Mowbray had have since become more urgent.

Rothwell and Johnson have done very well of late but this is a squad game. You dont allow a transfer window to Pass by off the back of two good performances. Injuries, suspensions, losses of form, all just around the corner. We need to be prepared.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Mowbray wanted another midfielder. He wanted another GK (gone quiet), 2 x CB, LB, CM and RB - in that order of priority.

Since then we've added Ayala and seemingly given up on trying to sell Williams so that overcomes the CB situation.

Since then we've also lost Trav until next year with ligament damage and who knows what is going on with Evans who was training last week yet still doesn't seem to be ready for action.

Rothwell and Johnson have done very well of late but this is a squad game. You dont allow a transfer window to Pass by off the back of two good performances. Injuries, suspensions, losses of form, all just around the corner. We need to be prepared.

Agreed. Ultimately money/resources may mean we have to compromise on the number of recruits we make but we cant allow ourselves to get too carried away from a couple of admittedly exciting wins:

- Bell did pretty well on Saturday, maybe he can be our left back in our new style? No, hes been useless throughout his career.

- Dolan has been a breath of fresh air, he is a key player? He is important at the moment, but we cant expect too much from him across the season.

- Rothwell looked really good in central midfield, we dont need a central midfielder now? Even if he maintains it which we dont know, we will need options there.

- Brereton had a bright game, surely hes a shoe in? Until he starts scoring goals, there will always be a question mark.

Theres plenty to be excited about, but they will need some help.

• Like 2

Just now, LDRover said:

Now he is shite

They have definitely upgraded on Paterson in Kieffer Moore, Paterson wouldnt have played anyway.

Sheffield Wednesday have signed a strange mix of strikers. They have Rhodes who still is not particularly in favour despite being not only an actual striker but having already scored on opening day. Paterson is a strange utility man striker who I am unsure if he will ever be prolific. Elias Kachunga who always really played wide for Huddersfield and never replicated his first impressive season 4 or 5 years ago and Windass who Wigan fans were not fond of and again is not an out and out striker.

Wednesday have a bit of a strange side. They might well survive even with the 12 points deduction due to the lack of quality down there though.

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

As I have said before, transfers we miss out on are of no interest to us. I judge the manager on who he gets over the line. I did mention covid and a low budget but I am just saying that we seemingly will only make the one foreign signing. Ayala is a signing I am happy with regardless of where he last played, but it is hardly the yield of foreign recruits that was made out at the start of the window. 

I just think for 3 positions in possibly the most physically demanding area of the side with the additional fixture load. We have the 3 who played at the weekend. The forever injured Evans, Buckley who has yet to fully establish himself and Davenport who has never started a game. If we can get a bit of additional quality in there, then great. We are also yet to know if Rothwell can maintain these standards in a position he hasnt really played for us before across the course of a season.

Ayala was on a free, I presume you are equally dismissive of why he was on a free?!

I was just saying that it would be totally senseless from a clubs point of view to give us a keeper to warm our bench. I am sure if it was our player going to sit on someone elses bench your viewpoint may change.

They might be no interested to you but are to others posters. Covid has affected overseas transfers in the championship. After the overseas transfer window closes on Monday I will do an updated/report on number of transfers from overseas compare to other summer transfer windows. 

Well you won't know if Rothwell can maintain his current performances unless you get him game time in there and let him play there properly. 

We know why Ayala was on free and why we get him. But there is alot of out of contract players out there for different reasons whether wage demands, injury records, clubs budgets. You could move for Lee Camp but he is any interest in a number 2 role? 

12 minutes ago, JHRover said:

And I am saying we don't need one. We have enough and Travis will be back by January. I am happy with options in midfield until there. 2 centre back was needed if Williams left. He not now so we got Ayala so we have enough there. Evans should be back for after the international football games. 

We have Rothwell, Holtby, Johnson, Buckley, Davenport and Evans for the 3 man midfield spots. More than enough for me. Use the fund for left back and back up keeper. 

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray's also been telling us since Blues Bar in Feb. 2019 that defenders are coming..........................we've made one permanent signing in Ayala!

If you want to hang your hat on every Mowbray statement then that's fine.  Personally, I take everything Mowbray and Waggott say with a pinch of salt!

At the end of the day, I assume someone in Pune asks for feedback on their recently financed European scouting set up and I would think it's quite easy for Mowbray and Waggott to point to Kaminski.

IMO, we got Kaminski more by accident than design and in no small part due to the alleged club / player bust up - without that, I think Kaminski would still be Gent's goalie and we wouldn't have got a sniff just as Wigan wouldn't have got a sniff of Mulgrew if Mowbray and Mulgrew, allegedly, hadn't had a bust up in training following our opening day defeat against Charlton where Mulgrew was captain (captain first match of the season is not indicative of a manager's plans to 'send to Wigan' within days).

You think what you want Chaddy but it's often wise to sit back and reflect with a nice glass or two of your favourite tipple!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Now he is shite

I dunno, decent goalscoring record of 19 in 95 games primarily from midfield. Started out as a defender initially and has also played a few games up front. 

Love this bit on Wiki: Cardiff manager, Neil Warnock moved Paterson into a central midfield position in the new year, later stating the reasoning behind the move was because he couldn't defend.

12 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

I dunno, decent goalscoring record of 19 in 95 games primarily from midfield. Started out as a defender initially and has also played a few games up front. 

Love this bit on Wiki: Cardiff manager, Neil Warnock moved Paterson into a central midfield position in the new year, later stating the reasoning behind the move was because he couldn't defend.

He's like a shit modern day Mickey Quinn. A proper alehouse footballer.

16 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Mowbray's also been telling us since Blues Bar in Feb. 2019 that defenders are coming..........................we've made one permanent signing in Ayala!

If you want to hang your hat on every Mowbray statement then that's fine.  Personally, I take everything Mowbray and Waggott say with a pinch of salt!

At the end of the day, I assume someone in Pune asks for feedback on their recently financed European scouting set up and I would think it's quite easy for Mowbray and Waggott to point to Kaminski.

IMO, we got Kaminski more by accident than design and in no small part due to the alleged club / player bust up - without that, I think Kaminski would still be Gent's goalie and we wouldn't have got a sniff just as Wigan wouldn't have got a sniff of Mulgrew if Mowbray and Mulgrew, allegedly, hadn't had a bust up in training following our opening day defeat against Charlton where Mulgrew was captain (captain first match of the season is not indicative of a manager's plans to 'send to Wigan' within days).

You think what you want Chaddy but it's often wise to sit back and reflect with a nice glass or two of your favourite tipple!

Why is everything that Mowbray gets right an accident and everything he gets wrong his total incompetence?

Somewhere in the middle for me, definitely more positive than negative. 

Wonderful seeing our youth players coming through and thus far his signings have generally been successful.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

They might be no interested to you but are to others posters. Covid has affected overseas transfers in the championship. After the overseas transfer window closes on Monday I will do an updated/report on number of transfers from overseas compare to other summer transfer windows. 

Well you won't know if Rothwell can maintain his current performances unless you get him game time in there and let him play there properly. 

We know why Ayala was on free and why we get him. But there is alot of out of contract players out there for different reasons whether wage demands, injury records, clubs budgets. You could move for Lee Camp but he is any interest in a number 2 role? 

And I am saying we don't need one. We have enough and Travis will be back by January. I am happy with options in midfield until there. 2 centre back was needed if Williams left. He not now so we got Ayala so we have enough there. Evans should be back for after the international football games. 

We have Rothwell, Holtby, Johnson, Buckley, Davenport and Evans for the 3 man midfield spots. More than enough for me. Use the fund for left back and back up keeper. 

Mowbray clearly has a different opinion. Do you think he is wrong?

Travis being back by January isn't a good thing, it is a problem. By January the season will be half way gone and we will know if we are able to be at the right end or not. That's on a serious injury that still hasn't been operated on yet.

Id like to see a loan addition to replace Travis, a large void in the side.

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Nah people like kicking Mowbray and saying "he has his favourites" ad nauseum. But in actuality when he drops a player and the replacement does better they keep their place. That's consistently happened.

Bennet - dropped, Evans - dropped, Walton - not renewed, Smallwood - dropped and sold, Mulgrew - dropped, Williams - dropped for Tosin.

Dolan will keep his place. Gallagher will sit on the bench.

Sorry, that's completely wrong imo, 

Bennett, constantly picked in favour of Nyambe to the point where the latter  probably became disenchanted and now won't sign a new contract meaning we now lose one of of brightest talents for nothing.

Evans, continual pick alongside Smallwood even though the combination was completely wrong. Still a regular first choice until injury ruled him out.

Walton, had the chance to send him back in January, (which Stevie Wonder would have done) decided to give him another chance.

Smallwood - paid for 12 months for doing nothing as a result of being given an unnecessarily generous contract, then, to rub salt in the wound, got another month.

Mulgrew - as above but substitute 24 months for 12 months!

Williams - if as you claim it was thought he wasn't good enough, how come he's still here and now back in the side?

As a result we've seen two years of stagnation and two fairly dismal years on the pitch. It's a good job Venky's had the patience and pockets to fund the same. 

If there is now a sea change behind the scenes in terms of selection and personnel then it's very welcome, if two years too late,  but I have my suspicions the driving force is Mowbray. In general,  leopards don't change their spots especially at his stage of his career.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Ultimately though, Mowbray does this kind of thing no more so and no less so than any other Championship manager, so the whole point is a bit moot in general the way I see it. It's football, managers have favourites, and at the end of the games they're judged on results

Don't agree with that, I don't pay much attention to other sides but I think he does it more than any other Rovers manager I can remember. Others usually have one player they do it for, TM has had several and sometimes two at once.

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

Don't agree with that, I don't pay much attention to other sides but I think he does it more than any other Rovers manager I can remember. Others usually have one player they do it for, TM has had several and sometimes two at once.

Head onto any clubs forum, every club has this problem.

3 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Head onto any clubs forum, every club has this problem.

Like I said, not bothered about other clubs. I'm comparing him to previous Rovers bosses, who yes, did this sometimes but not as much. If I did go looking at other clubs' forums, which I'm not going to, I reckon most of them the manager only does it with one player, in the opinion of the majority. That's been the trend through Rovers' history in my time watching. I'd be surprised if we have just been lucky in that regard.

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Tbf you're as anti Mowbray as Chaddy is pro. He's writes no negatives you write no positives. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, imy9 said:

Why is everything that Mowbray gets right an accident and everything he gets wrong his total incompetence?

No different from people claiming when BB looked like a disaster that he was "a project signing" foisted upon an unwilling TM by the owners against his wishes.

Now he is showing signs of promise he will no doubt become the manager's man and a stroke of genius all along!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

IMO, we got Kaminski more by accident than design [...] 

Well much of what you post on here doesn't make any sense in the cold light of day, including this ridiculous overthought theory that Kaminski is some sort of accident.

IMO, of course. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

Mercer, I do think what I want whether you like it or not. 

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Mowbray clearly has a different opinion. Do you think he is wrong?

Travis being back by January isn't a good thing, it is a problem. By January the season will be half way gone and we will know if we are able to be at the right end or not. That's on a serious injury that still hasn't been operated on yet.

Id like to see a loan addition to replace Travis, a large void in the side.

Haven't I said I disagree that we need a midfielder. 

Isn't the operation this week for Travis? 

38 minutes ago, Ben Frost said:

Well much of what you post on here doesn't make any sense in the cold light of day, including this ridiculous overthought theory that Kaminski is some sort of accident.

IMO, of course. 

I think the point is that we only picked him up once he fell out of favour with his parent Club and presumably had his details circulated to would be suitors. It would be a better endorsement of the much vaunted Euripean scouting network if we'd discovered a previously unheard of up an coming hidden gem who we'd prised screaming and kicking out of unwilling sellers.

To be fair, as well we don't know whether Kaminsky is much good yet as he hasn't really been tested. Early signs are he looks OK which in itself would be a massive upgrade on Walton.

• Like 1