BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

I'd rather be a Preston, finishing 9th without wasting wages on loan players, than a Reading, finishing 14th with a plethora of loan players wages wasted.

You can see here the levels of loans for the teams around us from 8th to 14th. We're not the worst for it, but it would be nice to be able to finish 9th without relying on other clubs players too heavily like Preston North End managed to achieve. To bring in four loan players this window and be no better off for it in Summer 2021 seems silly to me. Luckily it's not just us in the same predicament, most clubs around us are set to lose players back to their parent clubs. 

rfcs.thumb.png.8cdbe87bdbf084bd90af86b27732d711.png

Left Axis, amount of players on loan at club in 2019/20
Bottom axis, clubs who placed 8th to 14th in the 2019/20 Championship

If I was a Preston fan I would look at that - and think possibly with a Tosin type load - could we have made the top 6. For me it is all about the quality of player you bring in - TM has had some successes mixed in with his Walton's (a bit harsh on Walton - but he doesn't look like a top 6 goal keeper).

• Like 1

Just now, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Don't know much about him - but yet another big striker - as long as we don't play him on the wing like Gallagher and Brereton

He's an out and out target man, so I would be hoping he would be a direct replacement for Graham.

Where is our link to him mentioned actually? 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, but the discussion isn't whether we are signings Pears on loan. I am assuming that one would be permanent. 

Apologies, I didn’t mean any team in particular Boro was the first team that came to mind! And of course Pears is at Boro.

i just think now we have to get a proven keeper. Too long we’ve been so poor in this area. The GK is vital yet we keep failing to address this position.

7 minutes ago, unsall said:

Yeah you’re right should have said since I started watching Rovers, early ‘60s, but just trying to get over that we have had a lot of seasons in the second tier, don’t get me wrong I really want us to get back with the big boys, but am also realistic seeing how long it took Leeds and Sheffield Unt to return. 

I certainly don’t believe we have a divine right to be in the PL, but as a club we have always been a side in and around the top end when in this league for a sustained period.

The 1950s and the 1980s were largely spent in the second division, but we were mostly competing at the top end of it.

We’ve spent this past decade mostly where we are right now - mid table, never really in with a sniff and just treading water year after year (yet with owners richer than Bill Fox and co would ever have believed!). It’s no wonder the fanbase has become so apathetic.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

Just now, Hi Mack said:

Apologies, I didn’t mean any team in particular Boro was the first team that came to mind! And of course Pears is at Boro.

i just think now we have to get a proven keeper. Too long we’ve been so poor in this area. The GK is vital yet we keep failing to address this position.

I agree 100%. I wish we would actually spend some money on 1 of the keepers. It's a crucial position. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

Very true. I won't deny Harrison Reed his special place in Rovers fans heart. A player with great tenacity and one I'd love to have here. But the simple fact remains, he isn't our player, he didn't help get us promoted, and we could've achieved what we did (survival in the CH) without wasting a chunk of money on him.

From a simply business only sense, Harrison Reed and Kasey Palmer were effectively pointless for us. We'd have stayed up without them, so it was basically just a loss of funds for the sake of extra bodies. Obviously from a footballing sense I think Reed brought a lot to the table, but at the end of the season we achieved what we achieved, and I think we could've easily done the same without him.

I second this, for me quality loans should compliment an established permanent core and be used to push for promotion. We don't have it. The only real winners in the Tosin deal were City and Tosin. Instead we use them to plug a few holes.

This loan discussion is stupid. It depends on the player. Some work out, some don't. It can be a way to access player we couldn't afford otherwise, Tosin being the most recent example. Every team who gets promoted generally has a stand out loan or 2. We simply have to get involved in the loan market. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I certainly don’t believe we have a divine right to be in the PL, but as a club we have always been a side in and around the top end when in this league for a sustained period.

The 1950s and the 1980s were largely spent in the second division, but we were mostly competing at the top end of it.

We’ve spent this past decade mostly where we are right now - mid table, never really in with a sniff and just treading water year after year (yet with owners richer than Bill Fox and co would ever have believed!). It’s no wonder the fanbase has become so apathetic.

You obviously wasn’t around in the ‘60s/ 70s, Chaiman and directors ran the club those days, remember 1964 top of the league, div 1, after Christmas, sold our main striker Fred Pickering to Everton, came nowhere, 1966 sold best C/H in Britain Mike England, relegated, 1970 best English r/b Keith Newton sold to Everton late 70s sold another r/b John Bailey to who else Everton, Kevin Hird to Leeds.

Lost 3 managers to Everton, fans used to think our board of directors had shares in Everton, so we were mostly a selling club, but you know what, it never stopped me going down to Ewood and supporting the team, never boycotted the team, and whatever happens in the future will always support the team regardless of the owners or manager. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, unsall said:

You obviously wasn’t around in the ‘60s/ 70s, Chaiman and directors ran the club those days, remember 1964 top of the league, div 1, after Christmas, sold our main striker Fred Pickering to Everton, came nowhere, 1966 sold best C/H in Britain Mike England, relegated, 1970 best English r/b Keith Newton sold to Everton late 70s sold another r/b John Bailey to who else Everton, Kevin Hird to Leeds.

Lost 3 managers to Everton, fans used to think our board of directors had shares in Everton, so we were mostly a selling club, but you know what, it never stopped me going down to Ewood and supporting the team, never boycotted the team, and whatever happens in the future will always support the team regardless of the owners or manager. 

What has any of that got to do with my point? 

You said that said we shouldn’t expect to be in the PL, I agree, but there should be a belief that we can compete in the second tier.

History tells us that isn’t a unrealistic belief  -  the other two full decades which we largely spent in this division we were always competitive at the top end, even though in the 80s we didn’t have a pot to piss in - we are currently (8 years and counting) also rans with billionaire owners.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

@JoeH whilst I understand your skepticism in regards to loans, its a little simplistic to say that any team that finishes mid table may aswell do it without any loans. That would imply that you are settling for mid table before you start the season.

Loans should be the salt seasoning to your steak before the cooking begins. Loans should not be where you source the meat itself. In my opinion. Plugging our main GK, main CB and main LB holes with loans didn't work in 2019/20 and will not work again in 2020/21.

Just now, JoeH said:

Loans should be the salt seasoning to your steak before the cooking begins. Loans should not be where you source the meat itself. In my opinion. Plugging our main GK, main CB and main LB holes with loans didn't work in 2019/20 and will not work again in 2020/21.

Depends on the player! 

• Like 2