BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

8 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Tough metrics to actually find info on, but defensively there's some interesting stuff to see. Most of it backs up the general thoughts we mainly share on the season as a fan base.

In 2019/20 Rovers conceded 63 goals, which averages out at 1.37 per game. Walton had a save percentage of 69.1%, about average for the Championship, and our clean sheet percentage stood at 26.1%. We faced 175 shots on target across 46 games and 121 of them were saved. 

When Elliott Bennett played we conceded 46 goals this season, compared to when Ryan Nyambe played, where we conceded only 39.

Our average points per match stood at 1.425 when Darragh Lenihan and Tosin Adarabioyo played as a pair, as opposed to 1.275 when Darragh Lenihan and Derrick Williams played as a pair.

We averaged a goal conceded every 64 minutes when Amari'i Bell started at Left-Back, vs an average of a goal conceded every 92 minutes when Greg Cunningham started at left-back.

(little non-defensive based one whilst I'm here, we average an extra 10 seasonal goals when Lewis Travis, Adam Armstrong and Darragh Lenihan all start together in the same XI)

What about Pears' goalkeeping stats compared to the rest of the divisions goalkeepers?

32 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Tough metrics to actually find info on, but defensively there's some interesting stuff to see. Most of it backs up the general thoughts we mainly share on the season as a fan base.

In 2019/20 Rovers conceded 63 goals, which averages out at 1.37 per game. Walton had a save percentage of 69.1%, about average for the Championship, and our clean sheet percentage stood at 26.1%. We faced 175 shots on target across 46 games and 121 of them were saved. 

When Elliott Bennett played we conceded 46 goals this season, compared to when Ryan Nyambe played, where we conceded only 39.

Our average points per match stood at 1.425 when Darragh Lenihan and Tosin Adarabioyo played as a pair, as opposed to 1.275 when Darragh Lenihan and Derrick Williams played as a pair.

We averaged a goal conceded every 64 minutes when Amari'i Bell started at Left-Back, vs an average of a goal conceded every 92 minutes when Greg Cunningham started at left-back.

(little non-defensive based one whilst I'm here, we average an extra 10 seasonal goals when Lewis Travis, Adam Armstrong and Darragh Lenihan all start together in the same XI)

Cheers @JoeH I'm sure you'll dig to mine the figures, if you can. Aside from showing us that Bell and Bennett shouldn't be on the pitch again for us, how does Walton's save percentage set him up vis a vis other teams?The 175 shots faced seems rather high.

Your possession chart seems to show that it is having the opposite effect from what Mowbray says.

I found a shots per game chart on footstats.co.uk that gives a top level breakdown.

Edited by Richard Oakley

Just looking at what kind of side we might put out if we didn't sign or sell anyone at all (and don't retain Downing). It's potentially not actually that bad in my opinion but, echoing what we've all been saying, it is so clear that an experienced Gk and Cb would go so, so far towards improving us.

Hilton

Nyambe Lenihan Wharton JRC

Travis Evans

Brereton Dack Armstrong 

Gallagher

Subs: Fisher, Williams, Bell, Rothwell, Johnson, Chapman, Buckley, Holtby

Extras: Williams, Carter, Bell, Bennett, Vale... 

5 minutes ago, Feed the Yak said:

Just looking at what kind of side we might put out if we didn't sign or sell anyone at all (and don't retain Downing). It's potentially not actually that bad in my opinion but, echoing what we've all been saying, it is so clear that an experienced Gk and Cb would go so, so far towards improving us.

Hilton

Travis Evans

Brereton Dack Armstrong 

Gallagher

I’m sorry but with that defence you are fighting relegation! CH and GK are needed ASAP!

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

What about Pears' goalkeeping stats compared to the rest of the divisions goalkeepers?

Don't have that right now but will definitely look into it. I have Walton vs Pears head to head.
486268375_WaltonvsPears.thumb.png.338dffad3f5214ee195578c7f61ce96f.png

Just now, JoeH said:

Don't have that right now but will definitely look into it. I have Walton vs Pears head to head.
486268375_WaltonvsPears.thumb.png.338dffad3f5214ee195578c7f61ce96f.png

Considering that they played in different sides with different styles and different defences, I think only the top stat is useful really in that it measures saves to shots which is clear cut. But not particularly flattering to Pears. The aerial catches is a surprise on Waltons behalf, even though his ability at that is a overrated that is a really low figure.

Obviously taken with a huge pinch of salt because it doesnt factor in things like mistakes leading to goals etc too, Waltons well into double figures which is the main issue. Thanks for the stats though, the shots saved one is useful.

I remember watching Pears play v Forest and he made a really bad mistake from a corner to allow Grabban to equalise. I also remember him clattering Rankin Costello v us although that wasnt a mistake. Otherwise I dont really remember him when I have seen Boro play this season, last time I saw them v Millwall he had been dropped.

The thing with Pears, not factoring in a very mixed bag of opinions from Boro fans. Is that hes barely played any senior football so I hope it is just paper talk. The plus would be that he would be ours and he may well turn into a very good keeper but he is so far from his peak. He is also small for a keeper.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Considering that they played in different sides with different styles and different defences, I think only the top stat is useful really in that it measures saves to shots which is clear cut. But not particularly flattering to Pears. The aerial catches is a surprise on Waltons behalf, even though his ability at that is a overrated that is a really low figure.

Obviously taken with a huge pinch of salt because it doesnt factor in things like mistakes leading to goals etc too, Waltons well into double figures which is the main issue. Thanks for the stats though, the shots saved one is useful.

I remember watching Pears play v Forest and he made a really bad mistake from a corner to allow Grabban to equalise. I also remember him clattering Rankin Costello v us although that wasnt a mistake. Otherwise I dont really remember him when I have seen Boro play this season, last time I saw them v Millwall he had been dropped.

The thing with Pears, not factoring in a very mixed bag of opinions from Boro fans. Is that hes barely played any senior football so I hope it is just paper talk. The plus would be that he would be ours and he may well turn into a very good keeper but he is so far from his peak. He is also small for a keeper.

Oh agreed. Data on goalkeepers is very limited, not often particularly useful and it's why it's not something I'm a favourite of spending too much time on. I think however that when you throw Dillion Phillips in there, it's clear which of the three is better.

We should be snapping their arm off at the measly price of a million in 2020

1259101340_WaltonvsPhillipsvsPears.thumb.png.179bee6b6e8152011edbc1e902c9fe6b.png

I saw this on twitter @JoeH which supposedly also considers the difficulty of saves made. That is subjective in reality so not sure on the worth of it. But the top 6 goalkeepers are of no surprise. And some really poor keepers near the bottom like Long, Camp, Grabara etc.

But again, its possibly not anything to take too seriously. Sluga is quite high up but has made so many mistakes this season. Walton just below half way. 

20200812_232823.thumb.jpg.b2121612d953430df2544dad0a50028d.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I saw this on twitter @JoeH which supposedly also considers the difficulty of saves made. That is subjective in reality so not sure on the worth of it. But the top 6 goalkeepers are of no surprise. And some really poor keepers near the bottom like Long, Camp, Grabara etc.

But again, its possibly not anything to take too seriously. Sluga is quite high up but has made so many mistakes this season. Walton just below half way. 

20200812_232823.thumb.jpg.b2121612d953430df2544dad0a50028d.jpg

It's another positive for Phillips.

• Like 1

I know it's just data but Jesus, it's becoming increasingly obvious that Phillips is a no-brainer at the 800k - 1 mill fee being mentioned. Even in this climate. Just. Fucking. Sign him.

Didn't we just free up about probably 30-40k per week, so 1.5 mill to 2 mill in wages for this upcoming year? That's before Downing potentially doesn't re-sign, which would be about another million. And it isn't counting whatever we were paying Brighton and City for the loanees.

• Like 7

At this point I’d rather just know for sure if we are skint so I can lower my expectations. I really think we are three signings and two loans away from being a top side in this league, baring no sales. But we have been here before, a lot, teetering on the brink. 
If we are skint, and have to rely on the  academy then that’s fine, I’ll support that as its the only other alternative route to going for it. If that’s the case then Mowbray oot, and Johnson in.

• Like 2

Just sign the Charlton keeper ffs. From.the stats above he was one of the best keepers in the division last season. Charlton need the dosh and he will want to stay in the CH. No brainer - get it done!

Then we can move onto CB and LB.

We will dally as usual and he will go elsewhere...you just know it.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 9

48 minutes ago, Amo said:

Lame idea for a superhero. 

That’s a Python sketch right there...“Argument Room”

”I came in here for an argument...you’re just contradicting me...”

”Contradiction is argument...”

”No it isn’t.....it’s just the automatic gain saying of the previous postulation...” etc & so on....

8 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I find mowbrays tenure more frustrating than any other rovers manager in history, including the ones we all hate. Just edges ahead of bowyer but at least bowyer was good at the transfer game 

Or perhaps his dad was!?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

At this point I’d rather just know for sure if we are skint so I can lower my expectations. I really think we are three signings and two loans away from being a top side in this league, baring no sales. But we have been here before, a lot, teetering on the brink. 
If we are skint, and have to rely on the  academy then that’s fine, I’ll support that as its the only other alternative route to going for it. If that’s the case then Mowbray oot, and Johnson in.

That is almost half a side a way - scary and, IMO, how little we've progressed in three and a half years under Mowbray.

Slow build, evolution, possession football - IMO, it's all cr@p and excuses and it keeps Mowbray in his well paid job!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Feed the Yak said:

Hilton

Travis Evans

Brereton Dack Armstrong 

Gallagher

That as a starting side would be below my hopes, but I think would be reasonable. Personally I would have Bennett on the bench Instead of Bell