BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thats why recruitment, scouting and data analysis departments have been invested in by the club, so we are scouting players properly and been less reliant on agents suggestions like under previous managers in the past. Watching games from a lot of European leagues so we know the players qualities in depth. 

Not relevant to the point I was making regarding it being too early. Spending money on improved scouting infrastructure is a positive move. But it doesnt mean that there is no risk of signing poor players. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

better man management,better tactician,better in the transfer market and been steady in the premier league,he was unlucky to be sacked at norwich and brighton,im`e not sure what those two chairmen want,it`s gone completely **** up for norwich and brighton are no better off,in fact they are worse defensively

But they aren't. Brighton conceded 54 goals last season. the same amount they conceded in their first season in the Premier League and six less than they did in their second. They also scored more goals last season than they had done in any of their previous seasons in the Premier League.

Going by what I've been told by a number of Brighton fans, Hughton rarely had a plan B, and often played players out of position (where have we seen that before). Their fans seem to be far happy with Potter at the helm as they are a better and more exiting team to watch.

Is Hughton a better manager than Mowbray? Yes.

Is Hughton as amazing as some people seem to think he is? No.

His Championship record is very good, a proven track record.

I think in the Premier League it is a little bit too far for him but in fairness, they stayed up and Potter hasnt tangibly improved them in the table but is lucky to have the reputation of a youthful, forward thinking coach when indeed they havent really tangibly improved under him. Whereas Hughton is a more old school and has the temerity to not even get defenders like Dunk, Webster and when they had him Duffy to pass it out from the back. Thats the modern fad.

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thats why recruitment, scouting and data analysis departments have been invested in by the club, so we are scouting players properly and been less reliant on agents suggestions like under previous managers in the past. Watching games from a lot of European leagues so we know the players qualities in depth. 

Scouting players properly ?? Like Brereton and the others who either have connections with he north east or have played for mowbray before?? 
even Dolan was an accident- saw him once playing against us .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Seems an odd/unprovoked reaction to Forest announcing a new manager. How do you compare the two? What makes him better?

Mowbray has 256 career wins
Hughton has 167 career wins
Both managers have won one major honor
Mowbray's win % is 52%
Hughton's win % is 43%

Maybe you mean their transfer records/pulling ability, but all the same I don't understand how this conclusion can be so easily come to.

Hughton in the Championship 

1 season at Newcastle - won the league 

1 season at Birmingham - play offs with a decent European run

2 seasons at Brighton- play offs and automatic promotion.

Also kept Brighton and Norwich in the top flight.

Mowbray in the Championship 

1 season at WBA - won the league 

3 seasons at Middlesbrough- mid table

2 seasons at Rovers- mid table

Relegated comfortably in his only Premier League season, also spent 18 months struggling in League One at Coventry.

Hughton is a better manager. Good for Forest. An owner who knows what he wants and will do what is needed to get there.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Not relevant to the point I was making regarding it being too early. Spending money on improved scouting infrastructure is a positive move. But it doesnt mean that there is no risk of signing poor players. 

There is risk in every signing regardless of the fee. Ask Barca and Man Utd who have wasted Millions and millions on signings not good enough. 

You are spending money on improving the recruitment, scouting and data analysis to increase the pool of players and to reduce the risk of signings thats aren't good enough. 

Just now, TBTF said:

Scouting players properly ?? Like Brereton and the others who either have connections with he north east or have played for mowbray before?? 
even Dolan was an accident- saw him once playing against us .

Dolan was signed on the back of recommendation of the scouting and recruitment department and Mowbray his people on that. 

I don't know if Brereton was scouting at all. 

But focusing on the negative of past seasons instead of focusing on how good our scouting has been in bringing the players we have this summer and hopefully a left back to come in before the 16th October deadline

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

How can you know if he has better man management than Mowbray without being involved in the set up yourself?
How can somebody be better in the transfer market? Surely that relies on what funds you have more than anything else?

At the end of the day for me, it's very VERY difficult to call one manager undeniably better than another when every single job in football is different. If we judge them at their own clubs, on what they've achieved as coaches, I think they're on very similar levels. Other things on top of that, like his "Man Management" skills, are completely personal opinion and far from a factual barometer than can be used universally.

Okay Joe, add Mowbray's Celtic disaster to the mix, still similar? 

27 minutes ago, neophox said:

Aleesami is a really good left back who can defend.

That's what I want to hear. Plus if that's true, I also want to hear we have signed him. Then I'd be happy with this window, but would be nice to see us sneak a quality loan in too if the price is right.

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Dolan was signed on the back of recommendation of the scouting and recruitment department and Mowbray his people on that. 

But focusing on the negative of past seasons instead of focusing on how good our scouting has been in bringing the players we have this summer and hopefully a left back to come in before the 16th October deadline

As it stands now Chaddy , the keeper may we’ll be ok , Ayala wasn’t the result of good scouting really was he? And Dolan was a slice of luck thatPreston somehow  released him , not one we set our sights on . 
god knows about the Greek lad .

hopefully more to come because we are still light in key areas so pardon me for not getting giddy just yet. 
It just makes me smile that Mowbray talks about Europe like he’s Christopher Columbus and just discovered it exists. We have had European players before you know ?

If they can find half a dozen Nzonzis over the next few years then maybe it’s working .

• Like 2

Sorry if it's been mentioned only read last few pages.

However see LT are reporting we paid no initial fee for the GK. Seems an incredible deal, granted performance bonuses and sell on clauses but the lad basically being a free transfer is a huge win!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

There is risk in every signing regardless of the fee. Ask Barca and Man Utd who have wasted Millions and millions on signings not good enough. 

You are spending money on improving the recruitment, scouting and data analysis to increase the pool of players and to reduce the risk of signings thats aren't good enough. 

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Again, missing the point. Youve taken the conversation on a typical random tangent. My point was that at this stage, based on the signings made and presumed as per Joe's post, that it is far too early to call it our best window at the moment, its totally unknown. Most hadnt heard of Kaminski, decent start so scope for promise. Ayala has played 1 and is the only one that we could really judge prior to arrival. This Greek fella is a total unknown. The left back is an unknown to most and the loan wasnt even specified. My point was that at this stage, if thats our window business, we cant yet say how this window has been.

We dont know if the scouting to bring in players from europe has been a success or failure so how can we yet focus on "how good" it has been, as if its as sure as that? We have room for promise but its not been a success (or indeed a failure) at this point.

13 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

You just made it very awkward for him Joe..??

Im not sure how to be fair. The 2 have had totally different careers, different clubs, different budgets, different lengths of careers. None of those stats are worthwhile either way in comparing the 2 as managers. Although stick a couple of patronising emojis on the end and thats obviously a gamechanger.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TBTF said:

As it stands now Chaddy , the keeper may we’ll be ok , Ayala wasn’t the result of good scouting really was he? And Dolan was a slice of luck thatPreston somehow  released him , not one we set our sights on . 
god knows about the Greek lad .

hopefully more to come because we are still light in key areas so pardon me for not getting giddy just yet. 
It just makes me smile that Mowbray talks about Europe like he’s Christopher Columbus and just discovered it exists. We have had European players before you know ?

If they can find half a dozen Nzonzis over the next few years then maybe it’s working .

Or a Givet or two.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'd swap Mowbray for Hughton tomorrow. The Forest game has just got a whole lot more difficult. It's just gone from Wycombe Mk2 to Cardiff Mk2. 

Same, gutted he has went to forest , I really wanted him here for at least a season, mowbray seems unsackable at this point however, I’m trying to be a bit more positive with regards to Tony this season as constant annoyance of our manager is tiresome to myself. But yes given my choice he wouldn’t be our man at the wheel. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Forest have been so disjointed I find it hard to think Hughton will wave some sort of magic wand straight away. Football is a different game at this present time without fans to get behind a team. I still think Rovers will beat them

He's got nearly 2 weeks to work with them though. Considering his basic approach is going to be "balls to passing it around lads, just hoon it down field" it's not going to be the most sophisticated strategy to impart.

My expectations for this game have moved from reasonably confident to very nervous.

13 minutes ago, bboy said:

Sorry if it's been mentioned only read last few pages.

However see LT are reporting we paid no initial fee for the GK. Seems an incredible deal, granted performance bonuses and sell on clauses but the lad basically being a free transfer is a huge win!

I was about to post pretty much the same (even how I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it!). Considering a poster on here was saying that a couple of years ago he was lined up to go to Olympiakos for 700k euros.

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

He's got nearly 2 weeks to work with them though. Considering his basic approach is going to be "balls to passing it around lads, just hoon it down field" it's not going to be the most sophisticated strategy to impart.

My expectations for this game have moved from reasonably confident to very nervous.

He'll have time to bring a couple of players in also.