BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I'm trying to think of the last player with world class attributes that trotted out in the blue and white halves. 

Bentley's crossing, maybe? Bellamy's pace?

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

On the world class discussion, only been the following since the Prem started, who were just full on undisputable world class players that have played for us.

Shearer

Friedel

Duff

I look at it like not necessarily World class attributes,  but who has been on the pitch for Rovers whilst they were performing at a World class level, even if for a short period. 

For example, for at least 1 season, I'd argue Benni Mac, Bentley, Bellamy, and Roque were all performing at that level.

If u picked them up and dropped them in any club in World, at that moment, I reckon they're on the teamsheet every week. (Including Barca, Juve etc)

Certainly doesn't make them anywhere near World class level in general though.

It's been a long time since we've seen anything like that on the pitch for us. But, almost 10 years in the Championship, I wouldn't expect to see it.

We need to get back to the Prem to have a chance of seeing that kind of quality again in reality.

Jordan Rhodes probably the player that's got me most excited in this Champ era. Just cos it was so much fun having someone in the team you knew would be banging in goals week after week. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He was brilliant at Chelsea, him and Robben on the wings.

Yeh Duff was unquestionably still world class at Chelsea. I always feel he was slightly better here, injuries robbing him of a tiny bit of his edge, but I'm biased. But we are only talking the difference between being the absolute best LW in the world with us and being one of the top 3 or so after.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Watched Alesaami for part of the game, I"m not somebody who normally slags players off, but he made Bell look like like Roberto Carlos. Nothing positive I can say at all except that there's still time to get a good loan in instead. 

Looked like he had all of the same flaws as Bell to me.

Starts too narrow and let crosses in far too easily.

Very stand-offish, none of the aggression some described previously, and always seemed to pass backwards.

Can't remember many crosses either.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Yeh Duff was unquestionably still world class at Chelsea. I always feel he was slightly better here, injuries robbing him of a tiny bit of his edge, but I'm biased. But we are only talking the difference between being the absolute best LW in the world with us and being one of the top 3 or so after.

I thought he was the best left winger in the comp when he played for Eire in the World Cup.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I'm trying to think of the last player with world class attributes that trotted out in the blue and white halves. 

Bentley's crossing, maybe? Bellamy's pace?

Shearer - HAD THE LOT!

• Like 2

After tonight's game it is a NO from me on Alesaami. The whole team did not perform any good, but he was maybe the worst of the bunch. Clearly lacking match fitness as well. The norwegian coach has his favourites, and plays them anyway. Even if they don't play regulary in their team or in Alesaami's case, doesn't have a club.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I thought he was the best left winger in the comp when he played for Eire in the World Cup.

You thought that because he absolutely was. That was exactly when he showed he was the best in the world at that time.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

But for injuries I’d argue Dunn could’ve been world class

There's a difference between World class and International class. In my book World class means the best 11 players in the World in their position at any one time. Freidel was the best goalkeeper in the World for a spell, Duffer was the best left winger at one time. Shearer was probably the best striker in the World in his time at Rovers. Dunny wasn't at that level and I don't think he would have been even if he had been injury free.

• Like 4