BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

If Rothwell is world class at running with the ball then Rochina was out of this world.

Much as I rated Bryan Douglas as a ball player when it comes to running with the ball Damien Duff took some beating. The thing about Dougie was he didn't have to run that fast, he was a magician, he could beat people at walking pace !  As a pal of mine said when he played with Bryan at Great Harwood - " He could beat you stood still Tyrone ".

Scott Sellers was good. Start Ripley, Mike Ferguson, Stuart Metcalfe in his youth, all were great to watch. Mike Harrison wasn't a dribbler but he was a tremendously hard running and direct winger.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Much as I rated Bryan Douglas as a ball player when it comes to running with the ball Damien Duff took some beating. The thing about Dougie was he didn't have to run that fast, he was a magician, he could beat people at walking pace !  As a pal of mine said when he played with Bryan at Great Harwood - " He could beat you stood still Tyrone ".

Scott Sellers was good. Start Ripley, Mike Ferguson, Stuart Metcalfe in his youth, all were great to watch. Mike Harrison wasn't a dribbler but he was a tremendously hard running and direct winger.

From the one's iv'e seen Duff was outstanding, pace and trickery also was probably not even at his peak when he left Rovers.

Sellars had more skill in his toenail at this level than the likes of Rothwell he just lacked a bit in the physical and pace sides of it. He beat men with ease coming inside and outside though and his end product was good although not so much an eye for goal. He also took it up to top level comfortably enough later in his career.

For out and out basic wingers Ripley and Gillespie were as good as you'd find outside of 'world class'.  I like Rothwell but for me he's more in the Rochina type mould than anywhere near the likes of Sellars etc.  Looks to be trying to bat a league above his true ability in terms of being creative.

Edited by tomphil

The first time I saw Gillespie was when he was playing in a  pre season friendly at Rochdale. It was Utd res v Rochdale 1st team. Beckham, Scholes, Butt, the Neville's were all playing. You could see they were good players but Gillespie was head and shoulders above any of them. It was like watching George Best all over again. He was really quick, had terrific foot speed with the ball, he could go either way and he was very direct. A left full backs bad dream.

He really missed his way.

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, neophox said:

Steven Nzonzi - that was a good player for Rovers.

Quality player although not universally popular. I was a big fan - but if you told me he was a future world cup winner 10 years ago I would have been surprised!

The Fonz was very good, but I wouldn't really say he was up there with even the likes of Robbie Savage or Flitcroft in terms of his impact at Rovers. Not followed his career too closely since he left Rovers,

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
10 minutes ago, Glosrover said:

el Hadj Diouf - world class bad attitude and taste in bling

Remember seeing his chrome wrapped SLR (number plate F14NCY) absolutely smashing it down Deansgate in Manchester not long after he’d been banned from driving....

Obviously couldn’t see the driver as the windows were tinted and the speed he was travelling at, but I’d be shocked if it was anyone else...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

It’s probably been covered but that Aleesami fella went viral on twitter last night for all the wrong reasons. Had a stinker and then some by all accounts. Sounds like our kind of left back!

We do have to remember he's not playing weekly due to being a free agent, so his match fitness is probably awful. 

Everyone was saying he would be an upgrade on Bell too right? 

6 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

We do have to remember he's not playing weekly due to being a free agent, so his match fitness is probably awful. 

Only passing on what I read. You're right, his match fitness must be miles off which is why it's a surprise he played!

As for Manning - not a chance he'll go for £5m. Out of contract next summer isn't he?

1 minute ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Only passing on what I read. You're right, his match fitness must be miles off which is why it's a surprise he played!

As for Manning - not a chance he'll go for £5m. Out of contract next summer isn't he?

Yeah I know. Feel like some people (not mentioning names) on this thread read everything as gospel so had to point out his match fitness.

No chance! Josh King a proven premier League player going for £10-17m. 

No chance Manning worth £5m.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The first time I saw Gillespie was when he was playing in a  pre season friendly at Rochdale. It was Utd res v Rochdale 1st team. Beckham, Scholes, Butt, the Neville's were all playing. You could see they were good players but Gillespie was head and shoulders above any of them. It was like watching George Best all over again. He was really quick, had terrific foot speed with the ball, he could go either way and he was very direct. A left full backs bad dream.

He really missed his way.

i often think  keith was the most talented winger iv`e ever seen,on a going day he was unplayable,sadly his mind was often elsewhere,remember him waltzing through the barcelona defence whenever he pleased when he played for newcastle and his absolute torturing of the arsenal full back van bronckhurst

30 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I mentioned this about his match fitness last night. Still I was not surprised that he started. Our national coach is a stubborn old man, tends to play his favourite players every single game, even if they don't have a club...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Everyone assumed he would be an upgrade on Bell - he isn't. 

2 hours ago, Glosrover said:

el Hadj Diouf - world class bad attitude and taste in bling

Wouldn’t say he had a bad attitude football wise, he’d just do anything and everything to win. We could do with a few more like that now, Trav is the closest we have.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Shout out for Noel Brotherston, who, on his day, was a genius. Sadly those days were few and far between, but when he was on song, my god. 

• Like 5