BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Yeah, until they are on the official site as having signed new deals, then the concern will still remain. 

Dack has been in talks for basically the last 2 years now.

I expect most re sign new contract. 

Dack got 20 months left. Dack wants a PL chance and that's why he hasnt sign new deal yet

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I expect most re sign new contract. 

Dack got 20 months left. Dack wants a PL chance and that's why he hasnt sign new deal yet

Dack will need to prove his fitness over a period of time before he sits down to discuss a new deal or consider moving on.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

Personally I cannot see any reason for signing Downing barring having a very versatile player. We have JRC for this though and I'd far rather he get minutes 

Agree as much as I like Downing as a professional and his performances last season. We can barely agree on who out of our current midfielders is to be dropped and we still have Dack and Travis to come back. He was solid as LB cover but we have two LBs now though admittedly id rather Downing there than Bell. i just cannot see how he would get many minutes at all barring an injury crisis.

If we really HAD to get another player in on a free to fill up our full playing quota - it would have to be a steady/solid CB as cover. Williams and Ayala have already missed games and we know Lenihan gets a few injuries a season too - only takes two of them to be out at the same time to really stretch us. Relying on Wharton or Magloire/Carter too much could cost us in what is our best chance of competing at the top end of the table in years.

Any solid CBs out there on a free? Perhaps someone from Europe?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Agree as much as I like Downing as a professional and his performances last season. We can barely agree on who out of our current midfielders is to be dropped and we still have Dack and Travis to come back. He was solid as LB cover but we have two LBs now though admittedly id rather Downing there than Bell. i just cannot see how he would get many minutes at all barring an injury crisis.

If we really HAD to get another player in on a free to fill up our full playing quota - it would have to be a steady/solid CB as cover. Williams and Ayala have already missed games and we know Lenihan gets a few injuries a season too - only takes two of them to be out at the same time to really stretch us. Relying on Wharton or Magloire/Carter too much could cost us in what is our best chance of competing at the top end of the table in years.

Any solid CBs out there on a free? Perhaps someone from Europe?

Think I agree with a lot of this. A centre back, who possibly can play full back as well would be my shout for strengthening. 

That said IF that could be done and we could get cover for midfield, or the deal was good for Rovers (e.g. a mostly pay as you play) Downing would be a no-brainer given an excellent season last year. Definitely just cover now, but can't think of much better cover out there for a cheap price. And I assume at this stage he would/should be cheap.   

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

We should be looking for a free agent centre back with a bit of championship experience even if it's a short term deal.

Forget luxuries like Downing now, another keeper for no 2 should come before him  if nothing else.

Eh? I'd at least like to see the Greek play before I jumped to that conclusion. I'd give him the chance against Swansea, there won't be much time Kaminski is injured this season probably so there won't be many chances. Might be a bit harsh to drop Pears after one viewing, even though he looked off the standard, but still.

Won't happen though.

Edited by bluebruce

13 hours ago, Ben Frost said:

Seriously?! How many No2 keepers do you want? What have Pears and Stergiakis done so wrong in their first couple of weeks? 

You obviously missed where Mowbray said he didn't expect Pears to be involved much this season. Sounded like he wasn't being thought of as a number 2 yet.  You also omitted we've been linked with a few other older keepers recently as well.

Nobody is saying anybody has done anything wrong but if you can't fathom that those 2 might struggle badly, given their lack of experience and were probably not signed to be near first team action much this season then that's your problem.

Edited by tomphil

7 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Eh? I'd at least like to see the Greek play before I jumped to that conclusion. I'd give him the chance against Swansea, there won't be much time Kaminski is injured this season probably so there won't be many chances. Might be a bit harsh to drop Pears after one viewing, even though he looked off the standard, but still.

Won't happen though.

Eh ?  

If you want promotion then it's not the time to be experimenting with rookie keepers.  Didn't the Raya and Walton experiences add to that opinion ?

The new keeper comes in being older and more experienced albeit in a different league but he looks steadier so far than the pair of them. They were highly rated rookies at that but the two new ones are what you'd probably best describe as cheap back up.

We want quality fighting it out all over the park so why not in the goals is it so outrageous to expect a solid back up keeper ?  I don't really care a jot about players feelings either.