BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

6 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

No, his brother is only 16 and definitely doesn't work at BAE....

From what i know, this isnt happening.  We can't afford him as of 24 hours ago. Staying at Doncaster.   

Quality.

This line of discussion is approaching Ray Wilkins spotted at the Wilpshire Hotel cult status now.

We only need to reignite the speculation as to whether a bid for Marcus Maddison by an unnamed Club might be us now!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We only need to reignite the speculation as to whether a bid for Marcus Maddison by an unnamed Club might be us now!

Alas, those potential 50 pages of nonsense have been snuffed out. In this window the unnamed club was Charlton - and he signed for them.

29 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Where do you fit Holtby, Dack, Travis and Whiteman into a midfield three without feeling like your not utilising one of them? Not forgetting Bradley Johnson’s great start to the season too.

I like Whiteman and he’d be a good investment especially with Trav injured, just don’t know how we’ll line up

I would imagine Dack and Rothwell would rotate in the 3 attacking positions too. I also think Holtby won't play every game and same with Johnson so the numbers are needed. 

I know consistency is key when it comes to a line up but if we want to be serious about play offs we need to have good depth and quality in that depth. Luckily for me, I don't have to make the call on who plays.

For example, when Holtby plays I would play Dack further up. When he doesn't, I would play Dack in the midfield 3? Just an option but could see that working. I would probably play Travis and Whiteman together at all times (if he signs) unless one get's injured but then you have BJ or Rothwell to come in for either of those if needs be. Buckley I would use off the bench as he's been quite effective doing that. We're in a nice position where Rothwell can play further forward too but obviously he is lacking in the goals/assists department.

I saw yesterday that Chelsea left back Baba Rahman is interesting some Championship clubs as a loan. He's one of the perennial Chelsea loanees, but at 26 needs to be playing regular football (Chelsea want to loan him out again). I imagine he's on astronomical wages, but he'd be a very interesting acquisition if it was possible.

Edited by Traviscon
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Bethnal said:

It’s a bit tetchy in here, lads.

Been lurking the last few weeks on this thread and some of the matchdays.

While I can see where the tangents started, gotta say that it’s incredibly impressive how far off course the transfer thread will go each window.

Contributing further to that, with all understanding of the irony in doing so, I feel it’s prudent to point out that we’re 6th and have the highest goal difference in the league. Four games in, you say? Aye, maybe there’s something in that. But I’ll reserve judgment ‘til ten games. Then 15. 20 games and so on.

It’s the surprising signings that we’ll only be able to hold out for and predictions are somewhat moot at this stage. Dolan was a surprise, in that he became an immediate first team player. Maybe McBride makes the leap. Maybe Butterworth builds on his promise after injury. Maybe the Norwegian left back joins. Maybe the defence gels and finds its feet.

The point is, we don’t know. And when you don’t know and - crucially - you can’t do anything about it, there comes a point where you need to accept it.

There’s always room for healthy debate but it becomes a much nicer place to spend time when the forum is just that little bit less dramatic and hostile. You’ll all have a much better time embracing the short term enjoyment than agonising over the long term unknowns.

For now, we’ve signed a handful of development prospects that could turn into more than that, are seeing our youngsters kick on a bit and could potentially have solved two major weak points by mid October. By the end of October we could be nearer the promotion spots.

There’s plenty to be concerned about if that’s your bag, but I reckon you’ll have a better time looking up rather than down.

Those of us old enough to remember had a great time " looking up rather than down " when we won the Prem. As a result of only looking at what was going right and ignoring what could have been Improved upon, from a position of terrific strength, we began the gradual decent that ended in relegation.

One of my managers favourite sayings was " Never mind what's going right, that'll take care of itself, today we work on what's going wrong ".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Haha - If only you knew!!

I can tell you that Brereton was barely scouted and brought to them via an external scouting network in collaboration with an agency who sold us the dream. I used him because BB is the epitome of not being a Mowbray signing. That signing is part of the reason Mowbray tore up the old system and created the new one.

Because either way, any signing made under the watch of a manager who has the final decision, good or bad belongs to that manager.

This same rule stands in every industry. Which is why leaders are sacked when organisations fail.

Dido Harding would beg to differ.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Not sure about the Norwegian LB but Whiteman and any good LB would be a very good window indeed.

If that was followed up by the news that Stoke had come back in and were waving cash at us for Evans then it would almost be a case of "If Carlsberg did transfer windows......."

Bit to go before we get to that point though.

Evans moving to Stoke would be poetic. Unless there is an upcoming international almost all of his passes follow the route of travel between Blackburn & Stoke

image.thumb.png.3d0989a8eb77ea0c75bed28be722d0db.png

• Like 2

Would be brilliant if we could offload Corry Evans and replace him with Whiteman for very little cost to our budgets. I think that was maybe something Mowbray was hoping for earlier in the window. However without Donny severely dropping their asking price I think it is completely unrealistic. And to be honest there is even less suggesting Stoke actually want Evans anyway. All a bit pie in the sky

Edited by ben_the_beast
naff spelling
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Where do you fit Holtby, Dack, Travis and Whiteman into a midfield three without feeling like your not utilising one of them? Not forgetting Bradley Johnson’s great start to the season too.

I like Whiteman and he’d be a good investment especially with Trav injured, just don’t know how we’ll line up.

Dack will play up front imo.

But I do agree we would have an issue in that only three of Rothwell, Travis, Holtby,  Johnson, Whiteman and Evans can start. But then realistically all of those players, with the exception of Rothwell, are injury prone so maybe it's not really a problem.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, yellowsubmarine said:

Armstrong/Dack/Dolan or Brereton/Dack/Armstrong

Not sure where's Dack gonna fit in.

Unless we sacrifice one of the midfield 3 (from Holtby, Johnson, Rothwell) to play behind the front 3 in a 4-2-1-3.

Think your first lineup. Dack is going to be CF, Armstrong left, Dolan right. The idea will likely be that can smoothly move into a 4312 if Dack wants to drop deeper.

With Dolan cementing his place and Dack coming back the players who should be nervous are Brereton and Gallagher. They need to start scoring goals very soon or they are going to find themselves frozen out.

I know there will be a lot of "Mowbray has his favourites yada yada" on here in response to the above, but he's dropped the likes of Smallwood, Bennett, Walton, Nuttall, Samuel etc when they haven't performed. Hes not going to leave out the goals of Dack or Armstrong, and Dolan has already scored two himself.

So they better start finding the onion bag pronto.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Think your first lineup. Dack is going to be CF, Armstrong left, Dolan right. The idea will likely be that can smoothly move into a 4312 if Dack wants to drop deeper.

With Dolan cementing his place and Dack coming back the players who should be nervous are Brereton and Gallagher. They need to start scoring goals very soon or they are going to find themselves frozen out.

I know there will be a lot of "Mowbray has his favourites yada yada" on here in response to the above, but he's dropped the likes of Smallwood, Bennett, Walton, Nuttall, Samuel etc when they haven't performed. Hes not going to leave out the goals of Dack or Armstrong, and Dolan has already scored two himself.

So they better start finding the onion bag pronto.

I think " Dolan cementing a place " is being a bit optimistic. Another quiet game against Forest and he'll be on the bench again.