BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 hour ago, HowieFive0 said:

Really looking forward to seeing Elliott's raw talent. Happy to see him harness it for a season here and gain some first team experience. He's certainly talented enough to impact our season.

Edited by Traviscon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RoverDom said:

I've liked the look of Elliot when I've seen him play for liverpool and was genuinely excited when we signed him. Just what we need in attack so I can only assume Tony's brought him in as cover for del. 

Personally never seen him play - whats is he like as a player - quick,  tricky, goal scorer, good decision making etc ? 

Edited by DavidMailsTightPerm

33 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Downing needs to be signed by end of today if we’re to do it, does he not? 

No, as long as there is a space in the squad registration which there is, then he can sign.

I dont see any benefit to constantly waiting though. Tomorrow night is our 6th game and even then, he wont be close to match fitness. He would have been a huge upgrade on Buckley and Evans on Saturday had he signed earlier, and indeed it seemed he was a low priority for Mowbray but he did sign Trybull yet still wants Downing aswell, so it is not as if it was one or the other.

Its quite interesting to look back on the front page of this thread to see how the window has panned out compared to what we expected.

On 04/07/2020 at 22:07, Stuart said:

It’s looking like we are going to need a heck of a facelift in the close season - although Mowbray will no doubt still try to get tunes out of Gallagher and Brereton, presumably still playing both out wide.

Personally I reckon there are five players in our senior squad that we should keep and the rest need replacing, either because loans end or simply because they aren’t good enough.

There is a possibility that a different manager could breathe new life into a few others: Downing, Rothwell, Holtby, maybe even the two above but I just can’t see how anything is going to change without a change in the dugout.

552828B9-25E0-457B-B99C-671950292319.thumb.jpeg.af3b85961a325f7263cc7530b401b6c8.jpeg

Stuart I think quite fairly suggested that only 5 of the team in Lenihan, Travis, Nyambe, Dack and Armstrong were good enough for the current starting 11. Obviously Armstrong plays up front and the system is different, but I think that potentially, Kaminski, Douglas, Ayala, Trybull and Elliott hopefully can/need to fill most of those other areas. The likes of Holtby, Johnson, Rothwell, Gallagher, Brereton etc need to also start contributing with some consistency.

On 05/07/2020 at 08:47, Kamy100 said:

It is going to be a summer of balancing the books.

With our biggest asset (Dack) not being sellable because of his injury, it will probably mean one or two off Lenihan, Travis or Arma having to be sold to help balance the books.

After that we are looking at freebies, loans and signing up and coming players from lower leagues.

We don't have the money for a major facelift for the squad.

On 05/07/2020 at 09:00, Parsonblue said:

Totally agree with this.  There will have to be departures to balance the books and only Lenihan, Travis, Armstrong and possibly Nyambe are going to attract bids.  One can easily see Fisher or Hilton being used as the back-up 'keeper whilst the likes of Wharton - unless he is sold - Magloire, Carter, Thompson, Vale, Butterworth become part of the senior squad in terms of filling the bench on matchdays or graduating to the starting eleven.  

Also these 2 posts were examples of many predictions that our main assets would have to be sold off and that kids would be making up the numbers which never materialised.

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Its quite interesting to look back on the front page of this thread to see how the window has panned out compared to what we expected.

Stuart I think quite fairly suggested that only 5 of the team in Lenihan, Travis, Nyambe, Dack and Armstrong were good enough for the current starting 11. Obviously Armstrong plays up front and the system is different, but I think that potentially, Kaminski, Douglas, Ayala, Trybull and Elliott hopefully can/need to fill most of those other areas. The likes of Holtby, Johnson, Rothwell, Gallagher, Brereton etc need to also start contributing with some consistency.

Also these 2 posts were examples of many predictions that our main assets would have to be sold off and that kids would be making up the numbers which never materialised.

All that really proves is how much of a basket case we are as a club.

Balancing the books only counts for off field matters. Conversely it seems that on field matters simply depend on which side of the bed “Madame” gets on the day of the bi-annual Rovers budget meeting.

Can’t clean the stadium properly and would rather argue about who owns the land that makes our ground look like a scene from WALL-E rather than pay a few quid to clean it up. Yet we can add players and wages to our ever increasing pile of debt.

7 minutes ago, Stuart said:

All that really proves is how much of a basket case we are as a club.

Balancing the books only counts for off field matters. Conversely it seems that on field matters simply depend on which side of the bed “Madame” gets on the day of the bi-annual Rovers budget meeting.

Can’t clean the stadium properly and would rather argue about who owns the land that makes our ground look like a scene from WALL-E rather than pay a few quid to clean it up. Yet we can add players and wages to our ever increasing pile of debt.

One thing that I would say amidst quite a lot of praise that I have seen for the owners by people clearly far more easily satisfied than me. (Maybe thats just me with ambitions above merely existing) But we havent really spent much at all this summer. A 450k reported fee for Kamimski and a nominal fee for Pears aside, no fees were spent. A free Greek youth keeper, 3 loans, a senior free agent and one intended for the under 23s. Im sure there may be modest signing on fees and potentially loan fees (although maybe not, maybe just wage contributions) and we have also seen Walton, Leutwiler, Fisher, Adarabioyo, Hart, Smallwood, Graham and at this stage Downing leave, so it seems more of a juggle of resources rather than an investment.

I also dont think that many of our key assets would have attracted much if any attention at this stage.

But I certainly agree regarding the generally illogical way in which the owners run the club.

I just wondered something.

When Harvey Elliott plays his first game for us, he will have played for two Premiership-winning clubs at the tender age of 17.

Will he be the youngest player to have done that? If so, could you extend that to English top-flight and not just Premiership?

I'm guessing not on the latter, as just from my memory, Rekeem Harper came to us at 17 and WBA have been English champions before. Dunno who was younger in days though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

No, as long as there is a space in the squad registration which there is, then he can sign.

I dont see any benefit to constantly waiting though. Tomorrow night is our 6th game and even then, he wont be close to match fitness. He would have been a huge upgrade on Buckley and Evans on Saturday had he signed earlier, and indeed it seemed he was a low priority for Mowbray but he did sign Trybull yet still wants Downing aswell, so it is not as if it was one or the other.

Not sure he is an upgrade. Looked to me like his legs were gone towards the end of the season. Would rather Buckley get further opportunities.

• Like 2

Just now, Vilesinner said:

Not sure he is an upgrade. Looked to me like his legs were gone towards the end of the season. Would rather Buckley get further opportunities.

Buckley I dont think did himself any favours on Saturday, he was really poor. I only really remember the Charlton away game in which Buckley has stamped his authority on. This is a season which with many key players being either in their final or moreso penulatimate year of their contract, a strong focus must be on trying to get up this year.

For the here and now, unless Downing has really fallen off a cliff, he is far more effective than Buckley at this time. He created far more chances than anyone else last season.

5 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

i don`t think buckley is going to make it,looks out of his depth to me,never seems to have any time on the ball,drifts out of games badly and does`nt give any impression that he belongs at this level

8 hours ago, rigger said:

Because I have other things in my life besides this messageboard. I answered the question you posed when I first read it. I will know in future that there is a time limit to respond to questions.

Or alternatively you could actually read the thread before posting, at which point you'd have realised your post was unnecessary?

Edited by 47er

16 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

He has already got kudos from me for referring to us as 'Rovers' and not 'Blackburn'.

A good start!

Considering Kevin Gallagher still doesn’t even though he’s lived here for nearly 30 years and Andy Bayes tees every question to him with ‘Rovers...’, I like this young lad and his very hip haircut.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

And the reason why not is financial support from Venky's right up to the very edge of FFP