BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 hour ago, Ben Frost said:

It's not a disgrace at all. It means a decent option (ie an upgrade on the current left back) hasn't been available at a price we were willing to pay.

I find it bizarre given some of the absolute dross that's been signed over the last few years which has drained massive money from the club, that any Rovers fan would be saying "just buy any LB". No. We'll just have to wee with the willy we have. 

Yet if we do sign someone who  subsequently turns out to be useless, I'm sure you'll be all for it initially!

You'll applaud us if we don't make a signing as it supposedly demonstrates financial prudence but  equally if we do sign anyone you'll applaud that as well.

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

The question was if Douglas signs, and I’m sorry but I fail to see how a defence of Nyambe, Lenihan, Ayala and Douglas is the same defence as Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Williams. 

(Gordon Greer also made 30 apps that season but I’ve gone with Mulgrew to try and not be biased in any way).

Last time i looked our defence was Nyambe Lenihan Williams and Bell. Virtually the same defence in league 1 season 2017/18.

Keeper is same as Raya, and we have added a mid thirties carthorse.  Has Douglas signed?

If Del is starting we have stood still

Edited by Sparks Rover

• Backroom
9 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Last time i looked our defence was Nyambe Lenihan Williams and Bell. Virtually the same defence in league 1 season 2017/18.

Keeper is same as Raya, and we have added a mid thirties carthorse.  Has Douglas signed?

If Del is starting we have stood stil

But Bell barely played for us in L1.

Who's this 'mid thirties carthorse' we've signed?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ben Frost said:

It's not a disgrace at all. It means a decent option (ie an upgrade on the current left back) hasn't been available at a price we were willing to pay.

That's not true at all. What it means is that we haven't found and persuaded a left back available at a price we were willing to pay.

To say otherwise as though it's a fact is to say that our recruitment is perfect. Nobody in the world has perfect recruitment.

Loved your work making the score for Dark btw.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

If Del is starting we have stood still

Are you messing about on a wind up or do you just not have a clue?

Some of the stuff you come out with.

Mols better than Buckley?If Mols is up to it why has he gone on loan to the Spanish 4th division,I'm sure if he is as good as you say then he would have been scouted by other EFL teams and signed.

Dack an awful signing and crap player when we bought him according to you.

Now you are calling Ayala a carthorse despite him being one of the best defenders at this level in years gone by and only 29 years old.

The same defence as four years ago.As has been pointed out both Lenihen and Nyambe are better players now,Ayala a top defender at this level and if we sign Douglas he has two promotions to the Prem in last 3 years.

Talking nonsense, you must be on a wind up

9 hours ago, Ben Frost said:

I find it bizarre given some of the absolute dross that's been signed over the last few years which has drained massive money from the club, that any Rovers fan would be saying "just buy any LB". No. We'll just have to wee with the willy we have. 

No Rovers fan has ever said "just buy any left-back"----you've made that up.

To go into a new season where we hope to at least threaten the top six with only one left-back and that a very vulnerable Bell is/would be a disgrace. We have known for a long time we needed keeper(s), centre-back and leg-back. Our defence was crap last season.

Do you really think Bell will play 46 games? Any other club in the division risking that?

I'd say it's been a 'fairly decent' window improving to 'decent' if we get Douglas. 

What's been significantly less decent has been this thread - usually I enjoy the utter ridiculousness of it; such as, some bloke in Burnley claiming to be Ben Whiteman's brother saying he is signing for us and posters immediately assuming he's coming. Lovely stuff. However this year has been the same old people sniping back and forward always insisting on getting the last word. Perhaps it's Covid. 

Anyway, bring on the close of the window so we can moan about the next Mowbray winless streak I say!

• Like 2

LT reporting that a left back is being worked on very hard.

It seems that Douglas is more likely than the Leicester youngster. Douglas not ideal but he ticks most boxes.

LT also saying Rovers trying to get EFL placements for Lyons and Fisher and that Mulgrew talks remain stuck.

1 minute ago, philipl said:

LT reporting that a left back is being worked on very hard.

It seems that Douglas is more likely than the Leicester youngster. Douglas not ideal but he ticks most boxes.

LT also saying Rovers trying to get EFL placements for Lyons and Fisher and that Mulgrew talks remain stuck.

I saw Fleetwood released a player on a mutual today, could be attempting to free up space for a Mulgrew loan. For me any kind of %, whether it’s 20 or 80, paid by another club for Charlie’s wages, would be good.

12 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I saw Fleetwood released a player on a mutual today, could be attempting to free up space for a Mulgrew loan. For me any kind of %, whether it’s 20 or 80, paid by another club for Charlie’s wages, would be good.

80% of Charlie's wages would be 35% of Fleetwood's total permitted L1 wage cap.

That is the magnitude of the problem.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I will agree with Sparks Rovers that is is completely pointless theorising about it being a good window "if" player X Y or Z signs etc.

That isn't what sparks rover said ,he said we have the same defence as four years ago.I didn't realise Kaminski and Ayala had been playing for us 4 year ago, and Lenihen had not long started playing centre half at that point.

8 hours ago, SoldierMo said:

I would prefer Thomas from leicester....likely to stay fit...has pace and can attack

I get the fitness worries about Douglas but otherwise and on a temporary, I cant see how a kid who has only ever played 3 senior games would be preferable to a left back who has been part of 2 promoted teams in 3 seasons.

In regards to "can attack" Douglas very much can, you can see by the goals and assists he has at this level. Also an expert from dead balls. Having pace is not critical to being able to get forward. Bell has pace but it is rendered useless because he lacks the urgency in his play and the technical ability to take advantage. Douglas would lose in a sprint but he can whip in a dangerous ball.

To be honest, it is defensive misgivings that would make me prefer someone like Cunningham who is good going both ways. But I would be happy enough with Douglas.

• Like 3