Stuart

Summer Transfer Window

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

If only we could sign Copenhagens goalkeeper!

Sorry, might be slightly off topic, but I have to comment. As an ex goalkeeper,  I can only describe his performance tonight as magnificent!

Edited by windymiller7

2 hours ago, OssyLad said:

Jesus Christ reading through the comments anyone would think season starts tomorrow. Judge him when transfer window shuts 🙈 don’t be so impatient ffs

Spot on OssyLad

46 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Way, way out of our league.

IMO, if Iversen, Muric and Pears are our goalkeeping options then God help us.  Doubt Warnock would touch these with a sh1tty stick. Marshall at Wigan still seems to be the best option to me followed by the French lad we are said to have watched.

Let's be honest, the value lies in Europe, however, the evidence seems our new scouting set-up in Europe has turned up nothing.  You act decisively and make your moves whilst the rest still think about it.

IMO, shambolic planning for recruitment.

Why are we obsess with Warnock? We see who Warnock gets. Maybe Paddy Kenny will come out of retirement now. 

What evidence Mercer? Same old attitude. Just wait and see. 

Yes you say act decisively but why you judge after the window shuts not now. 

27 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Seems premature to be saying this before we’ve even signed a single player though. 

Exactly Paul. People panicking over the lack of signings when most clubs are in the same boat. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Exactly Paul. People panicking over the lack of signings when most clubs are in the same boat. 

Any other clubs you know that have no goalkeeper and only 1 CB?

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, OssyLad said:

Forest with the bigger budget than us? Come on lad, even if we got to the playoffs and ended up going up we’d of embarrassed ourselves in Prem. nowhere near good enough to be going up yet. 2 or 3 seasons yet atleast before we’ll even be challenging.

Look at Leeds and Sheff U how long did it take them to get out of league 1? Sunderland are struggling now as it is!! 

Wake up 😂

Yes, Sunderland underline how just how important it was for us to come straight back up in automatic promotion. I'm aware that it took Leeds and Sheff Utd several seasons to get out of league 1. Sheff Utd got into the Premier league in two seasons.

There are a hundred million reasons to want to be in the premier league. Embarrassment hardly matters. The opportunity is there to strengthen the team.

Let's look at Mowbray's track record.His success stories. Dack and Armstrong. Smallwood for two seasons. Gallagher if not played out of position. He's brought Travis and JRC into the first team.Even if freebie Downing were to stay,it's not likely he'd be around in two to three years. There's no guarantee that Mowbray would be able to construct a promotion team that could stay in the premier league in 2-3 years.

I'm comparing finishes in the championship to illustrate progress, not who has more finance. One of the teams we played in that run of 15 games was  Wolves. Reports said we weren't even trying to win that match.Wolves now play in the premier league and tomorrow play in the Europa League quarter finals. An owner and a manager who both wanted to succeed. We have neither.

Edited by Richard Oakley

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

So appeared to be trying to defend the position. well I didnt. I would pay 1 million pounds but I wouldn't want to be paying anyone than that for him. Move on to next target

I haven't have we should wait 12 months have I? another false claim by you.

Bloody hell chaddy calm down, no-one is accusing you of anything.

In your reply to JHRover you seemed to be suggesting contrary to his opinion that the reason we might not go in for Phillips was that we might CHOOSE not to pay in excess of a million for a player rather than us being simply unable to afford that.

You seemed content with that stance (if that's what the Club is doing) and also seemed quite content with the concept of the Boro lad coming in so before you clarified exactly where you stood it was unclear whether you were advocating the Boro lad as a number one choice.

I think you need to stop getting so aereated about subjective matters of opinion. For what it's worth I can't see any merit whatsoever in bringing the lad in as either a number one or number two. If Warnock doesn't  want him he's unlikely to be what we need as a first choice and if it was as a number two we already have three lads of a similar sort of age and I'd far rather they got the chance. 

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Any other clubs you know that have no goalkeeper and one CB?

Huddersfield have no keepers. Rotherham have no 1st choice keeper. 

One CB? Lenihan, Williams and Wharton. Plus Carter and Maglorie who have 1st team league games under their belt. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

One CB? Lenihan, Williams and Wharton. Plus Carter and Maglorie who have 1st team league games under their belt. 

Thought it wouldn't be long before this started. 

Williams hasn't kicked a ball this year with injury unknown and isn't particularly good at the best of times. The other 3 have virtually no Championship experience and Mowbray has shown little serious desire to use any of them. Suspect he might be forced to though.

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Bloody hell chaddy calm down, no-one is accusing you of anything.

In your reply to JHRover you seemed to be suggesting contrary to his opinion that the reason we might not go in for Phillips was that we might CHOOSE not to pay in excess of a million for a player rather than us being simply unable to afford that.

You seemed content with that stance (if that's what the Club is doing) and also seemed quite content with the concept of the Boro lad coming in so before you clarified exactly where you stood it was unclear whether you were advocating the Boro lad as a number one choice.

I think you need to stop getting so aereated about subjective matters of opinion. For what it's worth I can't see any merit whatsoever in bringing the lad in as either a number one or number two. If Warnock doesn't  want him he's unlikely to be what we need as a first choice and if it was as a number two we already have three lads of a similar sort of age and I'd far rather they got the chance. 

Fisher ain't good enough. Hilton needs a full season as 1st choice at league 2. Eastham can be number 3 for the coming season. 

If we don't think Philips is worth more than a million why pay more. If we only have x amount of money to spend why overpay for a player which could affect going for the centre back or left back we want. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Huddersfield have no keepers. Rotherham have no 1st choice keeper. 

I’ve just had a nightmare that they were our defensive options for the first game! 🙈 

only Lenihan there who Is championship quality. I believe this is our biggest summer for years. If we get it wrong we may get it badly wrong! We need a solid spine, rarely comes cheap!

We cannot afford to play a full season with another sub standard goalkeeper! 

Edited by Hi Mack

45 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Seems premature to be saying this before we’ve even signed a single player though. 

Isn't that the very point he's making though?

Some Clubs have made additions, some haven't ,but it's irrelevant the level of business other clubs may or may not have done. We only need to worry about ourselves. We have glaring gaps in the starting eleven and to be fair, other than very tenuous speculation, there's no evidence of anything imminent happening in the form of serious interest or concrete offers going in etc.

11 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The other 3 have virtually no Championship experience

And the only way they will get it is by playing Championship games. 

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Fisher ain't good enough. Hilton needs a full season as 1st choice at league 2. Eastham can be number 3 for the coming season. 

If we don't think Philips is worth more than a million why pay more. If we only have x amount of money to spend why overpay for a player which could affect going for the centre back or left back we want. 

You really don't rate Fisher/Hilton/Eastham then if you think none are good enough to be a number two?

As regards Phillips we must rate him to a certain degree or we wouldn't be in for him in the first place. If he's the man we really want I'd say pay the asking price, if we think there's someone better available, walk away.

If push came to shove I'd rather pay decent money for a reliable keeper and get a LB in on loan and rely on Wharton/Carter/Magloire than spend money at LB and CB but only get another loanee keeper in.

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

And the only way they will get it is by playing Championship games. 

I sort of agree with you on the young centre backs, especially Wharton, but you could equally use that argument for Fisher/Eastham/Hilton.

Chester who was previously mentioned on signed a 1 year deal with Stoke

A solid base is imperative, which means one experienced, good defender to go with Lehinen (I can never remember how to spell his name), a proper left back and a goalkeeper who is not some agency temp that is covering someone on maternity leave so to speak. It is not looking quite so secure right now, as we have no decent left back, no tough, commanding centre back and no goalkeeper with more than a couple of first team appearances for any first team.

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I think you can only judge that strategy a success if said loan players secure you promotion. Otherwise you're just chucking money away year after year and are never any better off on the pitch, having to start again from scratch every 12 months.

If you're only going tio limp in mid table you're better off owning your players then you can benefit from an increase in value of some of them.

He wasn’t planning on “limping” around mid table though Rev. He stated clearly that he wanted to get into the play offs and loaning Tosin and Cunningham was the best way to get those players in as it meant we could afford them.

The notion that you would buy sub standard players just so you know they’re your own is nonsensical.

The ideal here is that you buy a Benrahma, mbeumo or Watkins every year for peanuts and sell high but that is the million dollar answer to football recruitment. It’s the exception rather than the rule.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

He wasn’t planning on “limping” around mid table though Rev. He stated clearly that he wanted to get into the play offs and loaning Tosin and Cunningham was the best way to get those players in as it meant we could afford them.

I’d rather spend my £2-3m on players we’re going to own (seemingly as we seem set to do more of this season) than waste money on players who never bring any value to the clubs assets list, and don’t get us promoted. 

Kasey Palmer
Greg Cunningham
Christian Walton
Tosin Adarabioyo
Harrison Reed

I’d estimate over £4m has been spent on those guys, and now, in August 2020, what do we have to show for it? A minus figure in the books.

Whilst I don’t necessarily trust the club to spend £4m well, it would be nicer to have some permanent players to show for such a large sum, rather than another mid table finish having spent high figures on PL youngsters.

Edited by JoeH

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

The notion that you would buy sub standard players just so you know they’re your own is nonsensical

That’s not the notion being put forward. The notion is that you buy cheaper players that you can own. Cheaper doesn’t always mean worse, Stewart Downing brought 6x, maybe 7x more to Blackburn Rovers football club than Christian Walton did in 2019/20 and was free of charge.

If the pattern of recent windows follow then on September 12th we will kick off with essentially the same players with a cheap addition or two. We will struggle for a few games and as we get towards the end of the window the panic sets in and if we make any signings they are ad hoc and making up the numbers. I get frustrated by this approach particularly when Mowbray, by his own admission likes to integrate players slowly or build up their fitness.

If he knows his budget and there are targets go and get them and have them ready to hit the ground running.

Posted (edited)

The standard of player linked so far is absolutely depressing.  I hope to God we can raise our expectations to the 'Y' list.  

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller

Everyone knows you can't get a Dack at £750,000 every window. But everyone knows you could have nearly 20 Bradley Dack's for Ben Brereton and Sam Gallagher. And that is the crap bit.

7 hours ago, JHRover said:

Any other clubs you know that have no goalkeeper and only 1 CB?

.. a right footed midfielder preferred at left back, one winger and two 6ft4 strikers that can't hold up a ball?

51 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I’d rather spend my £2-3m on players we’re going to own (seemingly as we seem set to do more of this season) than waste money on players who never bring any value to the clubs assets list, and don’t get us promoted. 

Kasey Palmer
Greg Cunningham
Christian Walton
Tosin Adarabioyo
Harrison Reed

I’d estimate over £4m has been spent on those guys, and now, in August 2020, what do we have to show for it? A minus figure in the books.

Whilst I don’t necessarily trust the club to spend £4m well, it would be nicer to have some permanent players to show for such a large sum, rather than another mid table finish having spent high figures on PL youngsters.

Sheffield United seemed to be ok with loaning a goalkeeper..