BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

Joking aside, I'm sure our scouts know about these 16+ y.o. players who've been trained at elite Academies since they were 6. 

It's convincing Liverpool, Chelsea et al to loan them to you for a year. 

Our best Academy players are rejects from their Academies. The stranglehold they have on the game is insane.

Absolutely. Of course we know them. The main issue is can we afford them!?

City helped us out a lot with Tosin who the manager said is on double our top earner there. Curtis Jones will be on more than our top earners too.

There’s also a large section of these lads earning 25-50k a week, playing for u23’s with no pressure and the best facilities money can buy. They often don’t want to drop down, working in poorer conditions and risking failure. The struggle is real to just get these guys out of their comfort zone!

• Like 1

• Backroom

The only exposure I had to Phillips was the goal he conceded in the play off final when the ball rolled under his foot but it sounds like he’s a quality keeper, made a lot of team of the year type lists for the championship 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Now it feels like summer. ?

My slightly tongue in cheek response is, how would Rich Sharpe know?

We've other highlights to look forward to. The player move that breaks down after Mowbray has told him he won't go straight into the team and has to learn how we do things and/or has to talk to someone about how to play his position.

My personal favourite:the 'we put a couple of £1 million bids in late on deadline day, but couldn't get them over the line'.

Edited by Richard Oakley
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Richard Oakley said:

My slightly tongue in cheek response, is how would Rich Sharpe know?

We've other highlights to look forward to. The player move that breaks down after Mowbray has told him he won't go straight into the team and has to learn how we do things and/or has to talk to someone about how to play his position.

My personal favourite:the 'we put a couple of £1 million bids in late on deadline day, but couldn't get them over the line'.

This summer we can't wait until deadline day, at least one GK and one CB should be signed before pre season starts.

Edited by Swanson
  • Like 3

So one day Rich Sharpe hasn't spoken to Mowbray or Waggott, the next he knows who we haven't bid for, when realistically those two are the only ones who can confirm what we have done.

I suspect he is hedging his bets. He's probably right too, we will be some way off making any signings.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tom said:

The only exposure I had to Phillips was the goal he conceded in the play off final when the ball rolled under his foot but it sounds like he’s a quality keeper, made a lot of team of the year type lists for the championship 

Watching the Brentford Swansea games made me sob with frustration. We had a quality keeper and one with years to get even better.

Made some superb saves over the two legs, including a pen and has really improved his distribution.

Getting Brighton's 4th choice on loan, all for a measly £3m.

Pathetic, Rovers.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Absolutely. Of course we know them. The main issue is can we afford them!?

City helped us out a lot with Tosin who the manager said is on double our top earner there. Curtis Jones will be on more than our top earners too.

There’s also a large section of these lads earning 25-50k a week, playing for u23’s with no pressure and the best facilities money can buy. They often don’t want to drop down, working in poorer conditions and risking failure. The struggle is real to just get these guys out of their comfort zone!

You’re right, a lad was telling me from Preston his best mate is Andy Lonergan and the last close season he was training with a non league side, after being loaned out at Rochdale at the end of the previous season,and out the blue Liverpool came in for a 3rd goalie who was English,(needed for Europe) and believe it or not his wage was £30000 a week, very difficult for Rovers to compete these days.

• Moderation Lead
Just now, unsall said:

You’re right, a lad was telling me from Preston his best mate is Andy Lonergan and the last close season he was training with a non league side, after being loaned out at Rochdale at the end of the previous season,and out the blue Liverpool came in for a 3rd goalie who was English,(needed for Europe) and believe it or not his wage was £30000 a week, very difficult for Rovers to compete these days.

Would be easier to compete if we hadn’t waxed £12 Million on Gallagher and Brereton....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Would be easier to compete if we hadn’t waxed £12 Million on Gallagher and Brereton....

Not really. Because both of those players are within our Current wage structure. Whereas these bits of kids at PL clubs are not.

30 minutes ago, JHRover said:

So one day Rich Sharpe hasn't spoken to Mowbray or Waggott, the next he knows who we haven't bid for, when realistically those two are the only ones who can confirm what we have done.

I suspect he is hedging his bets. He's probably right too, we will be some way off making any signings.

He won’t need to speak with Mowbray or Waggot to find out who we have or have not bid for. There are staff who have been working the whole time and continue to work on ins and outs. Hence why we’ve been able to sell / release and loan players out in the last week.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, unsall said:

Is he a big old unit that works as a personal trainer? If so I've met the same fella and told me something similar about Lonergan almost going on trial to AFC Fylde or somebody similar before Liverpool stepped in.

Andy Lonergan would be an unusual case because it is rare that a player as a free agent would have the options at the bottom of the football league or for the European Champions, obviously as a tick box exercise to fill a quota.

Loans can obviously be expensive and require a level of compromise with the parent club which is why, whilst I think that 1 or 2 shrewd loan signings can really push a team over the line, I was not comfortable with Mowbray mentioning "5 or 6 loans" recently because I think its very difficult to do, especially successfully.

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Not really. Because both of those players are within our Current wage structure. Whereas these bits of kids at PL clubs are not.

Gallagher will be right at the top of our wage structure because he even said in his interview that he took a pay cut to join.

But the 12 million spent in fees would be the equivalent of 60k a week over a 4 year period before you consider their wages.

As you pointed out with Adarabioyo, if we ever get players on loans, they wouldnt be being paid wage structure breaking wages by us, much would be made up by the parent club.

@K-Hod is totally correct, blowing so much money on poor players does definitely then restrict us by removing such a large proportion of our budget.

I think that at times our supporters can make out that we are a little less financially competitive than we probably are too, ie there is a bit of an inferiority complex going on.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
6 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

But if we’d spent less on transfer fees, then we could maybe make an allowance on the wages?

• Like 4

What does one of the world’s biggest clubs throwing what is loose change to them at a quota signing before they go off to win English, European and world titles got to do with Rovers trying to compete in the second division?

There’s many issues with the hollowed out club these owners have overseen and many relevant comparisons to make with our peer group when it comes to competing on wages and the like, but that ain’t one of them...

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, blue_n_white99 said:

Is he a big old unit that works as a personal trainer? If so I've met the same fella and told me something similar about Lonergan almost going on trial to AFC Fylde or somebody similar before Liverpool stepped in.

No, he’s similar age to Lonergan. 36 ish think he went same school.

4 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

But if we’d spent less on transfer fees, then we could maybe make an allowance on the wages?

Not really. Because that’s the point of a wage structure. Once you make an exception, it’s open season and every player wants a rise. The cost of which would be much bigger than £12m.

I understand the infatuation with the expenditure on BB and SG. I’ve said a few times that I think their performances will make or break Mowbray. But unless the PL club is willing to pay a high % then the biggest issue is that our wage structure won’t support it. There are lots of clubs with much higher budgets and the ability to squeeze a kid on £45k a week into their  budget. We aren’t one of these. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

He won’t need to speak with Mowbray or Waggot to find out who we have or have not bid for. There are staff who have been working the whole time and continue to work on ins and outs. Hence why we’ve been able to sell / release and loan players out in the last week.

Have you heard anything?

22 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

We have a budget for transfer fees and wages and 30k a week isn’t part of it, just trying to explain how crazy the market is, and how difficult it is to compete. Many on here said we were crazy paying 3 mil for Armstrong and all of a sudden there’s allegedly premier league clubs lining up to buy him, love to know how much our top earner is on.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, unsall said:

I heard he was on money like that. It just shows how football clubs have (or at least had) money to burn at that level. Presumably if he was about to join Fylde, and Liverpool come calling with an offer of £5k a week, he'd have snapped their hands off. 

12 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Yes don't forget the flex, another thing only banded about when it suits which is odd seeing as Waggot and co made such a big deal about it not long ago.

Now we are to believe that any decent academy lads at some clubs are all on double what the likes of Downing and Gallagher earn here ?

No doubt true is some cases but there'll be plenty aren't and what happened to splitting the wages in some % or other, has that conveniently suddenly disappeared as well.

4 minutes ago, Swanson said:

I saw the name Kelleher from Liverpool mentioned on Twitter, could he be a possibility ?

Young, been with Liverpool nearly 5 years, No first team appearances. I don’t see him getting on the pitch for them anytime soon. Intriguing, if Rovers aren’t looking at him, they should. 

same with Brewster, he tore it up at Swans. 

Edited by WacoRover

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Surely the head of recruitment will know as well. I'm sure there a few at the club who know the players we're in for. Sharpe will have contacts, if he hasn't he's doing something very wrong.