BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

4 hours ago, JHRover said:

That's ignoring the estimated £70,000 a week shaved off the wage bill since last season. So extensions/wage increases should be coming out of that pot.

As I say, doubt this 'pot' will be used for either new contracts or permanent additions.

End of the day it doesn't matter. What actually matters is the fact that half our burgeoning young squad will be able to walk away for nowt in the summer. Unless we act quickly and decisively we are going to lose millions in assets and face a mammoth recruitment job next summer.

Not interested in excuses. I just want it sorting and quick.

Cash is king and that is how businesses are operating right now.

Herbie is right.

Blame the virus.

On another thread I have argued Rovers are actually better placed than most other clubs in dealing with Covid consequences.

However, during this window, we have gone from a realistic assumption fans will be back in to a realistic assumption there will be zero fan income in 20/21.

Mowbray hasn't hidden what that changed business budget assumption has done to the transfer budget. It wiped it out.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Cracking post. Nailed it.

(Or is it the manager that isn't that interested in seizing it? I notice the other day there was a headline to the effect that TM didn't want to ask the owners for more money for a LB in the current climate)

FFP

For everybody fretting about players going out of contract, I will ask one question.

Are they undoubtedly Premier League class?

If yes, we need to get a move on and sign the extension.

If maybe or no,  not the top priority. Other Championship clubs have covid financial problems as well.

And if we do.go up, we don't want to be over burdened with contracted Championship level players.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, philipl said:

For everybody fretting about players going out of contract, I will ask one question.

Are they undoubtedly Premier League class?

If yes, we need to get a move on and sign the extension.

If maybe or no,  not the top priority. Other Championship clubs have covid financial problems as well.

And if we do.go up, we don't want to be over burdened with contracted Championship level players.

It's not the point whether they are Premier League class. Not in the slightest. You don't need to be Premier League class to go up. You don't even need a squad, or even team, full of promotion class, let alone Prem class. Lest we not forget, Corry Evans got promoted with Hull, as a regular I believe, and I wouldn't call him Prem or promotion quality. If he was the only contract out next summer, or say him and Bennett, I wouldn't bat an eyelid about it.

But they're not. There are, as I already said and you may have read, too many players going out of contract next summer for us to feel relaxed. We absolutely do not have the resources to replace them all adequately at once. In that I include our finances, our youth team, and our slow approach recruitment system that has repeatedly proven it can't do large scale overhauls quickly. And again, we have existing gaps already before the contracts run down. We need to get a large chunk of those lads signed up or we will be facing a monumental task.

The bare minimum for me would be Nyambe, JRC, and at least 2 from Rothwell, Holtby and Chapman. We can afford to let Williams go if the youth CBs look good enough and Ayala proves up to the task right up to season's end, but if Del plays well through the season I'd (can't believe I'm saying this) consider extending him too. Even then we are still absolutely going to need at least one, probably a couple of CMs to replace Evans, Johnson and Bennett (who offers an emergency cover), and probably somewhat on the cheap. Losing Mulgrew makes no difference though other than a welcome wage saving.

This is before we consider the effect on team harmonics of a large exodus and influx, and the unknown (far as I've heard) effect of Brexit on future European business just as we seem to have got going with that.

It's also nearly irrelevant whether we go up with contracted Championship level players. Prem riches see to that. Further, Championship level players who just won a promotion have increased stock in the market and we would likely find loans or sales for most of them. But if they sit around drawing a wage we will barely feel it at that point.

6 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Bloody hell.

If that's right could have got Reed and Tosin for 2m LESS than BB and Gallagher!

?

No we couldn’t. Firstly, I doubt very much that the fee is £2m but either way, Tosin was on £40k a week at City which will now be somewhere in the region of £50-60k at least now.

Reed will be on similar, probably more. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

No we couldn’t. Firstly, I doubt very much that the fee is £2m but either way, Tosin was on £40k a week at City which will now be somewhere in the region of £50-60k at least now.

Also neither wanted to sign for us.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, philipl said:

Can we just confirm that the Norwegian LB is now a free agent and so not subject to last night's deadline?

Correct, can be signed any point this season I think!

7 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I don’t remember they were or maybe they weren’t in it as long as we were, don’t remember them having a fire sale like us, they have spent a few Bob over the years too. Dual ownership and deals between those teams stinks to me, that’s proper championship manager stuff, swapping finances etc 

Yer it was us, forest and Leeds.

Forest were owned by someone different to their current owner at the time.

They very nearly went down when we did, so fire sale might have happened, although they used change managers every week.

• Like 2

Great move for player and club in the Tosin deal although i bet they are paying a right whack in wages. Be really interesting to see how he steps up, not sure he's ready for that yet but we'll see.

New pitch line for Tony and Mark now to potential signings - come and showcase yourself here and if you're lucky Fulham will sign you !

How times have changed, that's why we really need promotion or to be in the mix for it regularly at least. 

44 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Great move for player and club in the Tosin deal although i bet they are paying a right whack in wages. Be really interesting to see how he steps up, not sure he's ready for that yet but we'll see.

New pitch line for Tony and Mark now to potential signings - come and showcase yourself here and if you're lucky Fulham will sign you !

How times have changed, that's why we really need promotion or to be in the mix for it regularly at least. 

How times have changed..?

Regardless of Fulham’s stature as a club, they’re in the PL. Since when have we been able to compete for signings with a PL club?

Suggesting that if players play well for us on loan they may get a move to a PL club is hardly a new line.

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Exactly, no way  in a million years could we have afforded either wages. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JoeH said:

These deals get announced as "Pending a medical" often too by clubs just in case.

No they don't, not after the window has closed. He flew in and completed his medical yesterday. Pretty sure you can't have a medical after the window has shut. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama

9 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Thanks, it's roughly as I remembered, out of that lot I'd only be really worried about losing Dack Nyambe and JRC. Maybe Chapman as well if he comes to.

Sod's law dictates they're probably the only ones we will lose.

Yeah but the point i was making was that whether the players are world beaters or dross the moment they head through the exit door they need replacing. Many of those e.g. Bennett, Evans, Rothwell, whilst arguably dispensable, are still experienced and competent players to call upon when needed.

This setup and manager simply isn't capable of bringing in a dozen players in one window. Which is the sort of number we would need if all those left.

Dack I also worry about. The 12 month option for the club, whilst a safety net, I feel if activated rather than him sign a new deal, is simply going to be a countdown clock to him leaving the following year. If we can't get it sorted by next summer we can't get it sorted.

The Tosin transfer highlights a few things as already pointed out on here. He was unaffordable even if we hadn’t bought a player for 4 seasons or more, wages are too high and will be in excess if £50k a week. It also highlights that even City are over concerned about his ability once vaunted by pep as the future of city now facing a relegation battle with Foolham! In any case he won’t walk into their team as it stands. Good luck to him and foolham they will need it and yet again a foolham splurge of cash won’t save them they will come down again in an even worse financial state than the last time ?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Yeah but the point i was making was that whether the players are world beaters or dross the moment they head through the exit door they need replacing. Many of those e.g. Bennett, Evans, Rothwell, whilst arguably dispensable, are still experienced and competent players to call upon when needed.

This setup and manager simply isn't capable of bringing in a dozen players in one window. Which is the sort of number we would need if all those left.

Dack I also worry about. The 12 month option for the club, whilst a safety net, I feel if activated rather than him sign a new deal, is simply going to be a countdown clock to him leaving the following year. If we can't get it sorted by next summer we can't get it sorted.

Dack has a long long way in front of him to prove his fitness ability and value not just to other suitors but more importantly to Rovers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

£50k for someone who hasn't proved himself in the premier league, wow!

6 minutes ago, yellowsubmarine said:

£50k for someone who hasn't proved himself in the premier league, wow!

Mowbray told a couple of us that he was on “more than double our top earners” at the fans forum when he was asked about him signing permanently. I nearly fell through the floor

• Like 1

Sam Gallagher was rumoured to be on 35-40k at Southampton before joining us. Tosin will be on at least 60k at Fulham. Anybody saying we should've signed him and/or Reed are on some strong stuff. Transfer fees yes, we could've done. Wages/signing on fees, appearances bonuses etc. there's fecking no chance of either.