BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

28 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

That article is silly. Why did we have those 2 as our transfer targets if our budget was less than their clubs would accept?I'm confused

I'd be surprised if it was any other way at the moment to be honest.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

To play the style Mowbray wants to play you need a centre back who is comfortable on the ball and a central midfielder who is very comfortable on the ball. We don't have either of those and to get them will cost good money and that is without even considering the fact we have to sign  2 keepers and a left back as well, as a minimum. Mowbray might want to play this fantasy football style of his but fantasy is all that it will ever be.

Yeah, If we still  had  Stephan Henchoz and Henning Berg  with Tugay playing for us we could give it a whirl, but we haven't. It's funny how a guy who was a pretty rudimentary centre half has these delusions of grandeur about playing a very expansive, possession based game.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I just hope the nucleus of this squad doesn't break up before being utilsied properly. Those 2 centrally, perfect. Evans and Travis, perfect. You get a good keeper, a good centre half and 2 proper wingers. Play 4-4-2 even. Press hard and get the ball forward quickly. I really think that would work for us. Johnson, Downing, Brereton , Holtbyand Gallagher all fine as subs, good options. 

If you're going to play 4-4-2 with players out wide you can afford one of the players to be the more static type of " winger " like maybe Holtby but the other winger then has to be a quick, attacking player who's going to run with the ball all the time like we all hoped Chapman was going to be.  Maybe Armstrong could be that player but that would seem to be a waste to me.  You can't have both wingers who aren't really a threat on a quick breakout.

If you are going to get the ball forward quickly inevitably not every pass will be well directed, that's why you need two to share the job of chasing everything down. You may get more out of Gallagher and Brererton by pairing them up as a goal threat but their attitude to running the hard yards would have to improve.

I'd be trying these sort of formations in training in full scale serious 11 v 11 practice matches, see how it works out. It makes you wonder what they actually do.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

Whilst we are plodding along in mid-table every season we just won't be appealing to the real top level loans that are available, plus our scouting needs to improve. If you asked pre-season who got the better player, us or Leeds (Tosin v White) I am sure most would have said us. The fact one is now being mentioned as a 30 million player, whereas the other could plausibly be back on loan in the Championship next season, has to come down to the management they have been under in the last season. 

Wanted:-

Centre half who has the technical ability to play like a midfielder and play out from the back. Someone who is composed and can pass a ball. Maybe even one that is technically good enough to take free kicks and penalties. Basic centre-half defending ability is preferred but not essential. Recent international experience would be advantageous. 

Hmmm. Sound familiar?

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

Just to save me scrolling through multiple pages on the thread, would I be correct in assuming we haven't made any signings, or been positively linked with anybody and we're still uncertain whether any funds are available for transfer fees?

If so, its what I expected and what we're likely to need to get accustomed to for the foreseeable future.

With no immediate income stream and the fact that company records only need to be kept for 7 years, I fear the worst.

• Like 2

I am starting to get a bit worried about next season. If we continue with the possession based approach and recruit players to fit this system and it fails to work (since the resumption of the season it seems most managers had figured out how to nulify it and beat us) I am starting to think we will be in a relegation dog fight without and fight.

We may beat the top 6 teams but fail to beat the bottom 12 teams who are happy for us to have all the possession and just hit us with a set piece goal and use their better defensive organization and capabilities to defend the lead.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Yes he did. He put him forward as a loan signing.

No he didn't put him forward as a loan signing.

He was asked about ball playing centre halves in the championship.

Chaddy is on twitter etc he would have seen White being linked with a multi million pound transfer

It's Clarke who was on loan at Derby from Brighton he mentioned as a possible signing

Edited by islander200
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, phili said:

I am starting to get a bit worried about next season. If we continue with the possession based approach and recruit players to fit this system and it fails to work (since the resumption of the season it seems most managers had figured out how to nulify it and beat us) I am starting to think we will be in a relegation dog fight without and fight.

We may beat the top 6 teams but fail to beat the bottom 12 teams who are happy for us to have all the possession and just hit us with a set piece goal and use their better defensive organization and capabilities to defend the lead.

It will fail without doubt  - you can have all the possession you want   but if you don't  do anything with the ball you have no chance

Throw in our inability to  defend  as a unit ( even without proper defenders)  and the square pegs and round holes   we are already know about and it just gets further depressing

Don't worry ... defenders   are coming  I tell ye!!

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

He was asked to name a ball playing centre half in the championship last season and he did .

He wasn't mentioning White as a potential signing 

That's a bit of a pointless exercise. I'm interested in players who we can sign, not endless fantasies.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's bit of a pointless exercise. I'm interested in players who we can sign, not endless fantasies.

That wasn't what he was responding too he gave an example of a ball playing centre half who can also do his job defensively

He is an unrealistic signing now but last season he was made available for a loan to a championship club .

Think the point he was trying to make is there are young players at premier league clubs who could perform at a similar standard.

I wouldn't have  confidence that Mowbray could identify and sign them though 

• Like 3

Just now, Blue blood said:

Have to say centre halves, ball playing or not, don't really feature in my endless fantasies Tyrone... 

I'm not into centre halves, but if they're from the ladies team and they're ball-playing... I mean it's an oft-neglected area.

• Like 4

Just now, Blue blood said:

Have to say centre halves, ball playing or not, don't really feature in my endless fantasies Tyrone... 

These are endless football fantasies. I've a couple. We want Charlton Athletic's Phillips on a free, but we'll pay them a million pounds, if we're promoted this season. We ask for Pears on a free.

Just now, islander200 said:

That wasn't what he was responding too he gave an example of a ball playing centre half who can also do his job defensively

He is an unrealistic signing now but last season he was made available for a loan to a championship club .

Think the point he was trying to make is there are young players at premier league clubs who could perform at a similar standard.

I wouldn't have  confidence that Mowbray could identify and sign them though 

Well, he kind of did last season! Not on Whites level, but a good one. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well, he kind of did last season! Not on Whites level, but a good one. 

Yet we ended up paying more for that player on loan than if we had signed Bauer. If we had signed Bauer, we probably would have ended up conceding less goals than we did.

Although both maybe academic as I am sure the main plan last summer was Mulgrew to continue to partner Lennihan in defense and Adarabioyo to partner Travis in midfield.

Just now, phili said:

Yet we ended up paying more for that player on loan than if we had signed Bauer. If we had signed Bauer, we probably would have ended up conceding less goals than we did.

Although both maybe academic as I am sure the main plan last summer was Mulgrew to continue to partner Lennihan in defense and Adarabioyo to partner Travis in midfield.

Debatable about Bauer, hardly set the world alight

I honestly don't know where you have pulled your theory in the last line from. Mulgrew was clearly out of contention and down the pecking order and Adarabioyo did not play 1 game near midfield at senior level, let alone for us. Whatever Mowbrays faults I am close to 100% sure he played Adarabayo exactly where he planned to and where he has consistently said he would from the moment we signed him.