BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Keeper isn't a spot you piss around with trying to get cheapies in and grow a players to sell. Yet that's been the mantra since Robinson was costing too much.

It needs solid investment then it can be left alone for a few years.  We still bare the hallmarks of being a vehicle for agents.

I fear we could end up getting really desperate for a keeper given the current climate.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 7

Pears would make further mockery of this European scouting network if Mowbray went and signed the son of someone he used to play with at Boro!

He is also not a goalkeeper for the here and now, he is a goalkeeper well away from his peak, it wouldnt be a move that says we want promotion.

Boro fans seem fairly split (to be kind), common acceptance that Warnock (a much more ruthless manager) will trade him in for the finished article in a short term move, some think he has talent, some mention that he is too small, weak at crosses, comparisons to Steele and Connor Ripley etc:

https://www.oneboro.co.uk/forum/topic/10500-the-summerautumn-transfer-thread-2020/page/186/#comments

Might be ok with an experienced keeper aswell like Marshall but I dont think theres any chance of that. If we sign him we will have a 22 year old goalkeeper which is not really suggesting any serious promotion aspirations.

https://twitter.com/MarkTaylor0/status/1288012506192125957/photo/1

His shot saving % is pretty decent, similar to Raya and better than Walton.

All being said, I would at least prefer him over someone like Iversen or Muric as he would at least be our player to develop. Iversen was playing in League 1 and seemingly not pulling up any trees, Muric had a shocker, at least Pears has a bit of Championship experience and would be our player, thats scraping the barrel for compliments.

But yeah, give me a Dillon Phillips, a David Marshall, or indeed someone outside of the usual names who can come in and perform straight away. Pears for sure above a kid on loan but not what we need.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

You are great at using evidence yourself that you would dismiss if someone else did. 

The difference is that here we have the Middlesbrough local reporter directly linking him with a move here. This is a fringe goalkeeper that they will get no money for. There will be no ulterior motive in reporting it and we all know this is exactly the sort of cheap and cheerful corner cutting that would suit Mowbray and Rovers to the ground.

Bit different to Richard Sharpe 'linking' our best player with a move to clubs that he can't even name where people could stand to make a lot of money out of it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The difference is that here we have the Middlesbrough local reporter directly linking him with a move here. This is a fringe goalkeeper that they will get no money for. There will be no ulterior motive in reporting it and we all know this is exactly the sort of cheap and cheerful corner cutting that would suit Mowbray and Rovers to the ground.

Bit different to Richard Sharpe 'linking' our best player with a move to clubs that he can't even name where people could stand to make a lot of money out of it.

Of course :) 

Lets wait and see 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Most of us could tell throughout the season he was no good, his command of the box on crosses is decent and rarely dropped a cross but overall he’s poor 

He didn't drop that cross at Preston. He kind of just flapped around a bit with nobody near him but got no contact on the ball. 

2 minutes ago, Ricky said:

Don’t we need two keepers if Leitweiller has been replaced? Just wondering if he will be bought in to fill that spot whilst we look for a ‘proper’ number one. Here’s hoping anyway.

We were told last summer we were going to get in an experienced keeper and a young understudy. We got a kid in on loan.

I would like to believe that we are still trying to do that original plan but i will not hold my breath. Dont think we will be getting two keepers and will probably end up with another kid in on loan.

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

We got shut of Raya to go signing reserves from Brighton and Middlesbrough? Good grief.

Why react to a link as though we  have signed him, even if true everyone knows we need 2 goalies, could be for back up, let’s wait and see who we sign before beating up everyone at the club.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Ricky said:

Don’t we need two keepers if Leitweiller has been replaced? Just wondering if he will be bought in to fill that spot whilst we look for a ‘proper’ number one. Here’s hoping anyway.

If the Boro kid is brought in as backup, then whatevs. We still need an experienced No. 1.

Just now, unsall said:

Why react to a link as though we  have signed him, even if true everyone knows we need 2 goalies, could be for back up, let’s wait and see who we sign before beating up everyone at the club.

If venkys had only turned up last summer, and that last summer was an unusual odd one out in our recruitment policy (making a mess of the GK situation plus no permanent defenders) I think everyone would agree with those comments.

We're nearly 10 years into there ownership now though, we know which way this is going.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, unsall said:

We have 3 backups at the club already. Hilton Fisher and Eastham. Why blow a wage on another with barely more experience than those. Unless we are planning on binning some of them off. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, unsall said:

Would you say the same if everyone was excited at the prospect of signing someone? Can't have it both ways.

Just now, WacoRover said:

It’s frustrating, waiting so long to get new players in. It’s what happened the last two years, and it surely doesn’t help the team. 

19 days since last season ended.

33 days before the new season begins.

I think the silence from Ewood about football matters is deafening.

It should be the duty of Rovers' employees to promote and develop the club, creating a culture, a brand and an identity.

Sadly, I see and hear nothing.  IMO, it's a shambles with the fans being treated like muppets. 

• Like 4

I wouldn't rate the Pears story as serious. Gibson's on record as saying negotiating with Venkys was his worst experience. Warnock could say something similar. The reporter thought Walton was impressive. For me, the Story's really about Warnock looking for an experienced keeper. We've already got three keepers Pears' age.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Those moaning would just say not to believe everything you read :) 

People have been fairly unanimous in being content should the links with Phillips and Marshall be anything other than paper talk.

As the board was when we signed Johnson for example. And Holtby.

So not sure that this "our fans are desperate to moan at anything" is totally accurate.

• Like 3