BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

9 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

About half the team are due to be out of contract. Dack (will activate the 1 year extension on his though), Holtby, Rothwell, Mulgrew, Williams, Evans, Johnson, Bennett, JRC, Chapman, Nyambe. And Fisher, who we are buying another keeper just so he can go on loan.

Obviously there are mixed opinions on several of those players, but however you slice it that would be a HUGE rebuilding job to replace most of those all at once. And we already still have gaps. And we know how well we do with large scale transfer business...

Thanks, it's roughly as I remembered, out of that lot I'd only be really worried about losing Dack Nyambe and JRC. Maybe Chapman as well if he comes to.

Sod's law dictates they're probably the only ones we will lose.

21 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Bonus points for first to answer our last Greek signing 

Did we not sign a young Greek Keeper back in early 2010's? might have been for the youth team but you never said first team only ?

Edit: Found his name, Nikolaos Giannakopoulos

Edited by Spankus Munky
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, JoeH said:

The deal sheet does, which it has been. Have you never witnessed a transfer deadline day? Personal terms and transfer fee are all signed, it's just a medical tomorrow which they'll get an extension for as per most windows.

I honestly don't recall a medical ever being done the following day, I thought that part of the deal  had to be done and dusted before the deadline but happy to be wrong on that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JoeH said:

The deal sheet does, which it has been. Have you never witnessed a transfer deadline day? Personal terms and transfer fee are all signed, it's just a medical tomorrow which they'll get an extension for as per most windows.

Sky Sports News has explained it several times. Not sure medical can be done day after. 

Just great stories from Harry Redknapp tonight from his experience of deadline day signings. Get him on Premi3er league football coverage now. Would be great

Edited by chaddyrovers

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I honestly don't recall a medical ever being done the following day, I thought that part of the deal  had to be done and dusted before the deadline but happy to be wrong on that.

Happens constantly. Deal is agreed in principle between the two clubs, and the club and the player, medical is then done following day and once the A Okay is given, deal is the in effect.

These deals get announced as "Pending a medical" often too by clubs just in case.

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

but it is absolutely stupid that you can get an extension to a window that has been open for months.

Rovers: "How much for Stergiakis?"
Sofia: "£500,000"
Rovers: "That's way too high"

Deadline Day, still not been sold, need the cash

Rovers: "How much for Stergiakis now?"
Sofia: "£200,000"
Rovers: "Great".

The deal being done so late is purely down to the selling club realising this is their last chance to cash in, rather than the buying club stalling and not being fast enough. I'd argue that's more than likely the case 90% of the time.

1 minute ago, JoeH said:

Rovers: "How much for Stergiakis?"
Sofia: "£500,000"
Rovers: "That's way too high"

Deadline Day, still not been sold, need the cash

Rovers: "How much for Stergiakis now?"
Sofia: "£200,000"
Rovers: "Great".

The deal being done so late is purely down to the selling club realising this is their last chance to cash in, rather than the buying club stalling and not being fast enough. I'd argue that's more than likely the case 90% of the time.

There should be a rule, if its all done by the designated time, good, if not, youve had months so tough.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

There should be a rule, if its all done by the designated time, good, if not, youve had months so tough.

Would create an impossible situation for buying clubs, taking away all the time pressure leverage. We'll have sorted this deal late because they've lowered their expectations. 

12 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Thanks, it's roughly as I remembered, out of that lot I'd only be really worried about losing Dack Nyambe and JRC. Maybe Chapman as well if he comes to.

Sod's law dictates they're probably the only ones we will lose.

It's not about which ones are individually to be worried about losing though. It's about how many of them could be lost all at once if we don't sign a lot of people up to new contracts before then. Even with the saved wages, it would be a nightmare to expect our current slowly-slowly recruitment approach to replace them all, let alone fill the pre-existing gaps. Obviously we'll be fine to (and must) lose the likes of Fisher, Evans and Bennett, but I wouldn't want to lose most of the rest all at the same time. One or two of them ok.

Just now, JoeH said:

Would create an impossible situation for buying clubs, taking away all the time pressure leverage. We'll have sorted this deal late because they've lowered their expectations. 

Surely the selling team would adjust and buckle sooner or not sell in that scenario? Knowing there isnt an "extension" to fall back on.

Makes no sense giving teams an extra 2 hours when they have had months. These deal sheets are more often than not for last minute panic loan deals. Like I said, if we benefit, great but there is no logic to it.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Surely the selling team would adjust and buckle sooner or not sell in that scenario? Knowing there isnt an "extension" to fall back on.

Makes no sense giving teams an extra 2 hours when they have had months. These deal sheets are more often than not for last minute panic loan deals. Like I said, if we benefit, great but there is no logic to it.

Potentially, I understand why they have the extension though. Many deals rely on several other pieces falling into place. Things happen late and it's extremely rare that it's the fault of the buying club, so I can see why they give buying clubs the support they need to get things sorted

Just now, TruRover said:

Sounds like we’ve got the deal sheet submitted. Imagine this one will be announced tomorrow.

If announced tonight it'll be "pending a medical", but like you say most likely tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Potentially, I understand why they have the extension though. Many deals rely on several other pieces falling into place. Things happen late and it's extremely rare that it's the fault of the buying club, so I can see why they give buying clubs the support they need to get things sorted

But even if you put the deadline back 6 weeks, everything is relative, the same transfers would get done. Just seems to reward teams not having their affairs in orders or prompts panic buys.

• Like 1

• Backroom

Seems a very worthwhile signing, granted I’m hardly excited by it but that’s testament to Kaminski looking solid, I would have been ecstatic before then!

Just watched that highlight reel again and I know it's just a highlight reel but...I reckon when every one of our young prospect keepers sees that reel or watches him in training, they'll be straight on the phone to their agent asking them to find them a new club.

Between him and Kaminski, doesn't look like another keeper is breaking through here for the next...oh, 14 years? ?

• Like 4

The question definitely remains of why would this kid turn down Olympiakos due to wanting first team football, only to go on to sit on our bench?

Better remuneration? Just changed his mind and decided he needs to get out of the Bulgarian leagues to move his career on? Told he would be second choice and get the cup games here but only third choice at Olympiakos? Been told by us that he will genuinely be neck-and-neck with Kaminski? Simply couldn't resist the lure of being coached by Ben Benson?

• Like 2