BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

2 minutes ago, frosty said:

'They could have saved us'? You make it sound like we were up against it big time and despite Venky's best efforts, we fell to an inevitable relegation. Madness. Only one thing caused our decline and that's them.

Our 'road to hell' in the five seasons before they rocked up: 6th (+ League Cup semi), 10th (+ FA Cup semi and Europa League knockout stages), 7th, 15th, 10th (+ League Cup semi). We were in zero danger and, as you mention by referencing Hughes, fans were looking up rather than down.

Both re-writing history if you ask me.  The Walker family had long since lost interest in the club and had been looking for a buyer for ages...  They were a relatively small fish in an increasingly big pond, financially speaking.  Combine that with none of JWs kids having the least bit interest in football, and there’s only one way it’s heading.

Allardyce’ last transfer window consisted of Benjani on a free and Mame Diouf on loan. Zero spent.  They’d well and truly pulled the purse strings shut. Amazingly enough, a considerable proportion of the fan base still believe it was the right decision to sack him.... even now!!  It is the ones who don’t know anything about football and/or are too stubborn to admit they were totally and utterly wrong, but they’re usually the most vocal at any club it would seem. 

Anyway, it was unsustainable under the Walkers.... their interest was gone.  Venky’s stupidity, naivety, Pig-headedness and misplaced trust in a scam artist accelerated the process and let it totally spin out of control, but let’s not pretend the future was particularly rosy for BRFC. 

Throwing away PL status was unforgivable and extremely expensive.  Thinking with a long-head, we should be (for want of a million better words) thankful that as of yet, they haven’t just up and left a carcass..... should we forgive what happened? Not whilst our club remains perilously close to oblivion BECAUSE of the Owners. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Just read that...I’m one of those who wanted Downing back. He was our best player until Covid imo - but where on earth does he fit into a 25 man squad with the depth we now possess?

Have to agree, a body too many. A bit of a head scratcher like getting Pears after Stirgiakis. I don't see the need for him at this point. JRC will be back soon to fit that 'shove him in wherever we have a gap' role that Tony likes to have (fairly, albeit sometimes he overdoes it with where he shoves them). I can only worry this is going to get in the way of somebody's development, and that we should have been sending another out on loan if this was the intention.

Downing is also less suited to our current style than the last one, as he does slow the game a little, and was looking like he was starting to flag at the end of the season. It better be a very cheap deal. I'd much rather preserve the funds for the raft of contracts we need to sign existing players up to.

21 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

It’s all comes down to an irrational dislike of Allardyce, all kinds of mental gymnastics to justify them cheering his sacking from the rafters that day, instead of seeing it as a warning sign in giant capital letters.

Dear me...  I can still remember some of the comments on here when we’d beaten a really poor Liverpool team in one of Kean’s first Matches at Ewood.  Revidge sidled in and admitted to being somewhat ‘smug’ that evening... fucking great is hindsight, isn’t it ?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Jimmy612 said:

Both re-writing history if you ask me.  The Walker family had long since lost interest in the club and had been looking for a buyer for ages...  They were a relatively small fish in an increasingly big pond, financially speaking.  Combine that with none of JWs kids having the least bit interest in football, and there’s only one way it’s heading.

Allardyce’ last transfer window consisted of Benjani on a free and Mame Diouf on loan. Zero spent.  They’d well and truly pulled the purse strings shut. Amazingly enough, a considerable proportion of the fan base still believe it was the right decision to sack him.... even now!!  It is the ones who don’t know anything about football and/or are too stubborn to admit they were totally and utterly wrong, but they’re usually the most vocal at any club it would seem. 

Anyway, it was unsustainable under the Walkers.... their interest was gone.  Venky’s stupidity, naivety, Pig-headedness and misplaced trust in a scam artist accelerated the process and let it totally spin out of control, but let’s not pretend the future was particularly rosy for BRFC. 

Throwing away PL status was unforgivable and extremely expensive.  Thinking with a long-head, we should be (for want of a million better words) thankful that as of yet, they haven’t just up and left a carcass..... should we forgive what happened? Not whilst our club remains perilously close to oblivion BECAUSE of the Owners. 

What you say is basically correct. Allerdyce getting sacked needn't have been the death nail in the coffin though. His football was mainly sterile, only played in games he felt he could get a result in and by his own admission he was walking at the end of the season regardless. The death nail was not replacing him with a proven replacement.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jimmy612 said:

Dear me...  I can still remember some of the comments on here when we’d beaten a really poor Liverpool team in one of Kean’s first Matches at Ewood.  Revidge sidled in and admitted to being somewhat ‘smug’ that evening... fucking great is hindsight, isn’t it ?

Big Woy's last game at the Scousers.

4 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Depending on the cost, it could be more of a dressing room signing now...role model for the younger kids, odd appearance here and there if needed.  Holtby looks a much better midfield option than Downing. 

From what I've read of Douglas, he fulfils that role already. Genuinely sounds like a terrific bloke.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

He wanted to come back here and he'd got the nod from Mogga that money would be there to sign him once the window was shut? And how do you know he didn't have other offers?

Obviously nobody made him a better offer than we did. Just looks like Mowbray looking after another pal to me. At the same time as the club have been pleading poverty to the fans and can't afford to keep the stadium clean. Maybe he'll be going around with the litter picker and a green sack ?

4 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

As an aside, after all the speculation, Josh King went nowhere!

Jeez, I've rarely seen so much smoke without fire. Big blow for the coffers that, we will likely lose him for nothing now. Most I can see us getting is our share of maybe 5 or 6 million in January if we are lucky. If it's percent of profit that would be more like our share of 3.5 to 4.5 million. At one point we thought we were going to receive that much just for ourselves. Think a foreign club will pre-contract him in Jan though and we will have nowt.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

On the squad in general, an injury or two in key areas and we're struggling. It's been hyped massively on social media and on here how great our squad is. but an injury to Nyambe today and we don't have a right full back, an injury to an injury-prone Douglas and we're back to Bell. An injury to injury-prone Ayala and we're massively relying on injury-prone Lenihan never to get injured.

The depth of the defence is still quite weak IMO. 

All true but that probably applies as much,if not moreso, to our rivals. Teams need luck as well as ability, hard work & good tactical nous. We certainly missed out on the first of those last season due to long term injuries, hopefully we get dealt a better hand this season but if not we're as prepared as we could be to cope.

The best form of defence is attack, as the saying goes...

2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Interesting that Manning went for just 250k. You would assume we would have known about this having been linked with him previously - we would have been alerted by an agent I am sure. Means we either made a decision to not buy him or he made a decision he didn't want to come to us. My thinking is TM wanted a bit more experience in the squad and the character that Douglas apparently has. Winning mentality too with 2 promotions under his belt. I guess the plan is to get him on a contract after the loan if he does well.

Manning offered the better long term option and excellent resale value at 250k but I wonder if TM was put off for any reason.

I'm pretty sure Manning wanted large wages, he's been angling for a PL move all summer.

Just now, bluebruce said:

Jeez, I've rarely seen so much smoke without fire. Big blow for the coffers that, we will likely lose him for nothing now. Most I can see us getting is our share of maybe 5 or 6 million in January if we are lucky. If it's percent of profit that would be more like our share of 3.5 to 4.5 million. At one point we thought we were going to receive that much just for ourselves. Think a foreign club will pre-contract him in Jan though and we will have nowt.

Personally think he was always going to run his contract down like he did here. He then gets the transfer fee as a signing on fee. We were never going to see a pay day from him

14 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Personally think he was always going to run his contract down like he did here. He then gets the transfer fee as a signing on fee. We were never going to see a pay day from him

Could potentially lose 3-4 mill on deal that would of been helpful in costs for the club, Wether you like them or Not the owners will still put the money in regardless so don’t see it as a big issue 

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Agreed, Gally will never be effective out wide and I'm yet to see what BB offers. 

I honestly think they both look like relics of his old style and don't fit in with his new Liverpool-style approach. Dolan and Elliot are both quick and nippy like Mane and Salah. Gally and BB both look laboured in comparison. 

He'll play both BB and SG today!

You've just made me realise, Liverpool will be watching a lot now we have their prodigy on loan. I hope they don't like the look of Elliott and Dolan on the flanks too much...

15 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

You've just made me realise, Liverpool will be watching a lot now we have their prodigy on loan. I hope they don't like the look of Elliott and Dolan on the flanks too much...

I hope they do, because that means they have been a success for us.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

They wont see it though will they? Lets hope they like SG and Ellott on the flanks. Remember its the future

50 minutes ago, Jlee1984 said:

Could potentially lose 3-4 mill on deal that would of been helpful in costs for the club, Wether you like them or Not the owners will still put the money in regardless so don’t see it as a big issue 

I know but he ran his contract out before so  there was a chance he'd do it again. Im sure no one would have budgeted for money coming in

• Like 1