BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

Really? I'm generally a very forgiving judge of youth players but he played a number of horrendous balls out of the back and lacked the pace to recover.

To me it looks like Magliore is a much better better fit for our high line defence.

Agreed. Played three passes straight to the opposition. Not mobile enough and his passing doesn't make up for it. Magloire looked great against Leicester. Need to see Tyler play in competitive situations more often though

I know he has had a bit of an injury but it is a shame that Magloire couldnt get a loan spell lower down in League 1 or 2. He was clearly well off it physically when he played for our first team and he has only played a couple of games in an unsuccessful loan spell since. Regardless of a competent performance in a kickabout against Leicester, I would not feel comfortable if Magloire was needed in the Championship for us this season, we have to hope that at any one time, at least 2 of our 3 injury prone centre backs are available throughout the season. Wharton didnt convince me the other night either, it is not a position where you can afford a player who is not 100% ready. Playing with the kids will only take him so far. 

I have been listening to a few podcasts lately and a couple of former players have mentioned that they believe that the old reserve leagues should have been maintained and that now, all you have is young players continuously playing against the same kids that they have throughout the age group and it doesnt fully prepare you for mens football.

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I know he has had a bit of an injury but it is a shame that Magloire couldnt get a loan spell lower down in League 1 or 2. He was clearly well off it physically when he played for our first team and he has only played a couple of games in an unsuccessful loan spell since. Regardless of a competent performance in a kickabout against Leicester, I would not feel comfortable if Magloire was needed in the Championship for us this season, we have to hope that at any one time, at least 2 of our 3 injury prone centre backs are available throughout the season. Wharton didnt convince me the other night either, it is not a position where you can afford a player who is not 100% ready. Playing with the kids will only take him so far. 

I have been listening to a few podcasts lately and a couple of former players have mentioned that they believe that the old reserve leagues should have been maintained and that now, all you have is young players continuously playing against the same kids that they have throughout the age group and it doesnt fully prepare you for mens football.

I agree with the old players that the " Central League " reserve team league  was a better grounding than the current system. As was the " A " team set up. I remember watching Rovers " A " team playing against Rochdale Reserves, That was lads like our 18 yr olds playing against a team comprised mainly of experienced pros.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Don't disagree but to paraphrase Souness we need to use the willy we have...

We've got 3 proper CBs - after that it's a choice between Wharton, Carter, Magloire, Nyambe at CB. Of those Magloire seems the least risky as he has recovery pace (well Nyambe does as well obviously but we need him at RB unless we play JRC at RB and that makes things even more fragile).

8 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Don't disagree but to paraphrase Souness we need to use the willy we have...

We've got 3 proper CBs - after that it's a choice between Wharton, Carter, Magloire, Nyambe at CB. Of those Magloire seems the least risky as he has recovery pace (well Nyambe does as well obviously but we need him at RB unless we play JRC at RB and that makes things even more fragile).

In regards to having only 3 centre backs, obviously thats a given now, is it sustainable to have 4? Not sure, maybe a different conversation.

But I disagree that Magloire is the least risky just because he has pace, pace alone is pretty worthless. Bell has pace and hes useless! Magloire didnt seem to be able to head a ball when he played those 2 games in the League, he was absolutely bullied by the very slow and limited Nihiu. Rochdale took him and didnt want him pretty quickly.

Take your point on board about moving Nyambe which is very difficult as not only does he lack a lot of things to be a centre back but we have no other natural right backs.

Wharton looked shaky when he came on at a difficult point of the game but at least he has successful league experience under his belt. If he starts a game my confidence would dip admittedly and I just hope that 2 from the 3 CBs are fit at all times but Wharton is correct to be 4th choice IMO.

• Like 1

On 22/10/2020 at 15:12, ben_the_beast said:

Did he? I thought he had very little to do. Played a few simple passes. And that's about it. Nothing to show he is the answer in Ayalas absence but harsh to say he looked out his depth.

He played a couple bad passes which lead to Watford counter attacking us

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I agree it would have good for Maglorie and few more young players to go out on like liker Carter, Hilton, etc. 

on the podcasts point, you mean the Eric Kinder podcast? or is there other podcasts that you have listen to? if so can you name them so I can listen to them please?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He played a couple bad passes which lead to Watford counter attacking us

I agree it would have good for Maglorie and few more young players to go out on like liker Carter, Hilton, etc. 

on the podcasts point, you mean the Eric Kinder podcast? or is there other podcasts that you have listen to? if so can you name them so I can listen to them please?

Agreed on the loans for sure.

No I havent listened to any podcasts with Eric Kinder. I have started listening to podcasts called Open Goal with Si Ferry, the Danny Graham one was uploaded on here the other day but the player who mentioned it was Barry Ferguson who has gone into coaching in Scotland. He was actually quite complimentary towards Rovers but he said that he didnt like that if we lost or drew we didnt boo, which he found strange after being at Rangers. The best podcasts are Undr the Cosh with Jon Parkin and Chris Brown though, and football ramble are good general daily podcasts too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

No I havent listened to any podcasts with Eric Kinder

The Eric Kinder one with Rovers chat is a great insight into academy football. 

I listened to the open goal one with Danny Graham, but thats was enough for one. 

I like to the not the top 20 podcasts plus the Brfcs/Rovers chat ones. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

The Eric Kinder one with Rovers chat is a great insight into academy football. 

I listened to the open goal one with Danny Graham, but thats was enough for one. 

I like to the not the top 20 podcasts plus the Brfcs/Rovers chat ones. 

I listen occasionally to not the top 20 and also the second tier podcast. Undr the Cosh are definitely one id recommend, they are very funny and at times focus more on the dressing room side of it and things like nights out etc as well as obviously the career of the players. David Thompson, David Dunn and Michael Gray amidst the guests over time.

The football ramble is a really good listen . If you like a laugh and 90s football then there is one called quickly Kevin will they score and if there is also a good one abit like under the cosh but for non league conference level football but the stories are good called I had trials once 

always looking for new interesting podcasts on football so if anyone has any recommendations pm me

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 1

Does anyone have any major worries about the contractual situation? Look at the side yesterday, 3 loanees, Holtby, Johnson, Rankin Costello and Williams all out of contract at the end of the season. Armstrong and Lenihan all out of contract at the end of next season. And of course Nyambe at the end of this season and the end of next season.

I would give Holtby a new deal, Johnson and probably Williams I would hold off for now perhaps. Rankin Costello makes sense to sign up, should be cheapish and easy to do. Nyambe I would certainly try but am unconvinced that he would sadly. Armstrong and Dack by all means try and pull out all the stops but I cant see why they would commit too early. Lenihan there may be more chance of.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Does anyone have any major worries about the contractual situation? Look at the side yesterday, 3 loanees, Holtby, Johnson, Rankin Costello and Williams all out of contract at the end of the season. Armstrong and Lenihan all out of contract at the end of next season. And of course Nyambe at the end of this season and the end of next season.

I would give Holtby a new deal, Johnson and probably Williams I would hold off for now perhaps. Rankin Costello makes sense to sign up, should be cheapish and easy to do. Nyambe I would certainly try but am unconvinced that he would sadly. Armstrong and Dack by all means try and pull out all the stops but I cant see why they would commit too early. Lenihan there may be more chance of.

We are in contract talks with Holtby, Rothwell, Dack, Rankin-Costello, Williams, Nyambe I've read. 

I would given Armstrong a new deal.which I think.will be done quickly. Lenihan is Captain now so should be easy to do. Expect Holtby and Rothwell, Rankin-Costello to sign new contracts. 

Doubt Nyambe will. Not.a huge fan of his at times but am at others times

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We are in contract talks with Holtby, Rothwell, Dack, Rankin-Costello, Williams, Nyambe I've read. 

I would given Armstrong a new deal.which I think.will be done quickly. Lenihan is Captain now so should be easy to do. Expect Holtby and Rothwell, Rankin-Costello to sign new contracts. 

Doubt Nyambe will. Not.a huge fan of his at times but am at others times

It all seems to be a bit non urgent and and low priority at the moment, I have certainly not seen anything close to suggesting that we are in contract talks with all of those! Where did you read that?

I hope you are right on Armstrong and am not getting deep into why i think it wont be "easy" to do.

Rothwell was one I missed, again possibly not one I would necessarily prioritise because hes yet to really establish himself but might be wise to add a year or 2 onto his deal.

Williams seemed happy to try and find a new club in the summer for family reasons so maybe that will be impossible.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

It all seems to be a bit non urgent and and low priority at the moment, I have certainly not seen anything close to suggesting that we are in contract talks with all of those! Where did you read that?

I hope you are right on Armstrong and am not getting deep into why i think it wont be "easy" to do.

Rothwell was one I missed, again possibly not one I would necessarily prioritise because hes yet to really establish himself but might be wise to add a year or 2 onto his deal.

Williams seemed happy to try and find a new club in the summer for family reasons so maybe that will be impossible.

Jaquob Crooke Twitter account 

Rovers and Mowbray hasnt gone publicly with contract talks but why should we tho?.

Williams might move on next season. Depends on what offers are available 

23 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Jaquob Crooke Twitter account 

Rovers and Mowbray hasnt gone publicly with contract talks but why should we tho?.

Williams might move on next season. Depends on what offers are available 

Ah so not the most definitive source then. He makes it up as he goes along.

With contracts, it is a case of either being signed or not, little in between as we saw with Hoilett signing in 24 hours! Hopefully we have a few extensions to be signed soon.

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Ah so not the most definitive source then. He makes it up as he goes along.

With contracts, it is a case of either being signed or not, little in between as we saw with Hoilett signing in 24 hours! Hopefully we have a few extensions to be signed soon.

Hoilett and that particular manager was very different to our current manager. Mowbray is nothing like him and very different to him. 

Crooke and Sharpe have both asked Mowbray the same questions and get the same comments. Talks on going with players. 

1 minute ago, philipl said:

The one player Mowbray has gone public about is Ryan Nyambe and he expects a new contract won't be a problem.

I can't say I sure his optimism whilst he keeps dropping him from the side. Nyambe would be a fool to sign another contract right now. So I guess I'm hoping he's a fool.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

At least the contracts are on the agenda but having "began" the process doesnt really instill any confidence, ultimately they have either signed or they havent. Dack has been "in talks" for well over a year. Hopefully we get some good news on contracts soon. 

They were always on agenda but transfer window was the priority as always. 

Install any confidence? 

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

They were always on agenda but transfer window was the priority as always. 

Install any confidence? 

Yeah, until they are on the official site as having signed new deals, then the concern will still remain. 

Dack has been in talks for basically the last 2 years now.

• Like 1