BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, Traviscon said:

Not a massive surprise, I would imagine the same with Raya to if he moves in the window.

Clearly up shits creek without a paddle unless we get some financial assistance. I'm really not clued up on any of the financial regulations in football - mainly because of my own laziness, but i'm guessing Venky's can't just chuck any sum of money into the club (if they were willing) to keep things ticking over?

They can in order to stop us going into admin or anything like that. Anything above the amount they already put in every year won't be counted towards helping beat FFP though.

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Further clarity on the sell on not affecting the budget.

Screenshot_20200930-225231_Twitter.jpg

Any lingering enthusiasm I had for the window just evaporated. I hoped a King sale might be added (just a little, not all of it) to the budget and allow us to sign either a better standard or an extra cover player. But nope. Think TM will be talking about 'hopefully getting one more in on loan', soon enough, in total from now that is. We pretty much wee with the willy we've got now.

We had better hope we get promoted this season. Next season, any loanee we have will be gone (again), Bell and Nyambe stand to be out of contract, Dack in his last year after we extend it, so not worth as much to cover the bills(if he comes back from his injury well). JRC, Rothwell, Holtby, Johnson, Chapman, Williams. Even Evans, Bennett, Fisher, all out of contract in the summer.

Some will have extension options we haven't heard about, some aren't great and soaking up large wages, some might renew, but the point is it will be a HELL of a lot of rebuilding required unless most of them do renew (and we don't sound like we are in a great position to offer terms). We can probably expect somebody to be sold to raise funds for the huge rebuilding job and to cover covid costs, but that will just be another key player needs replacing. And we thought this summer needed a lot of new faces (which haven't arrived in any real numbers). Oh the current remaining gaps will still be there too. And we have already shown we aren't great at getting a lot of deals over the line.

Think we actually need to go up this season to avoid going several steps back.

Edited by bluebruce

Just now, bluebruce said:

Any lingering enthusiasm I had for the window just evaporated. I hoped a King sale might be added (just a little, not all of it) to the budget and allow us to sign either a better standard or an extra cover player. But nope. Think TM will be talking about 'hopefully getting one more in on loan', soon enough, in total from now that is. We pretty much wee with the willy we've got now.

We had better hope we get promoted this season. Next season, any loanee we have will be gone (again), Bell and Nyambe stand to be out of contract, Dack in his last year after we extend it, so not worth as much to cover the bills(if he comes back from his injury well). JRC, Rothwell, Holtby, Johnson, Chapman, Williams. Even Evans, Bennett, Fisher, all out of contract in the summer.

Some will have extension options we haven't heard about, some aren't great and soaking up large wages, some might renew, but the point is it will be a HELL of a lot of rebuilding required unless most of them do renew (and we don't sound like we are in a great position to offer terms). We can probably expect somebody to be sold to raise funds for the huge rebuilding job and to cover covid costs, but that will just be another key player needs replacing. And we thought this summer needed a lot of new faces (which haven't arrived in any real numbers). Oh the current remaining gaps will still be there too.

The main worry if we dont go up is also Armstrong and Lenihan. Them 2 and Dack will have one year left, youd think theyd all be vulnerable to sell.

Preston have a similar decision now. Davies, Johnson and Pearson all have a year left. The likelihood is either sell or let go in a year for free.

Some will have extension options we haven't heard about, some aren't great and soaking up large wages, some might renew, but the point is it will be a HELL of a lot of rebuilding required unless most of them do renew (and we don't sound like we are in a great position to offer terms). We can probably expect somebody to be sold to raise funds for the huge rebuilding job and to cover covid costs, but that will just be another key player needs replacing. And we thought this summer needed a lot of new faces (which haven't arrived in any real numbers). Oh the current remaining gaps will still be there too. And we have already shown we aren't great at getting a lot of deals over the line.

Yep. All correct. 

Sadly this never ending conveyor belt seems to be the way they like to run things and is what makes talk of growing and building fantasy talk. Unless you are going to be proactive and secure prized assets down long term then you will just have a massive rebuild every 2-3 years and miss out on fortunes in transfer fees

Look at Brentford - recently gave Ollie Watkins a 5 year deal as reward for his performances and to protect their asset. Aston Villa come sniffing and have to cough up £30 million for him because Brentford hold all the cards with the long-term contract in their favour.

We don't seem to operate like that and it is staggering and worrying that assets like Nyambe, JRC and Dack are all out of contract in 8 months.

If nothing else we need them under contact for FFP purposes. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Yep. All correct. 

Sadly this never ending conveyor belt seems to be the way they like to run things and is what makes talk of growing and building fantasy talk. Unless you are going to be proactive and secure prized assets down long term then you will just have a massive rebuild every 2-3 years and miss out on fortunes in transfer fees

Look at Brentford - recently gave Ollie Watkins a 5 year deal as reward for his performances and to protect their asset. Aston Villa come sniffing and have to cough up £30 million for him because Brentford hold all the cards with the long-term contract in their favour.

We don't seem to operate like that and it is staggering and worrying that assets like Nyambe, JRC and Dack are all out of contract in 8 months.

If nothing else we need them under contact for FFP purposes. 

Dack isn't though, not really. People should stop saying that, as we have an option to extend a year which we will obviously take up if he doesn't sign a new deal.

Dack isn't though, not really. People should stop saying that, as we have an option to extend a year which we will obviously take up if he doesn't sign a new deal.

I think the problem is that whilst the 12 month option is a safety net for the club, it shouldn't really be used unless absolutely necessary. Before then we should be proactively dealing with a new long term deal. There's little indication that we are doing this, not just for Dack but all the players.

Of course times are hard and uncertain but the club has to look at the bigger picture. These players could be worth millions and dwarf whatever season ticket income we get. Insanity to let them go for nothing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I reckon we'll see Wharton sold for some odd reason Mowbray doesn't rate him.

At this point I don’t think we really need him, we have Williams, lenihan and Ayala as first choice options with magloire, carter and Grayson as back up. If it generated a little bit of cash for a left back I would sanction the sale.

10 minutes ago, TruRover said:

At this point I don’t think we really need him, we have Williams, lenihan and Ayala as first choice options with magloire, carter and Grayson as back up. If it generated a little bit of cash for a left back I would sanction the sale.

Williams will be found out very shortly. I hope not though.

• Like 1

Yeah I feel the same about Williams, he started last season in good form too partnering Lenihan at the back.

Williams is someone who can slot in for a few games here and there, but if he's your team every week at this level, then you wont be getting promoted.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TruRover said:

with magloire, carter and Grayson as back up. 

Barely any senior football at all between those three! As it stands too if Bell got injured we'd have to move Williams to LB, leaving only Lenihan and Ayala as CBs with any senior experience (if we sold Wharton), and they're pretty injury prone themselves. 

I'd keep Wharton around (though I know he's at the age where he'd want to be more than, say, fourth choice CB) and, ideally, sign a first-team left back so Williams isn't needed there at any point.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TruRover said:

Yeah, lets get rid of the lad who's had 2 promotions and over 100 league appearances for 3 players with no experience at all.   People keep putting grayson in as a viable option for some reason.  Non league footballer at best

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Yeah, lets get rid of the lad who's had 2 promotions and over 100 league appearances for 3 players with no experience at all.   People keep putting grayson in as a viable option for some reason.  Non league footballer at best

Just can’t see him getting much game time this season with lenihan, Williams and Ayala all ahead of him. If selling him frees up some money for a left back then surely that is worth it? 

40 minutes ago, TruRover said:

Just can’t see him getting much game time this season with lenihan, Williams and Ayala all ahead of him. If selling him frees up some money for a left back then surely that is worth it? 

I think some forget how injury-prone Lenihan and Williams are. Ayala is known for having a few injuries in recent seasons too. Not sure how you can be so confident Wharton will not be getting game time. it is why i would ideally like another CB coming in and that is with keeping Wharton. 

• Like 1

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18763464.still-there---rovers-boss-possibility-european-moves/

“I think we need some depth into our group, I don’t think we need to go and sign him or him to improve our starting XI, but create competition."

Mowbray has said again that he doesnt necessarily want players to come in and start. I really hope its just his attempt at man management, theres no point getting a left back not even as good as Bell who cannot be part of a promotion chasing team.

• Like 3

Just now, roversfan99 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18763464.still-there---rovers-boss-possibility-european-moves/

“I think we need some depth into our group, I don’t think we need to go and sign him or him to improve our starting XI, but create competition."

Mowbray has said again that he doesnt necessarily want players to come in and start. I really hope its just his attempt at man management, theres no point getting a left back not even as good as Bell who cannot be part of a promotion chasing team.

LB definitely has to be an upgrade - and a big one. 

What I don't like how he says this stuff is that it is no wonder we lose out to so many signings at the last minute. new signings are being told they have to fight their way in. It may be true but you don't say that. 

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 1