BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I get the fitness worries about Douglas but otherwise and on a temporary, I cant see how a kid who has only ever played 3 senior games would be preferable to a left back who has been part of 2 promoted teams in 3 seasons.

In regards to "can attack" Douglas very much can, you can see by the goals and assists he has at this level. Also an expert from dead balls. Having pace is not critical to being able to get forward. Bell has pace but it is rendered useless because he lacks the urgency in his play and the technical ability to take advantage. Douglas would lose in a sprint but he can whip in a dangerous ball.

To be honest, it is defensive misgivings that would make me prefer someone like Cunningham who is good going both ways. But I would be happy enough with Douglas.

I only saw that Thomas play in a game at the end of last season. He looked a very handy player to me. Definitely a future regular top level player. But that was only off one game. Magloire looked equally good in that friendly against Leicester.

Any player can get injured at any time, even the ones with no previous history. Having said that I'd rather we didn't sign players who have already had their share of time laid on the treatment table.

I can't say I'd be overjoyed if we signed Cunningham, too much of a risk for me. We'll already have Dack and Travis coming back from pretty bad injuries.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

That isn't what sparks rover said ,he said we have the same defence as four years ago.I didn't realise Kaminski and Ayala had been playing for us 4 year ago, and Lenihen had not long started playing centre half at that point.

Back 4 ....i checked, in some games in the seaon 2017/18 we had Ryan,  Darragh, Del and Bell for some games.  If you think this is good enough for 4 seasons later irrespective of the goalie, good for you.

If we start the next game with Ayala, Douglas, Darragh and Ryan I will be happier.  Somehow i dont think we will.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Back 4 ....i checked, in some games in the seaon 2017/18 we had Ryan,  Darragh, Del and Bell for some games.  If you think this is good enough for 4 seasons later irrespective of the goalie, good for you.

If we start the next game with Ayala, Douglas, Darragh and Ryan I will be happier.  Somehow i dont think we will.

This year's first choice back five will be Kaminski,Nyambe/Rankin Costello, Lenihen, Ayala,New left back as we will sign someone before deadline so it isn't the same back four as 4 years ago is it?Both Lenihen and Nyambe are better players now 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, islander200 said:

This year's first choice back five will be Kaminski,Nyambe/Rankin Costello, Lenihen, Ayala,New left back as we will sign someone before deadline so it isn't the same back four as 4 years ago is it?Both Lenihen and Nyambe are better players now 

Nyambe is going I'd say in may.  

Hopefully next game isnt the same back 4 as 4 seaons ago...

21 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

And now he is seemingly back on sky sports, trying to play the charming old man routine and fabricating stories to try and appear insightful.

He was telling a story about Benjani last week, saying that City offered 10m on deadline day after he hadnt scored all season, so Redknapp supposedly had to coax and convince him into reluctantly moving, before he fell asleep at the airport and nearly missed the airport.

Lovely ancedote but Benjani came out in the media a day or two after and said that it wasnt true, he was actually top scorer in the league at that part, he didnt fall asleep at the airport and the fee was less than half what Redknapp claimed!

The tale Merson tells sums it up when he said to Arry he fancied playing but didn't want to move down there. Redknapp said  something like train on your own and just turn up the day before games and stay over. Don't care what you do rest of the time as long as you do it in a match and we'll pay you X amount plus bonuses.

Probably worked out quite well but just shows how some of these guys work with other peoples money.  No long term thinking for the club whatsoever.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Nyambe is going I'd say in may.  

Hopefully next game isnt the same back 4 as 4 seaons ago...

Didn't realise we'd resigned Jason Lowe, Tommie Hoban and Gordon Greer.

Or if you're stretching the definition of 4 seasons...
Paul Caddis, Elliot Ward and have brought Charlie Mulgrew in from the cold.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bringdunnback said:

What the hell is the point of a message board like this then?

That's what fans do, theorise....

Chill out, you can discuss whether you'd like player X, Y or Z all you want. 

What I mean is you can't say it's been a good window on the basis of people who haven't actually signed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

What I mean is you can't say it's been a good window on the basis of people who haven't actually signed.

Who said that though?I seen a few say IF we sign Douglas we would all surely be happy with our window.It will be a good window IF we sign Douglas or another left back of similar ability.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It’s been a good window so far without Douglas / a left back. If we sign one of those then it’s been a very good window.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, neophox said:

Downing still a freebie.

Why is he still a freebie though.He is probably looking for a similar contract as he had with us last year,hence him still being available.

Did very well for us last year and has a touch of class but where would he play if we resigned him.Don't see where he fits in if we continue with the high press.

12 minutes ago, neophox said:

Downing still a freebie.

Have to say I'm surprised about that, and can only assume he's asking for a similar wage when clubs are cutting their cloth accordingly.

There are good arguments (which I don't 100% buy, but whatever) that he slowed our play down too much last year, but he still created  great deal of chances. Played almost all of our games, versatile. Even if we have different priorities, amazed that other teams haven't taken an interest. 

1 minute ago, philipl said:

Bielsa has ok'd negotiating a loan with buy option for Douglas to Rovers.

Apparently Leeds are considering offering Douglas a contract extension as a negotiating tactic with Rovers.

Where is this from? Makes no sense, he isnt an asset to the club, he will be 32 next summer as a free agent.

• Like 1

Get this left back sorted on loan by Friday and this has been a really solid window.

The next problem arises very quickly though, contract renewals. We have a lot of 1st teamers out of contract out of contract and that needs sorting before the January window.

In the current climate these contracts might be tougher to renew so if we a re not proactive we could end up with another rebuild next summer. 

As it stands we have a top half championship core squad now  if we don't get promotion we will just need to add a few flourishes and prop up one or two positions in the summer.

3 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Get this left back sorted on loan by Friday and this has been a really solid window.

The next problem arises very quickly though, contract renewals. We have a lot of 1st teamers out of contract out of contract and that needs sorting before the January window.

In the current climate these contracts might be tougher to renew so if we a re not proactive we could end up with another rebuild next summer. 

As it stands we have a top half championship core squad now  if we don't get promotion we will just need to add a few flourishes and prop up one or two positions in the summer.

Only a problem if there is somewhere for them to go.

Outside the Prem there isn't in the Covid times.