Stuart

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, unsall said:

Sheffield United seemed to be ok with loaning a goalkeeper..

And I'm not saying you *can't* loan players, I'm saying it clearly hasn't worked for us, two years running, so why not just invest in our own players?

9 hours ago, OssyLad said:

Forest with the bigger budget than us? Come on lad, even if we got to the playoffs and ended up going up we’d of embarrassed ourselves in Prem. nowhere near good enough to be going up yet. 2 or 3 seasons yet atleast before we’ll even be challenging.

Look at Leeds and Sheff U how long did it take them to get out of league 1? Sunderland are struggling now as it is!! 

Wake up 😂

This is beyond naïve.

By the time that comes, our better players (Travis, Armstrong, Dack etc) will all be long gone and we'll be starting another "slow build".

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

And the only way they will get it is by playing Championship games. 

Not if they aren't good enough or ready for it. Then you start sacrificing results for the sake of individual progress and development. Heard that before?

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

If the pattern of recent windows follow then on September 12th we will kick off with essentially the same players with a cheap addition or two. We will struggle for a few games and as we get towards the end of the window the panic sets in and if we make any signings they are ad hoc and making up the numbers. I get frustrated by this approach particularly when Mowbray, by his own admission likes to integrate players slowly or build up their fitness.

If he knows his budget and there are targets go and get them and have them ready to hit the ground running.

The sad thing is. When has Mowbray ever had a player integrated into a team come the start of a season? 

Never is the answer.

I would prefer a foreign keeper to be honest. The bigger, gruffer and more ignorant the better. One of the 2 keepers MUST be signed permanently. 

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

The sad thing is. When has Mowbray ever had a player integrated into a team come the start of a season? 

Never is the answer.

Downing?

It's a fair point though, but the fact we generally sign late doesn't help.

I just have a niggling fear/feeling that this window could run away from us altogether if we don't get on top of things soon. 

46 minutes ago, JoeH said:

And I'm not saying you *can't* loan players, I'm saying it clearly hasn't worked for us, two years running, so why not just invest in our own players?

When you say it hasn’t worked for us, you mean we haven’t been promoted, for a club like us we have to have a balance of buying and loaning.

Think with Cunningham and Tosin they were two excellent loans, shame the lad from Cardiff got a serious injury.

Hardly any signings so far in the championship, think all the signings  will be late on, just wish folk can have a bit of patience. We’ve seen it many times with name’s thrown in, then someone else is signed who’s not been mentioned.

Personally think we’ve made steady progress in the last 3 years and if we can improve this season it will do for me.

Going to be a very challenging season for every club due to the current climate, with no income coming in, and hopefully get back to normality soon as.

Looking at Venkys figures and they like other firms been hit hard. The share price in 12 months has gone from a high of 1942 inr to a low in April of  580 inr, but has come back to 1052 inr last week, so let’s hope they have a few quid in their back pockets for us.

Just now, unsall said:

When you say it hasn’t worked for us, you mean we haven’t been promoted, for a club like us we have to have a balance of buying and loaning.

Think with Cunningham and Tosin they were two excellent loans, shame the lad from Cardiff got a serious injury.

Hardly any signings so far in the championship, think all the signings  will be late on, just wish folk can have a bit of patience. We’ve seen it many times with name’s thrown in, then someone else is signed who’s not been mentioned.

Personally think we’ve made steady progress in the last 3 years and if we can improve this season it will do for me.

Going to be a very challenging season for every club due to the current climate, with no income coming in, and hopefully get back to normality soon as.

Looking at Venkys figures and they like other firms been hit hard. The share price in 12 months has gone from a high of 1942 inr to a low in April of  580 inr, but has come back to 1052 inr last week, so let’s hope they have a few quid in their back pockets for us.

Greg Cunningham played 10 games for us and clearly has long term injury problems, so let's not pretend he was an excellent signing because we'll never truly know what he could or couldn't have done for us. 

Tosin was a great addition, I won't deny that. Walton was a poor addition, mistakes, no better than Raya and not even our player.

And yes, it hasn't worked for us. We could've not spend £4m on loan players over the last two seasons and still be exactly where we are now... in the Championship. Finishing 11th vs 17th doesn't give you anything. We don't get a load more money, a special prize or anything.

7th or 20th you play Championship football the following season.

Just now, JoeH said:

It's not progress if you take a step forward then three steps backwards because half your players go back to the club that *actually* owns them.

7 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Greg Cunningham played 10 games for us and clearly has long term injury problems, so let's not pretend he was an excellent signing because we'll never truly know what he could or couldn't have done for us. 

Tosin was a great addition, I won't deny that. Walton was a poor addition, mistakes, no better than Raya and not even our player.

And yes, it hasn't worked for us. We could've not spend £4m on loan players over the last two seasons and still be exactly where we are now... in the Championship. Finishing 11th vs 17th doesn't give you anything. We don't get a load more money, a special prize or anything.

7th or 20th you play Championship football the following season.

Oh dear, have a look at the history of BRFC think you’ll find the majority of our time has been spent in the second tier of English football, nothing wrong with that, as long as you strive to get to the top tier, but you have to do it in budget and hopefully money available.

Too say Cunningham wasn’t an excellent signing because he only played 10 games, when probably most Rovers fans knew he was, tells me you can’t see a decent player, would love him to come back as we was a very decent acquisition.

Cunningham looked good in his 10 games or so don't get me wrong.

After an injury like that though, not sure I would be rushing out to get him signed up again at the moment.

Just now, unsall said:

Oh dear, have a look at the history of BRFC think you’ll find the majority of our time has been spent in the second tier of English football

Not correct. 73 seasons in the top division, 44 seasons in the second division and only 6 in the third division.

5 minutes ago, unsall said:

Oh dear, have a look at the history of BRFC think you’ll find the majority of our time has been spent in the second tier of English football, nothing wrong with that, as long as you strive to get to the top tier, but you have to do it in budget and hopefully money available.

I think that's the lazy assumption because we spent 26 years out of the top flight between 66 & 92.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, JHRover said:

Not correct. 73 seasons in the top division, 44 seasons in the second division and only 6 in the third division.

Amazes me that subset of Rovers fans that always try and downplay our heritage and standing in English football, like Leeds fans in reverse...

Edited by Mattyblue

2 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Cunningham looked good in his 10 games or so don't get me wrong.

After an injury like that though, not sure I would be rushing out to get him signed up again at the moment.

Twice the player Bell is and in our position I think you need to sign a player like that if you can. Trust the medical team to do their job. 

15 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Are you arguing with yourself? :) 

🤣

39 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Downing?

It's a fair point though, but the fact we generally sign late doesn't help.

I just have a niggling fear/feeling that this window could run away from us altogether if we don't get on top of things soon. 

As per usual. Why will it change?

Just now, 47er said:

As per usual. Why will it change?

I am not sure we have the cash yet to do any signings at the moment even if we want to.

We have £0 season ticket income which we would normally have had £3-4m by now, First batch of TV cash arrives 2 weeks before the season starts so that will be September and not August. We have pretty much the £4m Venky's injected in June to get us through to the TV cash arriving in September. Of that £4m, at least £2.5m will have been spent on wages for June and July.

At the moment we must be living on empty waiting for the next Venky cash injection, so there is absolutely no way we can do any player purchases until that happens, we simply have no available funds in the club to pay for any signing on bonuses etc.

Cunningham was decent enough but not seeing him as an excellent loan signing, more solid than Bell or Williams but only played a handful of games including an absolute shocker away at West Brom where he cost us a couple of goals 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

A solid base is imperative, which means one experienced, good defender to go with Lehinen (I can never remember how to spell his name), a proper left back and a goalkeeper who is not some agency temp that is covering someone on maternity leave so to speak. It is not looking quite so secure right now, as we have no decent left back, no tough, commanding centre back and no goalkeeper with more than a couple of first team appearances for any first team.

There's a useful left back at Wigan with a £1.5m release clause. He's the sort of player we ought to be all over. We have need of a left back.We haven't even put a bid in.Pretty conclusive evidence that Mowbray has no money to spend on transfers, if you ask me.

@phili Coincidentally that £4m also covers the outstanding balance for Gallagher and the next tranche of Brereton,in my opinion. 80% of the wages will have been covered by the furlough scheme. It could have been spent to pay the outstanding deferred wages

Edited by Richard Oakley

Just now, Richard Oakley said:

There's a useful left back at Wigan with a £1.5m release clause. He's the sort of player we ought to be all over. We have need of a left back.We haven't even put a bid in.Pretty conclusive evidence that Mowbray has no money to spend on transfers, if you ask me.

You mean the one that's destined to sign for a Premier League team? And who was meant to go to AC Milan in January?

Not a cat in hells chance Rovers could sign him even if we had the money. 

He'll have his choice of any number of top flight teams. Let's get realistic 

1 minute ago, Theaxe15 said:

You mean the one that's destined to sign for a Premier League team? And who was meant to go to AC Milan in January?

If you don't try, you don't get.