BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

We now have confirmed dates for the summer transfer window

We still have to wait until our owners wake up before Mowbray is allowed to bring in another batch of players that wont address the positions that need addressing. Those dates are irrelevant.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We still have to wait until our owners wake up before Mowbray is allowed to bring in another batch of players that wont address the positions that need addressing. Those dates are irrelevant.

How are those dates are irrelevant? 

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Don't forget the huge corona hole in this seasons budget that'll have to be covered somehow. If they can't or won't stick in the extra millions from lost income then it's there in the way of external debt to somewhere probably so that'll need squaring off at some point.

And the potential corona hole for next season.

I kinda suspect that that one will dictate the FUP relaxation more in a way. They don't know how long the problems will run on for and this makes it difficult for clubs to set their budgets accordingly for staying out of FUP. Otherwise the sensible thing to do would just be to take the largest estimated loss by a club due to covid, add a little bit, and add that to what every club can lose before the penalties hit. And I'd expect it to have been done by now, so clubs know the rules and can go about their business. The fact the issues could be ongoing means it makes more sense to kick the whole thing down the road until the picture is clearer.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

It makes no sense to move away because our best player is a number 10, ie Dack. Graham or no Graham, you cant be playing your best player out of position. Hes tried and struggled in the false 9 role just as Holtby did. He is never a central midfielder in a million years, he is a goalscorer.

Holtby is also important and again is a number 10. As is Buckley.

I agree. But unfortunately neither you nor I get to make these decisions. My point was that I firmly believe Mowbray will stick to his 4-3-3 now, he's spoken of wanting to make that shift for a long time, even as early as 2018 when speaking about Aston Villa. I think he'll bring Dack deeper, or even play him up top on his own. It doesn't mean I'm personally advocating for it.

I agree, Dack is not a deep midfielder, nor an out and out striker, he's a hole player making late runs into the box. He should stay there. It's my suspicion however that Mowbray will maintain his new 4-3-3 tactic in 2020/21

9 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I agree. But unfortunately neither you nor I get to make these decisions. My point was that I firmly believe Mowbray will stick to his 4-3-3 now, he's spoken of wanting to make that shift for a long time, even as early as 2018 when speaking about Aston Villa. I think he'll bring Dack deeper, or even play him up top on his own. It doesn't mean I'm personally advocating for it.

I agree, Dack is not a deep midfielder, nor an out and out striker, he's a hole player making late runs into the box. He should stay there. It's my suspicion however that Mowbray will maintain his new 4-3-3 tactic in 2020/21

We will not make progress then.

14 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Chaps don't worry, Dack will play false 9 and have zero support

A quick google search tells me that he's 27, played less than 100 games, with no competitive games since since May 2018.

Sounds about right for the market we will probably be operating in this summer!

41 minutes ago, TruRover said:

We’ve been linked to West Brom’s second choice keeper Jonathon bond by sky. Can’t say I’ve ever heard of him

Was at Watford before his time at West Brom. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jonathan-bond/profil/spieler/130768

I did mention him as a possible option as keeper signing a couple of weeks ago I think around the time McLaughlin signed for Rangers

Screenshot_20200715-164420_Sky Sports.jpg

Edited by chaddyrovers

45 minutes ago, TruRover said:

We’ve been linked to West Brom’s second choice keeper Jonathon bond by sky. Can’t say I’ve ever heard of him

29 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

A quick google search tells me that he's 27, played less than 100 games, with no competitive games since since May 2018.

Sounds about right for the market we will probably be operating in this summer!

Whilst he will struggle to be worse than Walton, this is still a very low bar. Keeper is one of the most important positions on the pitch and yet we are going for people I would be dubious about having as a second keeper. It's so frustrating that we look at such substandard candidates.   

Also it seems totally at odds with our striker signings adding further credence to the theory we aren't allowed to spend money on anything but attacking players.   

• Like 1

I was wondering what prompted the Loons to jettison Bowyer in the end. Nice bloke but he really never had the CV for the job-just like most of their appointments.

I can't get my head around TM's constant theme of evolution/slow growth, when so many players are likely to need replacing in the summer

This certainly feels like a malaise-yes another one!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I was wondering what prompted the Loons to jettison Bowyer in the end. Nice bloke but he really never had the CV for the job-just like most of their appointments.

I can't get my head around TM's constant theme of evolution/slow growth, when so many players are likely to need replacing in the summer

This certainly feels like a malaise-yes another one!

Bowyer signed some good players - would love to know whether that was down to him or his dad Ian who was part of a hugely successful Forest side under Cloughie and he obviously knew the game inside out as his displays showed.  Sadly, IMO, Gary didn't inherit his dad's understanding of the game.

I think Mowbray's evolution/slow growth is about job preservation and buying himself time - the problem I have with Mowbray's  view is, IMO, we've a threadbare squad, full of holes and with limited quality, more reminiscent of making it up as you go along!  Contrast that to Warnock who, I believe, would have got us promoted back to the PL within two seasons - never heard Warnock talk about evolution/slow build!

• Like 1

Just now, Mercer said:

Bowyer signed some good players - would love to know whether that was down to him or his dad Ian who was part of a hugely successful Forest side under Cloughie and he obviously knew the game inside out as his displays showed.  Sadly, IMO, Gary didn't inherit his dad's understanding of the game.

I think Mowbray's evolution/slow growth is about job preservation and buying himself time - the problem I have with Mowbray's  view is, IMO, we've a threadbare squad, full of holes and with limited quality, more reminiscent of making it up as you go along!  Contrast that to Warnock who, I believe, would have got us promoted back to the PL within two seasons - never heard Warnock talk about evolution/slow build!

Agreed.

I think it was the final straw for me (another one!) when we gave back word on Warnock and came up with Coyle. What an awful, disrespectful and unforgiveable decision!

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

All professional goalkeepers will make good saves - remember the likes of John Butcher, Matt Dickins, Alan Fettis, Jason Steele and Walton (now ) all doing the same but boy, did they make some blunders!

See if you can find highlights of Bond's worse moments!

Just about 100 games in a professional career spanning 10 years says it all for me.

If this is Mowbray's 'evolution' then it's doubtful he's read Charles Darwin!!!! 

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

Just now, Mercer said:

All professional goalkeepers will make good saves - remember the likes of John Butcher, Matt Dickins, Alan Fettis, Jason Steele and Walton (now )all doing the same but boy, did they make some blunders!

See if you can find highlights of Bond's worse moments!

Just about 100 games in a professional career spanning 10 years says it all for me.

If this is Mowbray's 'evolution' then it's doubtful he's read Charles Darwin!!!! 

Its a link for us to discuss. 

Could Bond be coming here a number 2 under a more experience keeper being number 1. 

9 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Agreed.

I think it was the final straw for me (another one!) when we gave back word on Warnock and came up with Coyle. What an awful, disrespectful and unforgiveable decision!

Me too. That was the moment I gave up on ever expecting to see Rovers as a major force again in my lifetime.  I had a complete break from the club, football , this site etc. That was me done after the best part of 60 years.

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Its a link for us to discuss. 

Could Bond be coming here a number 2 under a more experience keeper being number 1. 

Why would he leave WBA as their number 2 to come here as a number 2?!

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

How are those dates are irrelevant? 

You are right chaddy they are not irrelevant.  I have no doubt that at least two of  Armstrong, Travis, Nyambe and Lenihan will be allowed to move on to raise funds to allow us to bring in some freebies and a loan or two.  Survival as a football club is going to be the main aim whilst we deal with the virus rather than funding a promotion bid.  Sadly, I suspect there are going to be some real tough times ahead for us as a football club.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

You are right chaddy they are not irrelevant.  I have no doubt that at least two of  Armstrong, Travis, Nyambe and Lenihan will be allowed to move on to raise funds to allow us to bring in some freebies and a loan or two.  Survival as a football club is going to be the main aim whilst we deal with the virus rather than funding a promotion bid.  Sadly, I suspect there are going to be some real tough times ahead for us as a football club.

Yet with a bit more nous we could be in the playoffs. A fraction of the £12 million better spent, a few less times players played out of position, a little less use of the false 9, a bit more cover in defence or for Dack, a couple less games when Bennett squeezed in at full back, a marginally better keeper than Walton - any number of minor baffling decisions, some of which like the players in the correct position were super easy to sort, could have given us that bit extra to be in the playoffs and a potential escape route out of this mess. 

• Like 4