BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Who is signing a fat and shit Bradley Dack???????

There's always some gullible clubs that will waste good money on dodgy strikers.  

During a period of rhe 18/19 season I felt his performances slipped and he was lazy.  To be fair he came  back last season with a good start.

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

There's always some gullible clubs that will waste good money on dodgy strikers.  

During a period of rhe 18/19 season I felt his performances slipped and he was lazy.  To be fair he came  back last season with a good start.

You're not easily pleased Sparks.

18 goals and 10 assists in 18/19.

Admittedly had a run of 6 games without a goal or assist in Feb/March - but followed that up with 4 goals and 2 assists in the 9 games after that.

18 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

You're not easily pleased Sparks.

18 goals and 10 assists in 18/19.

Admittedly had a run of 6 games without a goal or assist in Feb/March - but followed that up with 4 goals and 2 assists in the 9 games after that.

It was when we needed to push on with the top 6 in sight.  I felt he knocked off for a few weeks and we slipped down the league.  Everyone on here was calling him....I'm not alone.

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

A mid table finish though will probably see half of that team leave, plus Nyambe, JRC & Rothwell are all out of contract in the summer.

There's no way that team will carry on together for the next 3/4 years.

Reckon holding onto Armstrong will be very tough, but I think everyone else will stick around. 

4 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

I think everyone is right. Buckley does look forward and play a lot of 'progressive passes' and generally speaking looks to get the team moving forwards. He's very good like that. He's also got the physicality of a field mouse. He doesn't need to be stacked but he does need to put some muscle on. Peoples bodies develop at different speeds. He's got the physique of a child. This should change at some point and he'll become more imposing. 

When he hits the age of about 23 I think he will be quality. It's what Fergie used to say about Jessie Lingard. (Yes I know he turned crap again) Every player develops at their own speed. Buckley has learnt to cope to an extent in mens football through technique. When the rest comes he'll be very good. 

I think this is spot on. You mention Lingard, but as a player his style (although obviously not his level of ability) reminds me so much of Paul Scholes, who everyone forgets only developed into the player he became well into his 20s.

Gary Neville was on the Quickly Kevin podcast for 90s football, and he basically was saying that a young Paul Scholes couldn't even get in the youth team for plenty of games because he was about 3 stone wet through and had asthma. Compared to the likes of Nicky Butt who at 18 could play a bit but was an absolute monster. Even when Scholes was in his early 20s he was only being drip fed into the first team, often as a number 10, and we're talking about one of the most gifted English players in the last 30 years, maybe ever!

Obviously John Buckley won't be Paul Scholes and Blackburn Rovers in 2020 isn't the same as Man United in 1996, but he is absolutely a player worth being patient with. 

• Like 1

Very rare to see a 21 year old stamp authority in central midfield.

If he has a game where he does that, at his physicality level and experience, he will have had an exceptionally good game.

At the moment it is good to see the games he doesn't get overawed and disappointing to see the games he does (Forest). What is promising is that he has far less games where he struggles. He always has moments in the game when you can see the talent. If we remember when Brereton came we saw none of that! I have confidence in our coaching of young players that Buckley will become a very good player for us and with all confidence in my mind a Premier League player one day (with us!!).

Edited by Dreams of 1995
  • Like 1

This is just groundhog day. Mowbray said exactly the same thing back in the summer and again in September.

If these contracts aren't sorted by January I think we can kiss goodbye to most of those out of contract. These things rarely get sorted beyond that point and other clubs will be speaking to them.

I think they are having us on. Are discussions and offers being made? Because from what Mowbray is saying it sounds like we are still at first base of getting the owners to agree to issuing new deals and not close to sealing the contracts.

And before they come with the pandemic excuse I'll remind everyone of a few things.

1) Mowbray said during the transfer window that he would adjust his transfer kitty to keep room in the budget for new contracts, so presumably we have budgeted for it.

2) many other Championship clubs have been completing new deals - Middlesbrough done a couple this week

3) The costs of losing these players for nothing will far exceed the costs of adding to the wage bill now.

• Like 7

Yep groundhog day is certainly an apt phrase. Indeed it has a "Hoilett will sign in 24 hours" vibe and the fact that deep into November that he is still pleading with the owners to do the contracts shows how disorganised they are.

I have never seen from Armstrong or Dacks persespective as to why it is in their best interests to commit at this time rather than hold off, and Nyambe at particular we should be at a stage where we are very close or have already signed or even been rejected. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Yep groundhog day is certainly an apt phrase. Indeed it has a "Hoilett will sign in 24 hours" vibe and the fact that deep into November that he is still pleading with the owners to do the contracts shows how disorganised they are.

I have never seen from Armstrong or Dacks persespective as to why it is in their best interests to commit at this time rather than hold off, and Nyambe at particular we should be at a stage where we are very close or have already signed or even been rejected. 

I don't understand why Mowbray has to speak to the owners about new contract extensions for current players who are real assets. Surely he and Waggott control the budget for the playing side and they should be able to sit down with the players representatives and start negotiations. I wonder if he spoke to them about the extensions that some of the dead wood were given over the summer?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

In the case of Armstrong a new bumper deal should have been in the offing early this year when he started with his goalscoring run and became the main man for us. At that point we held the cards and I'm sure he would have grasped a good pay rise and a contract extension. Realistically for him a move to the Prem was at that stage at least a year away and required a lot of hard work and progress before then.

Since then his form has continued, and we've made a very mediocre start to the new season. This means two things. Firstly it is already unlikely on the evidence to date that we are going to reach the Premier League next season, with all the same old issues appearing again - and secondly he has continued scoring at a very impressive rate. So by now he will be attracting interest from elsewhere and we are looking like going nowhere. He will be asking himself why to bother sticking around.

Dack is slightly different given his long term injury situation but personally i'd have expected his contract to have been extended prior to him sustaining that injury in December 2019. Even at that stage he only had 18 months remaining which for a player of his value and abilities isn't long.

The owners and their reps might think they are being clever saving a few bob and avoiding long term contracts and falling into the trap of yesteryear where we were saddled with big earners for years and had to pay them off. But this is going to end badly for us unless something changes quickly.

Under a 4 year deal Armstrong could be worth £20 million+ if he carries on. As I said yesterday - 23, English, full of pace, good fitness record and scoring every week - like gold dust and carries a massive premium. Mowbray talks about Brentford and emulating them - they make sure their assets are tied down long term then rake in the cash when they move up a level.

This is the point where I question how many lessons have really been learned here. Have the owners really worked out how transfers and players work because to me they don't seem to be taking this situation very seriously. Having supposedly embarked on a 'buy young and invest in growth' policy which supposedly Mowbray sold to them and they like the sound of we seem to be gambling somewhat.

Armstrong and Dack long term contracts mean potentially £30 million in transfer fees down the line whilst potentially £0 or very little if they don't get new deals.

I also note from Mowbray's comments that he's already preparing the owners and fans for another year of the slow build. He mentions in his interview that he's told them that we should be a force to be reckoned with next season. Ambitious. Talk about him being on easy street. By the start of next season he'll have had over 4 years in the job, be our longest serving manager since the 80s and have had 9 transfer windows at it.

I'd rather get shut of him and bring in a manager who will be able to put Armstrong's goals to better use than mid table.

• Like 6

He’s playing them and buying time ..  he’s ways are different from the previous and just fooling the owners ... 

This will never change until the Venkys leave or they put a independent system to overlook the Directors as well as the coaching side  .. They all interlinked and milking dry until the sun goes down .... Same old story different path.... 

• Like 1