Jump to content
Stuart

Summer Transfer Window

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Richard Oakley said:

Mowbray makes Gallagher play wide right, doesn't allow him to hone his goalscoring talent and berates him for popping up in the penalty area and scoring

I'd be genuinely interested to see that quote from Mowbray?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Atko's Engine said:

Dack - if he goes, point accepted, but then we can look to replace. But he is our most creative player, and we missed him for what, 25 games?

Rothwell - agreed he needs to find more consistency, but he has a style that frightens opponents. He's still worth sticking with imo, though I have wavered in that opinion over his time here.

Holtby - think that's a massive exaggeration; he's a player without natural pace but has natural flair. Similar to Tugay in the respect, albeit a few rungs lower down the ladder.

Buckley & BB - I think both of these showed more in the last 9 games than they did previously. They both have attributes to frighten defenders. Encouraging signs from both to build upon next season.

But I get the apprehension. I'm not saying it's the bee's knees, just less of a problem than is often made out.

I'm looking forward to seeing Buckley, JRC and Butterworth next season. I think all 3 can be very good Championship players if they are given a proper run in their correct positions and are guided right. All 3 are talented. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JacknOry said:

That is not completely true. We were second bottom in shots on goal (including blocked shots) in the league. To counter that, we were surprisingly equal 3rd for the conversion of our shots which basically means, we did not create all that much but were very good at taking our chances when we did. 

https://www.beinsports.com/au/efl-championship/statistics

 

Fair enough, that is quite surprising esp when you think of efforts like Samuel v Wigan & Barnsley, Davenport v Leeds, Holtby v Leeds, just 4 off the top of my head.

But it still doesn't alter the fact that we finished 6th highest scorers, without playing 2 of the previous season's top scorers most of the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I'm looking forward to seeing Buckley, JRC and Butterworth next season. I think all 3 can be very good Championship players if they are given a proper run in their correct positions and are guided right. All 3 are talented. 

Yeah, Butterworth really seemed promising, I hope his injury doesn't derail his progress.

JRC I like, have heard a lot more good stuff about his U23s performances. I'm not sure he's what you'd call creative though from what I've seen, in terms of unlocking tight defences. Dack, Holtby, Buckley & Rothwell all have that in their locker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I'm looking forward to seeing Buckley, JRC and Butterworth next season. I think all 3 can be very good Championship players if they are given a proper run in their correct positions and are guided right. All 3 are talented. 

no way is buckley ready for the hustle and bustle of the championship,he needs 3 months in the lower leagues to learn how to look after himself,as for the other two,i think they are ok though no doubt mowbray will either play them out of position or ignore them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Atko's Engine said:

Yeah, Butterworth really seemed promising, I hope his injury doesn't derail his progress.

JRC I like, have heard a lot more good stuff about his U23s performances. I'm not sure he's what you'd call creative though from what I've seen, in terms of unlocking tight defences. Dack, Holtby, Buckley & Rothwell all have that in their locker.

Check out the pass made at Sheff Wed to set up one of our goals. Perfectly weighted and the type only played by players who have good awareness, vision and intelligence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, simongarnerisgod said:

no way is buckley ready for the hustle and bustle of the championship,he needs 3 months in the lower leagues to learn how to look after himself,as for the other two,i think they are ok though no doubt mowbray will either play them out of position or ignore them

I think Butterworth and JRC are better than OK. Agree that Buckley looks lightweight but you can tell he's a talented footballer. I haven't seen Vale yet but Mowbray raves about him so he's another one. We won't be far off a 1st team of Academy Grads soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No way, I’d keep Buckley in the squad for next year. Quality technique on him, and if we are playing the false 9, 4-3-1-2 stuff then you need 6/7 Centre midfielders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

23 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I think you are confusing Jordan Jones, a winger linked from Rangers and formerly of Kilmarnock with Liverpool young player Curtis Jones.

I was. I meant Curtis Jones

7 hours ago, neophox said:

When does pre season start? 

2 weeks time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Chaddy, do you really want/hope/expect us to replace Nyambe with a better option? Where would this fall on your list of priorities?

Do you genuinely feel that Nyambe being replaced with better is either realistIc or important... or are you reading into the fact he is going into his last year of his contract and is the most frequent victim of scapegoating by Mowbray, and is therefore the most likely of our saleable assets to be cashed in on? Are you preparing your defence of this sale before it’s even happened?

I feel we need a more attacking full back in we are going to move an attacking passing style. Nyambe hasn't improved in the attacking sider over the last 12 months. I feel its important if the full backs are going to provide the width going forward. You have to take into account thats he only 12 months left on his contract so if he isn't going to sign a new contract then we have to look to sell and get the price we can. Can we really afford another Josh King or Ben Marshall or Junior Hoilett situation again? 

The main priorities for me is a keeper who can command his box, communication and very shot stopper, Centre back to play next to Lenihan(and possible 2 depending on Williams and Wharton future at the club), a left back. So 4 or 5 on the list as we need at least back up right back at least. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

2 weeks time

I thought someone on here said half the squad were on holiday in Spain let's hope they are coming back tomorrow otherwise they shall miss the start of pre season. Personally I don't know why they needed more time off they've only just got back from 3 months off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I feel we need a more attacking full back in we are going to move an attacking passing style. Nyambe hasn't improved in the attacking sider over the last 12 months. I feel its important if the full backs are going to provide the width going forward. You have to take into account thats he only 12 months left on his contract so if he isn't going to sign a new contract then we have to look to sell and get the price we can. Can we really afford another Josh King or Ben Marshall or Junior Hoilett situation again? 

The main priorities for me is a keeper who can command his box, communication and very shot stopper, Centre back to play next to Lenihan(and possible 2 depending on Williams and Wharton future at the club), a left back. So 4 or 5 on the list as we need at least back up right back at least. 

 

Doesnt Rankin Costello and also Rothwell have 12 months on their deals left? If so, should we sell as with Nyambe if they wont renew?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Swanson said:

https://www.tv2.no/sport/11563116/

This article is in norwegian and I have mentioned this guy before. After Brighton have signed Veltman and Ben White is back he is now further down the line. And he says that he won't go back to 2 Bundesliga, Brighton is working towards loaning him out to a Championship club or selling him. Since we are looking for a CB we should be all over this, very promising player.

Yes you have mention him on here before. I wouldn't be surprise if we did look at him. what are his strengths and weaknesses? 

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Since there are no new links today, thoughts on these suggestions?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lancs.live/sport/football/transfer-news/blackburn-rovers-five-strikers-transfers-18701028.amp

I'd put striker as 5th or 6th priority (gk times 2, cb, lb, maybe another cb) but no harm in thinking about it.

I'm not familiar with these players but most don't sound too inspiring. Bonne sounds alright and maybe available at the right price. They make Nicholson sound good, but at a guess from the article we might be talking 4 or 5 million which is far too much in current circumstances. And we all know what would be said if TM paid about that much for a striker...

I think they are realistic choices apart from the last suggestion as I don't know the player Nicholson. Well done Jaquob 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Wide men are more of a priority than strikers too.

Not if Mowbray isn't going to play wingers. It would be wasting signings. 

Plus if Armstrong is sold then we need 1st choice striker in. I really hope that doesn't happen btw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Yes you have mention him on here before. I wouldn't be surprise if we did look at him. what are his strengths and weaknesses? 

I think they are realistic choices apart from the last suggestion as I don't know the player Nicholson. Well done Jaquob 

Not if Mowbray isn't going to play wingers. It would be wasting signings. 

Plus if Armstrong is sold then we need 1st choice striker in. I really hope that doesn't happen btw

Firstly, its my opinion on what we need. I went into detail as to how I feel that Mowbrays use of wide players throughout his time here.

But even if they arent out and out wingers brought in, we dont have players who can be effective from wide roles.

We have Armstrong as a very effective striker and Gallagher should only be played there and not wide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ewood Ace said:

I thought someone on here said half the squad were on holiday in Spain let's hope they are coming back tomorrow otherwise they shall miss the start of pre season. Personally I don't know why they needed more time off they've only just got back from 3 months off.

Some players are or have been in Spain aswell as Greece

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Doesnt Rankin Costello and also Rothwell have 12 months on their deals left? If so, should we sell as with Nyambe if they wont renew?

I would be offering both new long term contract aswell as Nyambe. I suspect Rothwell and Rankin Costello will sign new contract. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sponsor
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Yes you have mention him on here before. I wouldn't be surprise if we did look at him. what are his strengths and weaknesses?

He is not the tallest CB, but he is very good in the air. He is also a leader and fairly quick. Weaknesses, he is quite young so he will make mistakes and also gets too many yellow cards (8 this season).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Some players are or have been in Spain aswell as Greece

I would be offering both new long term contract aswell as Nyambe. I suspect Rothwell and Rankin Costello will sign new contract. 

 

Why do you think that Nyambe wont?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Atko's Engine said:

Dack - if he goes, point accepted, but then we can look to replace. But he is our most creative player, and we missed him for what, 25 games?

Rothwell - agreed he needs to find more consistency, but he has a style that frightens opponents. He's still worth sticking with imo, though I have wavered in that opinion over his time here.

Holtby - think that's a massive exaggeration; he's a player without natural pace but has natural flair. Similar to Tugay in the respect, albeit a few rungs lower down the ladder.

Buckley & BB - I think both of these showed more in the last 9 games than they did previously. They both have attributes to frighten defenders. Encouraging signs from both to build upon next season.

But I get the apprehension. I'm not saying it's the bee's knees, just less of a problem than is often made out.

Holtby isn't fit to lace Tugay's boots. 

As for Rothwell - he frightens teams when he runs past players from central positions. I don't think he has the pace (or the crossing ability) to consistently hurt teams when played out wide. Hence why he's inconsistent. If we're keeping him, it needs to be as part of the midfield three with Travis (and I guess Dack in the more advanced position, although I think Rothwell could play there too). Otherwise he's just a talented player shoehorned out wide. 

I keep on hearing about Buckley's talent, but all I see is a frail man that Championship defenders bully. He's going to have to speed up his processes to overcome that, because I doubt he's got the frame to bulk up without losing pace. 

Edited by Exiled_Rover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Firstly, its my opinion on what we need. I went into detail as to how I feel that Mowbrays use of wide players throughout his time here.

But even if they arent out and out wingers brought in, we dont have players who can be effective from wide roles.

We have Armstrong as a very effective striker and Gallagher should only be played there and not wide.

If he persists with one upfront it's got to be Armstrong, with Gallagher and Brereton fighting for the role off the bench.

That said, if he's going to persist with one upfront he can't shoehorn Gallagher and Brereton to RW as neither can play it effectively. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

If he persists with one upfront it's got to be Armstrong, with Gallagher and Brereton fighting for the role off the bench.

That said, if he's going to persist with one upfront he can't shoehorn Gallagher and Brereton to RW as neither can play it effectively. 

Absolutely agree. Shoehorn is the key word.

Armstrong and Dack would be our main 2, Gallagher and Brereton pushing them. The only way that 3 of them could play at once would be with Armstrong wide I suspect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Swanson said:

He is not the tallest CB, but he is very good in the air. He is also a leader and fairly quick. Weaknesses, he is quite young so he will make mistakes and also gets too many yellow cards (8 this season).

8 cards in 30 games isn't it? 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Why do you think that Nyambe wont?

Cos he didn't sign a long term contract last time just a 1 year extension on top on 1 year left on his contract in April 2019 if I remember correctly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Cos he didn't sign a long term contract last time just a 1 year extension on top on 1 year left on his contract in April 2019 if I remember correctly 

Perhaps that is all the club offered him. Mowbray has never been a big fan of him and remember at the time he signed his contract he was considered as 2nd choice behind Bennett.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Atko's Engine said:

Fair enough, that is quite surprising esp when you think of efforts like Samuel v Wigan & Barnsley, Davenport v Leeds, Holtby v Leeds, just 4 off the top of my head.

But it still doesn't alter the fact that we finished 6th highest scorers, without playing 2 of the previous season's top scorers most of the time.

Surprised me too when i looked it up tbh. Although we are equal 3rd with about 4 or 5 teams. The point was mainly that we dont really create that much and when you consider AA seemingly couldnt miss at the end of the season, that is probably why our conversion stats look so good. Creativity is something e need to work on but of course, keeping them out of the other end is even more important, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Perhaps that is all the club offered him. Mowbray has never been a big fan of him and remember at the time he signed his contract he was considered as 2nd choice behind Bennett.

Perhaps Ewood. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t want that p@&£k Duffy back if Brighton paid us. He’s a scumbag of the highest order.,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.