BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

3 minutes ago, unleaded said:

Would have kept him especially with the current climate of players pulling out due to Covid & Mowbray crying every day about the lack of players he has at his disposal...... 

Me too, that's an absolutely pointless loan. What is he going to learn there other than the wind off the North Sea is bloody cold !  We all know all three of our first choice centre backs are partial to a spell on the treatment table.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

2 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

You'd have thought that they could have got Magloire a better loan move than Hartlepool.

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2020/november/magloire-makes-pools-move/

IMO, pointless and degrading.

WTF, a National League side.

Lauded for his performance against Leicester and Vardy and then this!

Can't think it will do the lad's confidence much good.

• Like 1

A run of games won't do him any harm a bit of rough and tough stuff will be just the ticket. These kids come through academies playing against similar yet teams used to sign youngsters from the likes of Hartlepool.  It's just reverse order these days you have to send them out to toughen them up and give them a bit of a culture shock.

Character building if nothing else, the more they send out like this the better they can always take a step up with their next loan if needed. They need to experience life on the other side if we want to breed leaders and battlers again who appreciate the plush surroundings of billionaire funded Rovers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mercer said:

IMO, pointless and degrading.

WTF, a National League side.

Lauded for his performance against Leicester and Vardy and then this!

Can't think it will do the lad's confidence much good.

As someone else said, injured when EFL clubs could loan players. It's only a 2 month loan I believe it was, so a couple of months playing regularly against men is something he hasn't had yet and will be a brief but possibly helpful education, which doesnt suck up too much of his time.

I don't mind this move, my first instinct was annoyance too though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, benhben said:

Were we linked with Ben Whiteman from Doncaster this summer. Looks a decent player tonight against FC Utd. 

Yeah, best player on the pitch for me. I'd like to see him against a better class of opposition though. He strolled through that game. He can see a pass early both short and long, rarely gets caught in possession and he's got a good engine for a big guy. Although not a ball winner he knew enough to take that guy out late on in the game. I thought that was a yellow card, if the game had have been a normal game it would have been.  Having said all that I can see why teams haven't come in for him so far. He's all right foot and not blessed with great pace. The sort of player that can run the game when his team is on top but I don't think he's the sort of player that can get you on top.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah, best player on the pitch for me. I'd like to see him against a better class of opposition though. He strolled through that game. He can see a pass early both short and long, rarely gets caught in possession and he's got a good engine for a big guy. Although not a ball winner he knew enough to take that guy out late on in the game. I thought that was a yellow card, if the game had have been a normal game it would have been.  Having said all that I can see why teams haven't come in for him so far. He's all right foot and not blessed with great pace. The sort of player that can run the game when his team is on top but I don't think he's the sort of player that can get you on top.

We'll probably sign him in January with some of the money we get from Armstrong going to someone struggling for goals in the Premiership.

3 hours ago, Darrenbot said:

We'll probably sign him in January with some of the money we get from Armstrong going to someone struggling for goals in the Premiership.

I do like the look of him, he's what I was expecting Buckley to play like. The lad can play alright. I can't see Donny holding on to him. Do we need another midfield player now we've signed Downing though ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I do like the look of him, he's what I was expecting Buckley to play like. The lad can play alright. I can see Donny holding on to him. Do we need another midfield player now we've signed Downing though ?

I bloody well hope not. We've got nine players for 3 roles - Travis, Holtby, Rothwell, Johnson, Evans, Trybull, Davenport, Downing, Buckley. On top of that we've got Dack, JRC and Bennett who could play there but will probably play elsewhere in the team.

Any cash we have in January should be squarely aimed at the defence which really needs more pace and power I think. Teams with good physical and pacy forwards take us to the cleaners.

Edited by joey_big_nose

12 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I bloody well hope not. We've got nine players for 3 roles - Travis, Holtby, Rothwell, Johnson, Evans, Trybull, Davenport, Downing, Buckley. On top of that we've got Dack, JRC and Bennett who could play there but will probably play elsewhere in the team.

Any cash we have in January should be squarely aimed at the defence which really needs more pace and power I think. Teams with good physical and pacy forwards take us to the cleaners.

I'd be surprised if we sign any more defenders now we've got Ayala and Douglas to be honest.

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I do like the look of him, he's what I was expecting Buckley to play like. The lad can play alright. I can't see Donny holding on to him. Do we need another midfield player now we've signed Downing though ?

Looked a class above tonight but he should do against such poor opposition.

He looks to have good fundamental ability, finds space and plays with his head up. He'll be playing in the Championship this time next year, I'm pretty sure of that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LDRover said:

Looked a class above tonight but he should do against such poor opposition.

He looks to have good fundamental ability, finds space and plays with his head up. He'll be playing in the Championship this time next year, I'm pretty sure of that.

Yes, I would agree with that. Somebody at a higher level will give him a go. If we didn't have Buckley coming through who should aspire to being a similar player I'd be hoping we'd sign him. Good playmakers at bargain prices are not easy to come by. He needs to be working on that left side passing though, one footed players always give you more of a chance as a defender.

• Like 1

Great to have players like Buckley on the back up coming through and being able to ease them into games like that. Personally i'd never expect an academy player cutting his teeth to be a game changer what you see from him is what he is, a raw novice finding his feet.

When a manager pays a big fee for a player and puts him on a big contract then quite rightly the expectations are there. They are there to be shot at sadly for them and the manager but everyone knows the script it goes with the turf, always has. However it getting put about on social media that lads like Buckley are being talked about behind the scenes as 10 million pound players also raises unreasonable expectation levels.

A bit silly and can do more harm than good imo as we see reading some comments. For the record that isn't a dig at anyone in particular. Just seeing these 10 mill and highly rated comments but so many in the past have been talked about similar only to turn out to be far far away from it.  Acts as more of a red flag than anything.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

On 06/11/2020 at 16:21, Ewood Ace said:

You'd have thought that they could have got Magloire a better loan move than Hartlepool.

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2020/november/magloire-makes-pools-move/

I think it’s only for 2 months. According to Jeff Sterling yesterday their main defenders are missing so Rovers agreed to help them out and give Magloire some game time in a competitive league.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, tonygreenbank said:

I think it’s only for 2 months. According to Jeff Sterling yesterday their main defenders are missing so Rovers agreed to help them out and give Magloire some game time in a competitive league.

I think the physicality of the league will help him mature. From what I've seen of him he can't head it properly so it should be a nice trial by combat for him down at that level.

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

I think the physicality of the league will help him mature. From what I've seen of him he can't head it properly so it should be a nice trial by combat for him down at that level.

I think young centre halves being poor headers of the ball is a sign of the times. Back in the day it was one of the two things you had to be able to do to play there. Given the recent concerns regarding dementia etc I can see heading being outlawed at some point in the future.

33 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think young centre halves being poor headers of the ball is a sign of the times. Back in the day it was one of the two things you had to be able to do to play there. Given the recent concerns regarding dementia etc I can see heading being outlawed at some point in the future.

Says a lot that Magloire coped better with Jamie Vardy than he did against Joe Garner and Steven Fletcher/ Nuhiu.

Problem is Its hard to say how much of an impact heading these newer balls has atm. The dementia cases seems liked to players in the 60's and 70's. The game is a lot different now so Its hard to say how much it would achieve.

3 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Says a lot that Magloire coped better with Jamie Vardy than he did against Joe Garner and Steven Fletcher/ Nuhiu.

Problem is Its hard to say how much of an impact heading these newer balls has atm. The dementia cases seems liked to players in the 60's and 70's. The game is a lot different now so Its hard to say how much it would achieve.

To be fair, the main difference facing Vardy is that it was in a friendly. Had he faced Vardy in a competitive game I suspect it would have been a different story.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rogerb said:

Stuart Metcalfe forged a good career with the same limitations.

I was just thinking of Metcalfe last night when I was watching the Donny game. How many times did you see opponents have him going round in circles trying to keep the ball on his right foot ? He usually still came away with the ball but he wasn't always going in the right direction with it !

Metcalfe liked to run with ball, Whiteman prefers to make the ball do the work.

• Like 1