BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

7 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Every time he scores another Nobber heart shatters into a thousand pieces. It's beautiful man. 

I love their argument that we only got him because he couldn’t get in their first team. They’re more stupid than I thought if they can’t see his potential.

• Like 6

"Hate" towards Bennett? Absolute bollocks. I have never seen one person question Bennett as a leader, a role model, a human being, or a representative of the club. I dont think anyone could or does show anything like "hate" towards him.

It is not hate to hold the opinion that in any position, he weakens our side and has nothing to offer an ambitious Championship side on the field. That isnt hate or disrespectful, thats a fairly widely held opinion from the looks of things.

We always seem to veer back towards this glass half full v glass half empty, positive v negative shite too.

6 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

He’s definitely the teachers pet but the more you get to know him the more understandable if is. He’s just such a decent guy. The perfect man to lead our club...and he’s had a good career too. Played at the top level. Now he’s not playing and still a brilliant influence on the group.

Not many of these types around. He’ll be missed when he’s gone.

I dont think you need to get to know him to realise that Bennett as a personality seems to be fairly unquestionable. No one has ever doubted that.

The perfect man to lead our club is an interesting conundrum really. As a person, unquestionable, but I would also argue that as a leader/captain, you also have to be able to contribute on the pitch. Sadly for Bennett, as was the case for another good professional and leader in Mulgrew before, the time came when his ability on the pitch let him down. 

As it is, we do have experience and leadership amidst the team, Lenihan seems a leader, Ayala, Douglas, Johnson, soon to be Downing, of course all of these can offer competence on the pitch.

I believe he suffered a serious injury when at Norwich, I remembered him as being much faster for them compared to when he signed for us. Maybe the Bennett we got had matured as a person to the man we see today, but a lot of what made him the player he was had been lost.

4 hours ago, rigger said:

How do you know that in twelve months we will not have a left back ?

I mean that as it stands, our 2 contracted left backs, one loan and one permanent both are out of contract

I am not suggesting that we will go into next season with no left backs. I am happy with the signing of Douglas, less so with the renewal of Bell, but I was just comparing the situation to in goal last season, when we had Walton on loan and Leutwiler with a year to go, both departed at the end of the season and the position needed a factory reset, which it has had.

Maybe if Manning was available at such a knockdown fee, he would have perhaps been a more long term focused addition at left back. That being said, Douglas should be a shrewd short term addition.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, LDRover said:

Looks like old Tony is going for a shit or bust season.

Good, it makes for an exciting 6 or 7 months.

Heard it was a given that if we failed to make the playoffs this year, one or (likely) both of Mowbray and Waggo would be sacked/walk.

So it makes sense he is going balls deep this season... and I love it. Blackburn Rovers have been playing scared for too long.

Armstrong, Elliott, Dolan, Dack, Rothwell, Holtby, Brereton, Buckley, Douglas, Chapman, JRC and Nyambe is a team littered with flair that is built to attack, attack, attack. A world away from the Smallwood, Evans, Bennett, Downing and Samuel, "respect the opposition" tripe of years past.

Bring it on.

Edited by Angry_Pirate
  • Like 2

I said parity was goalkeeper, left back and striker back in August.

Thats why. Doesn't matter how much quality is brought in elsewhere, if we are relying on either one of them two expensive puddings playing up front then we aren't going anywhere. 

2 hours ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Heard it was a given that if we failed to make the playoffs this year, one or (likely) both of Mowbray and Waggo would be sacked/walk.

So it makes sense he is going balls deep this season... and I love it. Blackburn Rovers have been playing scared for too long.

Armstrong, Elliott, Dolan, Dack, Rothwell, Holtby, Brereton, Buckley, Douglas, Chapman, JRC and Nyambe is a team littered with flair that is built to attack, attack, attack. A world away from the Smallwood, Evans, Bennett, Downing and Samuel, "respect the opposition" tripe of years past.

Bring it on.

Sooner or later they'll realize that whilst he can continue to probably make modest year on year improvements he'll never make that significant jump. The backing he's had now is the best any manager under them has had including that scumbag back stabber so they really need rewarding with a serious push.

Not in his dna that though he's a plodder who'll limp us up a place or two but that's it. He's a platform builder not a serious conductor and he'll leave something decent to be built upon.

• Like 6

21 hours ago, tomphil said:

Sooner or later they'll realize that whilst he can continue to probably make modest year on year improvements he'll never make that significant jump. The backing he's had now is the best any manager under them has had including that scumbag back stabber so they really need rewarding with a serious push.

Not in his dna that though he's a plodder who'll limp us up a place or two but that's it. He's a platform builder not a serious conductor and he'll leave something decent to be built upon.

you are right tony is a plodder,who has put together a side that has bags of pace and potential but holds them back with his stilted tactical approach to the game,slow build up,square passes and not enough variation in our play,tell them their jobs,stop playing them out of position and just let them play,we might lose a few but i guarantee we`ll score goals,

• Like 1

7 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

you are right tony is a plodder,who has put together a side that has bags of pace and potential but holds them back with his stilted tactical approach to the game,slow build up,square passes and not enough variation in our play,tell them their jobs,stop playing them out of position and just let them play,we might lose a few but i guarantee we`ll score goals,

This is the fear----that TM has , to his credit, assembled a squad that looks capable of challenging for promotion but may not be able to manage it so that it performs at its best.

Like Bowyer in fact.

The best managers are somehow capable of creating teams that are better than the sum of their individual parts. Brian Clough is probably the best example. Sir Alex is another.

When they left, or any of their players were transferred, those players never seemed to perform at their previous level. And, the obverse, particularly with Clough, players they signed seemed quite ordinary till he got to work with them.

I agree TM is a plodder who doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes. Its incredible to me that he can continue to play Gally or Brereton wide. In truth he shouldn't be playing them at all and we should have a big, brooding presence in that penalty area who can fend off defenders and get the ball down to his smaller forwards, or actually score with a header, or who can shoot on sight with power. £12M should have got us someone at least remotely like that. When we play it always looks like something is missing up front.

• Like 4

Two games ago Rovers were irresistibly fluid.

I hope Saturday was a function of Holtby and Rothwell missing combined with Cardiff showing how to nullify Johnson and Dolan, block off Brereton and isolate Armstrong being replicated by Forest.

Now there are three new outfield player signings who are "competing for places" which based on Saturday's showing should be a competition they win.

My fervent hope is Elliott is able to play for us the way he has shown he can for Liverpool and disrupt the two solid lines of opposition shirts Cardiff and Forest have so effectively used against us.

One player reliably doing that is going to create the space for Holtby, Rothwell and eventually Dack to cause mayhem.

However, we have two and a third seasons of Mowbray in the Championship which sadly suggest you are right 47er.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 47er said:

This is the fear----that TM has , to his credit, assembled a squad that looks capable of challenging for promotion but may not be able to manage it so that it performs at its best.

Like Bowyer in fact.

The best managers are somehow capable of creating teams that are better than the sum of their individual parts. Brian Clough is probably the best example. Sir Alex is another.

When they left, or any of their players were transferred, those players never seemed to perform at their previous level. And, the obverse, particularly with Clough, players they signed seemed quite ordinary till he got to work with them.

I agree TM is a plodder who doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes. Its incredible to me that he can continue to play Gally or Brereton wide. In truth he shouldn't be playing them at all and we should have a big, brooding presence in that penalty area who can fend off defenders and get the ball down to his smaller forwards, or actually score with a header, or who can shoot on sight with power. £12M should have got us someone at least remotely like that. When we play it always looks like something is missing up front.

Exactly. We only have one centre forward who is capable of scoring regularly, and he's not going to be winning the ball in the air. That is something that was not addressed during the transfer window.

• Like 2

Its a shame we haven't got wingers who can get to the byline and cross to a tall centre forward attacking the ball in the box. We are nearly there with this manager except we have a tall forward who should attack the ball in the air but appears to be afraid of his own shadow and plays wide and on Saturday we had a wide man who used to take on full backs and cross but we play him down the middle. We have the basics there for a plan B but slightly wrong now lets see if our manager can work it out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Its a shame we haven't got wingers who can get to the byline and cross to a tall centre forward attacking the ball in the box. We are nearly there with this manager except we have a tall forward who should attack the ball in the air but appears to be afraid of his own shadow and plays wide and on Saturday we had a wide man who used to take on full backs and cross but we play him down the middle. We have the basics there for a plan B but slightly wrong now lets see if our manager can work it out.

I think Gallagher was a monumental waste of money, but if Mowbray wants to persist with him it certainly has to be in the middle. 

Armstrong's best position is also central. He never really looked comfortable out wide.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, martonrover said:

I think Gallagher was a monumental waste of money, but if Mowbray wants to persist with him it certainly has to be in the middle. 

Armstrong's best position is also central. He never really looked comfortable out wide.

I was actually thinking of Chapman as the wide man who played centrally when he came on on Saturday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, martonrover said:

Exactly. We only have one centre forward who is capable of scoring regularly, and he's not going to be winning the ball in the air. That is something that was not addressed during the transfer window.

That was my worry, goal threats are pretty thin on the ground from the rest of the team.  I wouldn't call Armstrong a centre forward either. He's more a goal scorer playing up front. A proper centre forward is the fulcrum of the attack and you can bounce attacking play off him, like Danny Graham was. At the moment neither of Big Ben or Gallagher are centre forwards either, Gallagher is probably nearer to the role but he's still miles away. 

• Like 2