BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

27 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I don’t claim either would do well in the Premier League, I claim that comparatively Holtby would do better than Bannan. Bannan suits the Championship and for me Holtby’s experience and play style suits the Premier League.

Whilst both are past their best, I think Holtby would definitely do better (how much better that is I don’t know).

Holtby is a far better player than Bannan.

• Like 1

Even if we get Douglas, I would still take Downing if he accepts the contract we offered him.

It is a long hugely demanding season with typically two games a week.

There will be games where having Downing's class available will make a difference between drawing and winning.

Let's not forget he turned in at least two man of the match performances in 2020 so far and he never let us down.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, philipl said:

I would still take Downing if he accepts the contract we offered him.

There will be games where having Downing's class available will make a difference between drawing and winning.

Let's not forget he turned in at least two man of the match performances in 2020 so far and he never let us down.

Usually agree with what you say, however I would avoid Downing class at keeping possession however felt he slowed down so many moves because he was too slow to turn possession round, wouldn't suit this fast high press football we currently play.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I don’t care what anyone says about Bannan (Imo a good Champ CM) IF we had sold Armstrong and Dack (equivalent to Watkins and Benrahma at Brentford) for £50m and had just had a bid turned down for Barry Bannan THIS BOARD WOULD GO NUCLEAR!!

It's how Brentford operate they have a history of selling players for large fees and replacing them with very good players. Something that you certainly couldn't say for your mates who own and run our club. Practically everything that Benham has done since he took over Brentford has been good for the club again the complete opposite of what has happened since your mates bought Rovers. 

If Rovers had made £50 Million on players we wouldn't see it reinvested in the club, as we saw when Rhodes, Marshall, Cairney, Duffy, Hanley, Gestede, Olsson and King all left in the space of a year and the only cash buy we made was Williams for £250K.

Also you have completely neglected the fact that Brentford have spent £10 Million on a striker and he has already scored more goals for them in 4 games than Ben Brereton has managed for us in 2 and a half years. 

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 1

Ouch for Brentford. You get feeling that they really needed to go up last season when they had the chance (a bit like Shrewsbury when we were in league 1). I can't see how they'll be as strong this year having lost their 2 best players.

Championship is so competitive this year, let's hope we can have a real go

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

It's how Brentford operate they have a history of selling players for large fees and replacing them with very good players. Something that you certainly couldn't say for your mates who own and run our club. Practically everything that Benham has done since he took over Brentford has been good for the club again the complete opposite of what has happened since your mates bought Rovers. 

If Rovers had made £50 Million on players we wouldn't see it reinvested in the club, as we saw when Rhodes, Marshall, Cairney, Duffy, Hanley, Gestede, Olsson and King all left in the space of a year and the only cash buy we made was Williams for £250K.

Also you have completely neglected the fact that Brentford have spent £10 Million on a striker and he has already scored more goals for them in 4 games than Ben Brereton has managed for us in 2 and a half years. 

Bit salty cocker....in spite of your Brentford ‘love-in’ my point still stands. How fuckin bad would our residents take losing AA and Bradley Dack and replacing with Ivan Toney and Barry Bannan? ?????‍♂️

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, philipl said:

Even if we get Douglas, I would still take Downing if he accepts the contract we offered him.

Downing was class for us and would be an excellent signing for the right money. 

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Our offer might have been very different ut he didn't take it so maybe he thinks he should be on something reasonably similar.

It's his prerogative entirely but personally I'd look elsewhere.

Rovers and Downing apparently talking. Obviously talking and signing are two different things.

He has apparently being keeping himself fit and he has only had the equivalent of a normal summer break away which at 36 cannot be begrudged..

I don't know if he is into coaching but having someone like Downing around the club must be fantastic for Dolan, Chapman and Brennan.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BRFC4EVA said:

Ouch for Brentford. You get feeling that they really needed to go up last season when they had the chance (a bit like Shrewsbury when we were in league 1). I can't see how they'll be as strong this year having lost their 2 best players.

Championship is so competitive this year, let's hope we can have a real go

They’ve blown it...Watkins and Benrahma for Toney and Bannan! ?

• Like 2

Downing would be great at the right price, a player who can slot into lots of roles and add key experience in the dressing room. But the right price for a bit part player is way lower than what he’ll be seeking.

Just now, Paul Mani said:

They’ve blown it...Watkins and Benrahma for Toney and Bannan! ?

“The Brentford Model”. Gets glorified but people would hate it in action here

7 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I agree Joe and I’m not knocking their model it’s been good for them...

But jeeeez....can you imagine if we had sold Dack and Arma this summer and replaced them with that motley crew Brentford have signed!! ?

Edited by Paul Mani

10 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Downing would be great at the right price, a player who can slot into lots of roles and add key experience in the dressing room. But the right price for a bit part player is way lower than what he’ll be seeking.

We will not always be able to play high tempo all game, against some sides we will need to slow it down abit and Downing is your man for that

16 minutes ago, philipl said:

.I don't know if he is into coaching but having someone like Downing around the club must be fantastic for Dolan, Chapman and Brennan.

Disagree. All he'd do is keep them out of the side and if he doesn't there's no point him being here in the first place.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JoeH said:

They’re both midfielders.

I wouldn't call Dack a midfielder. Bannan is far more comparable with the likes of Johnson and Travis than Dack.

18 minutes ago, JoeH said:

It get's glorified because it has taken them from spending years in the bottom 2 tiers to within 1 game of the Premier League and now in a lovely new stadium as well. Our model (if we even have one) has taken us from mid table in the Premier League to where we are now via a stop off in the third tier on the way. The fact that we are even talking about a club like Brentford in the same breathe as Rovers is both a testament to the model that they have created and it is also a damning indictment on those running the show at Ewood.

19 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Bit salty cocker....in spite of your Brentford ‘love-in’ my point still stands. How fuckin bad would our residents take losing AA and Bradley Dack and replacing with Ivan Toney and Barry Bannan?

Don't worry with your mates running the show we'd never spend £10 Million on a player no matter how much we made in sales. When we sale Dack and Armstrong next summer they will be replaced with free transfers on cheap wages. Just like was done when the likes of Rhodes, Gestede, Cairney, Hanley Marshall, Duffy and King all left. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

I don’t care what anyone says about Bannan (Imo a good Champ CM) IF we had sold Armstrong and Dack (equivalent to Watkins and Benrahma at Brentford) for £50m and had just had a bid turned down for Barry Bannan THIS BOARD WOULD GO NUCLEAR!!

Agree with this. The owners never seem to put Mowbray under any pressure to sell anyone.

Which only makes his failure to mount a challenge all the more unacceptable.

• Like 1

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Agree with this. The owners never seem to put Mowbray under any pressure to sell anyone.

Which only makes his failure to mount a challenge all the more unacceptable.

Difficult one. I don’t think the manager would have any problem in selling one of our top players for £30m and then buying 2 or 3 £5m players....he’s said as much on several occasions. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, superniko said:

Really surprised to see people wanting us to offer Downing a contract. He slows everything down needing 3+ touches before moving at all. 
Playing him CM last season meant less time for Rothwell who has shone in the few games we’ve had so far. 

There’s ongoing talk about where Dack fits into our team currently, when you add in Travis (when fit) as well as Buckley is there any need to add to our wage bill with Downing.

As for the mocking of Brentford it’s a bit embarrassing, they’ve made £50m+ on 2 players and will still finish above us. Bizarre comments saying we’d hate their model etc... Ah yes, it would be dreadful in comparison to what Venkys and Waggot can serve us up!

No ones mocked Brentford. On the contrary, it’s been accepted that their model has been good for them.

But Watkins and Benrahma for Toney and Bannan is shit. And would’ve caused carnage if it were us.

Also, I wouldn’t bet on them finishing above us.