BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

2 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Barry Douglas would make us playoff candidates imo.

I think the main thing that will decide if we are playoff candidates - and same with virtually every other decent team in the league - is how injury free we stay. If some of Lenihan, Ayala, Armstrong, Holtby get knocked out for significant periods we are screwed no matter who we sign at left back.

A decent left back will certainly help though!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Also @JoeH did you have reservations over Cunningham in the current team due to his lack of pace? Douglas is no faster but then again, Bell is fast and does absolutely nothing with it. Not an issue to me but would this be a reservation regarding if we signed Douglas in your opinion?

Yes I think pace is a key factor in the current system for our full backs. But Bell is relatively fast and it means nothing alongside all the other key factors.

Yes it would definitely be on the cons list for Douglas.

11 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

IF we sign a Douglas then this may be the closest we’ve ever been to unanimous agreement that the windows been a success, right? 

I'd be pretty content with it yeh, as long as the signings actually pan out well of course. But it would mean we had recruited in all the areas I wanted to. I initially wanted another CB, but Williams and the kids are enough for the 3rd choice. Travis' injury makes me wish we had been able to loan a Garner or someone for a while, so not doing is a bit of a disappointment. And only getting a loan for LB means next summer we won't just need one LB (again) but probably two, as Bell's deal is up and there aren't many who would like to see us renew it at present.

But given the covid circumstances, FFP looming after this season's accounts, and the Dolan bonus, I'd still give it a thumbs up overall for now.

10 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

No. Same defence as 4 years ago.

What are you talking about? 4 years ago our defence was Williams, Hoban and Greer starting 15th October 2016. Lenihan and Nyambe just started to get some game time. 

Nyambe and Lenihan are far better players now. Ayala and Douglas would be a massive improvement on that lot. Add Rankin-Costello as right back option instead of Jason Lowe, I think it's fair to say there is no comparison. 

Edited by briansol
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Douglas is as good a signing as we could’ve hoped for. 

Got to be careful over his injury record which is a worry for me

41 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

IF we sign a Douglas then this may be the closest we’ve ever been to unanimous agreement that the windows been a success, right? 

Think the window has been success so far. Two keepers in, experience centre back in, left back coming in either Douglas or Thomas. Plus Dolan being a bonus. Shame PNE let him go. Clowns. 

The signing of Douglas has its pros and cons imo.

There is no doubt that he bringing some crucial promotion experience to our young side, and at the age of 31 you would like to think that he isn’t quite past it. In terms of his quality on the ball there is little to question, his delivery is fantastic and he offers us a reliable set piece option. I’d go as far as to say that when it comes to final delivery I believe he would be our best option from fullback. 

On the flip side I question if he suits our style of play. I look at Leeds from last season, whose style has significant similarities to the one we have now adopted, where he actually struggled to fit in. While he played a significant part in wolves promotion a couple of years back, I don’t think the same can be said for his role in leed’s one. I am not quite sure if he has the pace or the legs to play in our current system, which needs both attributes for the press and our play in transition. 

In terms of his defending, I don’t really have a clue, though I do worry that his best form has come from the wingback position where defensive qualities are less important than at full back. Nevertheless I wouldn’t be against this signing and he’ll have my full backing if he joins, I don’t doubt that he’ll be an improvement on the bell of last season.

• Like 1

If we can add a left back without losing anybody I think it’s been a very good window for us. Dolan has been a very welcome surprise package and the form of Johnson has been like a new signing after being pretty average last season. We don’t have the depth to manage a heap of injuries but our starting 11 will be very competitive and could see us have a decent season.

Only concern is that we know we are a team capable of going on an 8 game winning streak only to go and lose away at Wycombe.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ricky said:

If we can add a left back without losing anybody I think it’s been a very good window for us. Dolan has been a very welcome surprise package and the form of Johnson has been like a new signing after being pretty average last season. We don’t have the depth to manage a heap of injuries but our starting 11 will be very competitive and could see us have a decent season.

Only concern is that we know we are a team capable of going on an 8 game winning streak only to go and lose away at Wycombe.

8 wins out of 9 will do just fine; even better of the matches we lose aren't promotion contenders. ?

It would be on the face of it a good window if we got Douglas over the lin but of course there are some ifs and buts in there.

The main signing that stands out is Ayala, if he stays fit he should be exactly what we needed. Douglas would be a good short term stop gap to the left back position and a proven player again assuming he doesnt get injuries, although we would be in a similar position next summer to what we faced this summer in goal, with no players there. That being said, if we dont go up this year I suspect there will be a few major sales.

In goal it is all a bit more uncertain. Kaminski has started well although he hasnt been called upon very often so time will tell if he is the real deal. And the other fella is a total unknown at this stage but in an ideal world will not be called upon if Kaminski stays fit and in form.

Aside from that, Dolan is a nice little bonus. There would be questions about squad depth though, our bench has looked very weak for the first few games and I still think we could have done with quality cover for Travis and a wide player with real quality but if, and its a big if that we get Douglas, we have at least addressed the main 3 areas.

1 hour ago, Ricky said:

If we don't end up signing a left-back its a disgrace and will surely come back on us.

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

No. Same defence as 4 years ago.

The question was if Douglas signs, and I’m sorry but I fail to see how a defence of Nyambe, Lenihan, Ayala and Douglas is the same defence as Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Williams. 

(Gordon Greer also made 30 apps that season but I’ve gone with Mulgrew to try and not be biased in any way).

2 hours ago, TruRover said:

The signing of Douglas has its pros and cons imo.

There is no doubt that he bringing some crucial promotion experience to our young side, and at the age of 31 you would like to think that he isn’t quite past it. In terms of his quality on the ball there is little to question, his delivery is fantastic and he offers us a reliable set piece option. I’d go as far as to say that when it comes to final delivery I believe he would be our best option from fullback. 

On the flip side I question if he suits our style of play. I look at Leeds from last season, whose style has significant similarities to the one we have now adopted, where he actually struggled to fit in. While he played a significant part in wolves promotion a couple of years back, I don’t think the same can be said for his role in leed’s one. I am not quite sure if he has the pace or the legs to play in our current system, which needs both attributes for the press and our play in transition. 

In terms of his defending, I don’t really have a clue, though I do worry that his best form has come from the wingback position where defensive qualities are less important than at full back. Nevertheless I wouldn’t be against this signing and he’ll have my full backing if he joins, I don’t doubt that he’ll be an improvement on the bell of last season.

Excellent post.

The lad's been around a fair bit - think he's had something like six clubs in ten years;  there must be a reason for that.

Additional, concern for me is that he seems a bit injury prone - we need players who we know will be available for getting on for 90% of our games.

However, on balance, think he would be a good signing for the season and would take him over Bell any day of the week.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, 47er said:

If we don't end up signing a left-back its a disgrace and will surely come back on us.

It's not a disgrace at all. It means a decent option (ie an upgrade on the current left back) hasn't been available at a price we were willing to pay.

I find it bizarre given some of the absolute dross that's been signed over the last few years which has drained massive money from the club, that any Rovers fan would be saying "just buy any LB". No. We'll just have to wee with the willy we have. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Ben Frost said:

It's not a disgrace at all. It means a decent option (ie an upgrade on the current left back) hasn't been available at a price we were willing to pay.

I find it bizarre given some of the absolute dross that's been signed over the last few years which has drained massive money from the club, that any Rovers fan would be saying "just buy any LB". No. We'll just have to wee with the willy we have. 

"Any" left back? With the supposedly additional scope given to us by an extended European scouting network, if we end the window with just the proven to be inadequate Amarii Bell as a sole left back, that isnt demanding that we should blow money on someome not up to it, that is a failure in terms of recruitment in that position.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Ben Frost said:

I don't agree. I think Bell gets unfair abuse, but it's clear he isn't a reliable option and the system we use required incredibly fit full backs. What happens if he gets injured? We will be playing Rothwell at full back - you think I am joking but that is why will happen.

A new left back is utterly crucial.

• Like 2