BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

50 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

If we do sign this Norwegian LB, can that really be attributed to our foreign scouting network or is just down to we are looking for scraps from the remaining out of contract players? Dont need scouts for that, just go to transfermarkt. I know what I think it is. Still, could be good and he would have to be terrible to be worse than Bell. 

Slightly harsh on Bell, given his recent form, completely agree with the rest, I think someone's having us on about the European scouting system. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, garnersfags said:

Apologies for the ignorance, but can we still lose Armstrong, or anyone else, to a PL club til 16th Oct?  

Yes, theoretically as I understand it any deals between  domestic Clubs can go through before 5p.m. on the 16th with the exception that PL Clubs can't do deals between themselves after 5p.m. tonight.

Edit: hope we don't see a big last minute departure then the cmplaint that we couldn't bring a replacement in because all our targets were allegedly European..........

Edited by RevidgeBlue

A bit late now perhaps, but I'd have been intrigued to see what our owners did had FFP been postponed.

Perhaps not our priority in terms of signings but Joe Lolley would have been a brilliant option if available. Surely there must be a class left back available?

I always remember Hird and Bailey as 2 brilliant attacking full backs in the early 70s team, way before their time. They'd be worth an absolute fortune in the current climate. I wish we could replicate them!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

No, but there would be nothing stopping the owners doing that for future windows if they wanted. They could have done it last year or 3 years ago had they been determined to beat FFP.

Of course they won't do it, because they don't have the interest, desire or wherewithal to do anything about it. Much easier just to trot out the 'woe is us' routine every time a window comes around.

Plenty of ways to skin the FFP cat, you can either tackle it head on - see QPR, Bournemouth, Leicester, Derby, Forest, Watford - or you can get left behind and spend the rest of your days whinging about it - see Waggott and Rovers.

I would agree that there are ways around Ffp but 5 out of 6 of the club's you mentioned are playing in the championship now.

Fair enough Bournemouth and Watford only recently been relegated, but are Forest, Derby and QPR better off than us?

Derby look to have a bloated and unbalanced squad and plenty of poor and over priced players within it  and have sold 2 of their starting team to a premier league club.Forest have talent within their squad but again looks unbalanced and their net spend on transfers won't be huge anyway with what they have sold off.QPR are now paying for not adhering to Ffp rules with massive cut backs and having to sell their better players.All 3 still in the same division as us and I fancy us to finish above all 3.

Derby have spent absolute fortunes trying to get promoted and still in the division.

• Like 3

• Backroom
11 minutes ago, garnersfags said:

Sounds crazy, but as well as quality defenders, we need a 15-20 a season goalscorer by 16 Oct. (to be more assured of a play-off spot). 

Around 13 million should get us one.

Oh...

Luca Toni?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

I'm not giving them stick for not doing it. Just pointing out that there are ways and means for those owners determined enough to get where they want to be.

Nothing ever happens here other than this 'developing' players routine (which we risk losing for nothing due to the contract situation).

It's a bit like the Wolves one - their owners came in with a determination and a plan of how to do it and rolled with it. It involved all sorts of shenanigans with the Portuguese players and Jorge Mendes. Might not be what the nice folk want to see with an agent running the show but now Wolves are changed beyond recognition for the better whilst we kick around skint in the Championship. It worked for them and they beat FFP.

A successful academy is not just for developing players to sell on at big prices it’s to get players playing for us, without us having to pay out big transfer fees.

I know you don’t see the academy as a success, but I do, and to keep our category 1 status  especially after dropping to league 1 is nothing short of a miracle, and I bet a lot of clubs  would love to have our set up.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Yes, they can buy Pune Utd and use it the same way....

I'd be getting after that Joe Lolley.  Always liked him and now seems to be benched.

Really?? He's ridiculously good for this league, there must be a reason. Either a fall out with the manager or some transfer saga going on. No way he isn't good enough for their side, he's probably their best player.

1 hour ago, unsall said:

I know you don’t see the academy as a success, but I do, and to keep our category 1 status  especially after dropping to league 1 is nothing short of a miracle, and I bet a lot of clubs  would love to have our set up.

Where have I said that our academy isn't a success? It clearly is a success with the number of players in our first team. There's a difference however between the academy being successful and default relying on it all the time when better options are available externally.

Keeping Category 1 is not a miracle. A third of Championship clubs have it and as you say, given our productivity it would be senseless to get rid of it. Its more than covered itself in the last decade with Jones, Hanley, Lenihan, Travis etc. Sunderland, Wolves, Leicester and Norwich all retained Category A status in that division without billionaire backers.

If you aren't going to secure these players down to long term deals then you lose millions in fees and never get anywhere. Its madness but further evidence of the approach these owners have. If they had an ounce of interest they'd have instructed staff to issued new deals to these players. 

Instead it seems Mowbray is trying to persuade them to do it. It's like a parallel universe. 

I notice last week Mowbray said contract extensions may have to be paid for from his transfer kitty. Ludicrous. Yet if I were betting now I'd put money on neither happening before January.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 1

I used to watch Alesaami a lot when he played in Sweden, he stood out then as an attacking full back in a team that also demanded a lot of him defensively. Seems to have made some bad choices regarding his clubs after that (Palermo was a famous nuthouse back then), but if he hasn't gone downhill completely in the last five years (and his stats shows that he's at least been playng regularly wherever he's been) he'd at least be an improvement on what we currently have IMO.  

• Like 4