BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

13 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

I understand the reason for him being in the squad and being Club Captain. What many didnt understand and why the 'hatred' arose was the shoe horn effect around the team Mowbray did last season often to the detriment of the team when a place on the bench was required for him.

I understand why. But it was the managers choice to pick him. So the ‘hate’ towards Bennett is / was still completely uncalled for imo.

Bennett has literally NEVER walked onto a pitch for us and not given 100%

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

SG as a centre forward, I agree that there’s something to work with, however the ‘wide forward’ thing has to stop and stop now.

I also think that the loan signing of Elliott puts more competition into the wide areas and positions SG more naturally into a central position.

SG as first sub for Arma with Elliott, BB, Dolan and Chapman as the wide forwards....until Dack comes back ?

4 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

SG as a centre forward, I agree that there’s something to work with, however the ‘wide forward’ thing has to stop and stop now.

Spot on. Now with a selection of 'Wingers' at the club. SG as a true centre forward may work as a plan B to the pace on offer with Armstrong on plan A. But this will rely on him being confident in himself that he can stand up to a big centre half and also that these wingers can cross accurately, an art which seems to have faded in the modern game

6 minutes ago, 47er said:

You mean he's won the right to keep making the same mistake?

No. I was just pointing out a fact. But ultimately the manager has to win games. Previously he hasn’t had too many options in that wide forward area but now he has plenty with addition of Dolan and Elliott plus development of BB.

He may still choose to play SG out wide to isolate a fullback and whip some crosses in from Douglas. But if SG can’t cut it out there then why would he do that with those I’ve mentioned on the bench?

Mowbrays job is to win games and get us out of this league. He’s got enough credit in the bank with Venkys and the fans to not start his two biggest buys. But he will lose his job if he can’t get this squad up in the next two seasons. Top 6 a minimum this season, up in two at the very latest!

Edited by Paul Mani

3 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

He may still choose to play SG out wide to isolate a fullback and whip some crosses in from Douglas. But if SG can’t cut it out there then why would he do that with those I’ve mentioned on the bench? 

Because he paid £5m for him.

• Like 1

Interesting that Manning went for just 250k. You would assume we would have known about this having been linked with him previously - we would have been alerted by an agent I am sure. Means we either made a decision to not buy him or he made a decision he didn't want to come to us. My thinking is TM wanted a bit more experience in the squad and the character that Douglas apparently has. Winning mentality too with 2 promotions under his belt. I guess the plan is to get him on a contract after the loan if he does well.

Manning offered the better long term option and excellent resale value at 250k but I wonder if TM was put off for any reason.

• Like 1

Just now, JacknOry said:

Interesting that Manning went for just 250k. You would assume we would have known about this having been linked with him previously - we would have been alerted by an agent I am sure. Means we either made a decision to not buy him or he made a decision he didn't want to come to us. My thinking is TM wanted a bit more experience in the squad and the character that Douglas apparently has. Winning mentality too with 2 promotions under his belt. I guess the plan is to get him on a contract after the loan if he does well.

Manning offered the better long term option and excellent resale value at 250k but I wonder if TM was put off for any reason.

Huge wages apparently 

3 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Suspect the overall package would have meant it was Manning or the four players we've brought in which swayed the decision

27 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

It’s all pretty irrelevant really. There’s lots of players bought for nowt in real terms who will play huge parts...

If Gally and BB chip in with five goals each whilst Dolan (free), Dack (£750k) and AA (£3m) score 50 goals between them and our back 5 (Kaminski, Nyambe, Lenihan, Ayala, Douglas) combined fees £200k keep enough clean sheets then we’ll prob go up.

I get your frustrations re those two. I feel it too but I still think there’s a top player in BB and a 10 goals a season man in SG. 

I think Dack, AA, Dolan will struggle to get 50 tbh. Though maybe that number is a bit high it excludes others contributing.

My guess is around.

AA 20

Dack 8

Dolan 6

Gallagher 5

Brereton 1

Rothwell 4

Johnson 7

Lenihan 3

Williams 3

Ayala 3

Douglas 4

Travis 2

Holtby 2

Buckley 2

70ish goals there. We scored 66 last term. If Armstrong gets injured we are buggered.

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

I think Dack, AA, Dolan will struggle to get 50 tbh. Though maybe that number is a bit high it excludes others contributing.

My guess is around.

AA 20

Dack 8

Dolan 6

Gallagher 5

Brereton 1

Rothwell 4

Johnson 7

Lenihan 3

Williams 3

Ayala 3

Douglas 4

Travis 2

Holtby 2

Buckley 2

70ish goals there. We scored 66 last term. If Armstrong gets injured we are buggered.

Yeah that’s much more likely...I was just making a point re the irrelevance of the fees vs prominence...

Your post actually strengthens that point as basically none of the contributors cost much money and a few are worth a fortune. 

The biggest and most interesting thing about this rovers squad now is that we have defensive quality, strength across the middle of the park both in protecting the back 4 and support to the front players, pace, nouse, width, creativity with pace to burn up front. Moreover there  is competition for places creating incentives for players to perform something we haven’t had. There are a lot of teams that don’t have what we now have Rovers and Mowbray have to reap the opportunities in front of them. The squad set up reminds me of how Norwich wiped the floor a couple of seasons ago. It’s nothing but positive if you ask me

• Like 1

12 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

He is one of the signings that I would say I am most happy with. Ayala is the main one for me, the one I am most confident on but I am happy with Douglas.

The injuries are of course a concern and I would have preferred Cunningham, who also has injury conerns. Also, my worry is that we are in a similar position to in net a year ago, in 12 months we havent got a left back, Douglas will be a free agent but also 32. But I am happy with his signing, I think he is a big upgrade, he also can give us good set pieces which is a bonus. I dont think pace is critical and he will be an attacking threat.

How do you know that in twelve months we will not have a left back ?

9 minutes ago, Swanson said:

Hatiam Alesaami has signed for FC Rostov now.

Can't see him getting that much game time to be honest...

Hopefully will have a player coach role. I think it would be good to have an eye on the future, although DJ may have that job in the bag.