Jump to content
Stuart

Summer Transfer Window

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Revolutionary, I know, but I'd sign a midfielder that can pass.

We've not had one for years.

The reason Tosin was the playmaker last year, and Mulgrew the years before, is because our CMs go hiding rather than coming short to get the ball and dictate play.

Yeah, I agree. Missing out on McGinn a couple of seasons ago was a massive blow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

maybe thats why he is looking Ben Whiteman to play the passing midfielder and a reason why Downing played so much in centre midfield last season. I don't think Holtby can play that role for me. Much better playing the number 10 role or inside right role. 

So if you wanting to play that counter attacking football style what would your formation and starting 11 be please Ewood Ace? Just want to hear your thoughts on it  and genuine interested in them

Holtby would've been a much better fit than Downing in centre midfield. Some of our worst football last season was played when Downing played there. It's a big reason why opinions on Downing and whether he should be given another contract changed drastically after Christmas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

maybe thats why he is looking Ben Whiteman to play the passing midfielder and a reason why Downing played so much in centre midfield last season. I don't think Holtby can play that role for me. Much better playing the number 10 role or inside right role. 

So if you wanting to play that counter attacking football style what would your formation and starting 11 be please Ewood Ace? Just want to hear your thoughts on it  and genuine interested in them

Downing is one of the worst culprits for slowing the play down.

The system I would play is 4-2-3-1. It's difficult to name a starting line up when I don't know what our squad will be but I would dearly hope that signing a keeper, centre back and a left back are absolute priorities. Personally I think we need 7 new players to have a squad capable of top 6 they are a keeper, centre back x2, right back, left back, central midfield, winger. If we were to do this then my starting 11 would look something like this. 

                                    New GK

Nyambe           Lenihan              New CB      New LB

                        Travis                 Johnson/New                 

Holtby                          Dack                          Rothwell/New

                                 Armstrong

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Just spoke with a Celtic fan there and he mentioned the Jones link. He said he was excellent for Kilmarnock and was doing well for Ranger, but that Gerrard took a dislike to him after an incident where he either got sent off or injured doing a bad tackle and never forgave him. He said Gerrard has a ruthless style that may not be in his own best interests long-term. 

Lost the heid in an old firm game, never seen again. Actually isn’t the worst but very much working off lists C and D if that’s the calibre we are looking at 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

That'd be a backwards step for him.

Arguably, but I think working under Gerrard is a draw there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Downing is one of the worst culprits for slowing the play down.

The system I would play is 4-2-3-1. It's difficult to name a starting line up when I don't know what our squad will be but I would dearly hope that signing a keeper, centre back and a left back are absolute priorities. Personally I think we need 7 new players to have a squad capable of top 6 they are a keeper, centre back x2, right back, left back, central midfield, winger. If we were to do this then my starting 11 would look something like this. 

                                    New GK

Nyambe           Lenihan              New CB      New LB

                        Travis                 Johnson/New                 

Holtby                          Dack                          Rothwell/New

                                 Armstrong

 

Team is too lightweight/ small for me 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Lost the heid in an old firm game, never seen again. Actually isn’t the worst but very much working off lists C and D if that’s the calibre we are looking at 

Ya, I haven't seen him myself 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Downing is one of the worst culprits for slowing the play down.

The system I would play is 4-2-3-1. It's difficult to name a starting line up when I don't know what our squad will be but I would dearly hope that signing a keeper, centre back and a left back are absolute priorities. Personally I think we need 7 new players to have a squad capable of top 6 they are a keeper, centre back x2, right back, left back, central midfield, winger. If we were to do this then my starting 11 would look something like this. 

                                    New GK

Nyambe           Lenihan              New CB      New LB

                        Travis                 Johnson/New                 

Holtby                          Dack                          Rothwell/New

                                 Armstrong

 

That's probably our best lineup at the moment but suffers from extreme narrowness. Also I'd have Evans over Johnson though when fit (a rare occurrence).

A "best we can do" side missing three players, which has three number 10s in it, and excludes two strikers who cost us a combined £12m tells you everything you need to know. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well if he moves to someone like Sunderland my theory will be bang on :) Would be a great move. 

Point is it still doesn't sit well with people sitting out his contract doing naff all and being allowed to do so at a club were every penny counts.

Yes he's perfectly within his rights to do so but to paying supporters stumping up their hard earned you can't be surprised it wrankles. Especially when the club needs every penny to put towards the team.  Probably doesn't seem like a big deal at the end of a keyboard but it is it's taking the piss really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Point is it still doesn't sit well with people sitting out his contract doing naff all and being allowed to do so at a club were every penny counts.

Yes he's perfectly within his rights to do so but to paying supporters stumping up their hard earned you can't be surprised it wrankles. Especially when the club needs every penny to put towards the team.  Probably doesn't seem like a big deal at the end of a keyboard but it is it's taking the piss really.

So you would prefer he went on loan whilst we paid him? Mmm' ok then. Get out there and earn your money boy!  I think any fan who is overly bothered by the Smallwood situation needs to get a grip and some perspective on whats important at the football club and in their lives to be honest 😂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

So you would prefer he went on loan whilst we paid him? Mmm' ok then. Get out there and earn your money boy!  I think any fan who is overly bothered by the Smallwood situation needs to get a grip and some perspective on whats important at the football club and in their lives to be honest 😂 

Stock answer from you when you've dug another hole one day you'll hold your hands up and say yeah ok 😎

Play the ball not the man and where in gods name did anyone say send him somewhere else and we pay him. The whole point is getting him off the payroll or at least some of his wages for a while which is what tends to happen.

Get inside out of the sun mucker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

maybe thats why he is looking Ben Whiteman to play the passing midfielder and a reason why Downing played so much in centre midfield last season. I don't think Holtby can play that role for me. Much better playing the number 10 role or inside right role. 

So if you wanting to play that counter attacking football style what would your formation and starting 11 be please Ewood Ace? Just want to hear your thoughts on it  and genuine interested in them

What would yours be going into next season, including any signings? (not the actual player but the position eg new GK) And what would your view be if we did sign a winger, are you totally against having wingers or just dont think Mowbray is interested in them.

I personally think that we are dying for width. None of our wide players this season have been effective. Goalkeeper, centre back and left back are all obvious areas but out wide isnt far behind.

Next season the only current players we have to play in the back 5 are Lenihan and Nyambe. So obviously need a competent keeper, LB and CB. Evans and Travis are fine in CM. Dack just off Armstrong as the main 2 up front. I sadly dont think its realistic to sign 2 wingers, so one of Holtby, Rothwell, Chapman or Rankin Costello on the other side. Probably Holtby with width on the other side.

Stick Dillon Phillips, Cunningham, Ayala and Jones into those 4 slots and we look much better but that obviously isnt realistic and theres minimal chance of holding onto our key players.

Whiteman is a rumour that surely cannot have any legs to it. Central midfield well down the list of priorities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@roversfan99 Since you've seen repeatedly that Mowbray isn't interested in playing with width and that any wingers we do sign (Chapman) inevitably just rot away, why do you still sorely want us to buy wingers?

I completely agree that we should play with width and that we need wingers to do so. But since we very clearly are not going to play that way, what's the point of buying a winger?

Anything that lowers the budget enough to lower the quality of CB or GK we get is a no go for me. At least those (surely) can't be played out of position by TM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Stock answer from you when you've dug another hole one day you'll hold your hands up and say yeah ok 😎

Play the ball not the man and where in gods name did anyone say send him somewhere else and we pay him. The whole point is getting him off the payroll or at least some of his wages for a while which is what tends to happen.

Get inside out of the sun mucker.

You're making no sense as you tend to do when you get annoyed. He was given a contract, why in gods name would he go somewhere on less? Would you? I suppose you would so going off your comments. Fair play to you. Anyway, it's an irrelevance really. Good servant, best of luck to the lad. I am sure the club will bounce back from paying him the last few months.

Go and have a lie down now and don't be tempted to go and give Richie abuse on Instagram  😂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sponsor

Contracted players go on loan all the time, bloody hell every team in the EFL is full of loanees. The player never misses out financially, it will normally be a wage split between the two clubs.

Smallwood stands out, as he didn’t go on loan for some game time, which he’s perfectly entitled to do, but the fact it was so noticeable shows it’s not the norm to sit out a year when fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You're making no sense as you tend to do when you get annoyed. He was given a contract, why in gods name would he go somewhere on less? Would you? I suppose you would so going off your comments. Fair play to you. Anyway, it's an irrelevance really. Good servant, best of luck to the lad. I am sure the club will bounce back from paying him the last few months.

Go and have a lie down now and don't be tempted to go and give Richie abuse on Instagram  😂 

Ha ha there you go again, now it's half pay ?   Not how it works and you know it they get paid the same it's between the parent club and loaning club to sort who makes up what percentage. 

I follow no players on anything i leave that to fanboys like thee.  I wish him well but he's blotted his copybook but he probably couldn't get away with it at most other clubs.  That's a different argument though.

Edited by tomphil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

@roversfan99 Since you've seen repeatedly that Mowbray isn't interested in playing with width and that any wingers we do sign (Chapman) inevitably just rot away, why do you still sorely want us to buy wingers?

I completely agree that we should play with width and that we need wingers to do so. But since we very clearly are not going to play that way, what's the point of buying a winger?

Anything that lowers the budget enough to lower the quality of CB or GK we get is a no go for me. At least those (surely) can't be played out of position by TM.

Obviously it has specifically been provoked by a link to a winger. But because my opinion is that we need one and that our wide players (well who have played there) havent contributed in a way that we need. 

We also apparently wanted wingers in January and I think Mowbray was quoted as such so the penny may drop. Indeed the Chapman incident will of course have more to it than him just being a winger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Ha ha there you go again, now it's half pay ?   Not how it works and you know it they get paid the same it's between the parent club and loaning club to sort who makes up what percentage. 

I follow no players on anything i leave that to fanboys like thee.  I wish him well but he's blotted his copybook but he probably couldn't get away with it at most other clubs.  That's a different argument though.

Only League 2 clubs interested on loan apparently. How much you honestly reckon they would contribute? 

Well, lets just hang tight and see where he ends up. That will tell how blotted his copybook is. 

Ya, well whether he should have gotten an extension in the first place is certainly a different discussion. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Swanson said:

20200731_160007.jpg

Look at the guys account,  not a chance he has any real info of his own 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Only League 2 clubs interested on loan apparently. How much you honestly reckon they would contribute? 

Well, lets just hang tight and see where he ends up. That will tell how blotted his copybook is. 

Ya, well whether he should have gotten an extension in the first place is certainly a different discussion. 

His copybook with some fans i mean as to confidently sit out so long it looks like he has something sorted elsewhere or an offer has been there a long time.  Or maybe even a loyalty bonus or something due from Rovers when his deal ends that might have been null and void had he sought some kind of move.  Who knows these contracts contain all sorts.

Just find it hard to fathom an all action lad so keen as him when he's on the pitch would just wipe out a year of playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, tomphil said:

His copybook with some fans i mean as to confidently sit out so long it looks like he has something sorted elsewhere or an offer has been there a long time.  Or maybe even a loyalty bonus or something due from Rovers when his deal ends that might have been null and void had he sought some kind of move.  Who knows these contracts contain all sorts.

Just find it hard to fathom an all action lad so keen as him when he's on the pitch would just wipe out a year of playing.

He got married so maybe his missus had a word 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

He got married so maybe his missus had a word 😂

Well if Dack is anything to go by 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Team is too lightweight/ small for me 

Too slow for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RoverKyle said:

 Downing in centre midfield. Some of our worst football last season was played when Downing played there. It's a big reason why opinions on Downing and whether he should be given another contract changed drastically after Christmas.

 

2 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Downing is one of the worst culprits for slowing the play down.

 

 

Counter-theory: Downing is excellent at keeping the ball which is an integral part of a team doing well in the style we're (supposedly) moving towards, but becomes ineffective when he's there to be our main creative threat in midfield. 

So a fully fit team with Dack and others who can play a bit means that Downing plays an important role in making us tick. When he's playing a three in midfield with two ball-winners and there's no Dack in front of him, he isn't threatening enough to be our go-to creator and whilst he'll still likely find a Rovers shirt, it won't be in a way that threatens the opposition. 

I didn't see any obvious signs of Downing struggling massively from a physical point of view post lockdown, so I'd lean more towards the changes in the team not suiting him rather than a sign that he's not up to it anymore. I'd be wary of offering him big wages, but I'd still try to fit him within our budget if possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.