BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Not commented on here for a while, still rather new to it all, like most I’ve been frustrated with how the last few weeks of the season have gone..

On the Samuel debate, no chance I’d keep him here beyond the last two games, Hopefully we’ll do all we can to keep Dack and Armstrong, Graham if there’s not much of a budget, maybe worth one more year..

If we could by some miracle shift Brereton and Gallagher then I’m all for that, Obviously not going to get anything near what we paid but moving them on would be beneficial.. then from there hopefully we’ll be able to rebuild the front line.

Edited by Blue&WhiteArmy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

As a manager both Mowbray and Keane have won the championship. 

What he won as a player I'd argue is largely irrelevant now.

The advantage of being a manager when you were a great player is that you have pulling power with players as they want to work with you. How many of the current crop would be desperate to work with Keane with the persona he has on tv? Not many I'd guess, also a lot of the younger lads wont have ever seem him play. If those leaked texts from the ireland camp are anything to go by then it appears they weren't particularly in awe of him either.

9 out of 10 is a big exaggeration I think. 

The attraction of Keane is that sooner or later as Manager he would get to meet Bling, and nut him.

A lot of wishful thinking on here. Quite understandable.

The reality is that Mowbray, Brereton and Gallagher are going nowhere......... That's deliberate!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Samuel is awful.

i bet the people advocating keeping him are the same ones who wanted to keep joe nuttall. Another who deserved a chance and has proved he wasn’t up to it either

Nuttal was a donkey but had a bit of a goalscoring knack. Brown and Varney were genuinely better players. 

He had that knack though and that's why he edged in front of Samuel. Says it all really.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Nuttal was a donkey but had a bit of a goalscoring knack. Brown and Varney were genuinely better players. 

He had that knack though and that's why he edged in front of Samuel. Says it all really.

Only thing going for Samuel is he gets in the right position now and again. Just a shame he has two left feet and the finishing of Ade Akinbiyi (on a bad day). If he gets a new deal then that tells you all you need to know about next season.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 3

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Only thing going for Samuel is he gets in the right position now and again. Just a shame he has two left feet and the finishing of Ade Akinbiyi (on a bad day). If he gets a new deal then that tells you all you need to know about next season.

He offers more in an attacking sense as a wide forward than Gallagher or BB but there's probably less goal threat in him.  Problem we have now is Mowbray has these 3 on the books so he'll keep churning out more of the same to give them games and try and justify them.  That's my main issue with retaining Samuel. 

We've seen the same thing for several seasons with him now when he's been fit and you can literally count on one hand his good games. We've seen the same from Brereton since he's been here which is not very much at all and Gallagher is threatening to go the same way despite the odd encouraging effort.

We simply can't keep trying to accommodate players if we want to give forwards so something has to give otherwise we'll go around in the same circles.

I have seen enough of Samuel since the return to conform that he isn't good enough. Gets pushed off the ball far too easily for someone his size and isn't great with the ball. He could be decent in League 1 for someone, but I don't think he would ever get in double figures at that level for a season. 

If possible , the following players should go. I'm not including returning loan players.

Williams, Bell, Samuel, Bennett, Graham and Johnson. That would free up considerable wages. I would keep everyone else , bring in some youth like Wharton, Butterworth and Vale to replace those guys. Then spend the rest on a good goalkeeper, left-back and centre half. I mean as good as we can realistically get. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

And ye know what, I wish someone would ask him straight out does he think he is an idiot for spending £12 million on Brereton and Gallagher. Because clearly those moves have been unmitigated disasters to this point. 

The telegraph won't and nobody else gives a toss, so it won't get asked.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

How did he win the championship then? Fluke? Too negative Chaddy, same with new owners, always want to stay safe and boring....that will get you relegated. 

I'm looking forward to all these European incomings.....

Mowbray has the won the championship more recently than Roy Keane and playing a very attractive style of football.

13 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Wasnt defending mowbray just think this Roy Keane idea is a bit silly

It actually wasn't a Keane idea.  It was a someone like Keane idea.....This club needs a hard, disciplined manager to get it to where it should be.  Instead we seem to have Mary Berry with a bunch of soft centred puddings...

13 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

How did he win the championship then? Fluke? Too negative Chaddy, same with new owners, always want to stay safe and boring....that will get you relegated. 

I'm looking forward to all these European incomings.....

well seems that its you who is championing Keane so surely you would know how he got Sunderland promote. 

I am not to make some claims on here that new owners would be better or worse than the current ones until its happens. I've explained my reasons yesterday for this opinion

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

well seems that its you who is championing Keane so surely you would know how he got Sunderland promote. 

I am not to make some claims on here that new owners would be better or worse than the current ones until its happens. I've explained my reasons yesterday for this opinion

What would they have to do to be worse ?

I think minimum we need to do with the team for next year to kick on :

----------------------New Signing

Nyambe-------Lenihan----New Signing----New Signing

--------------------Travis------Davenport

---------JRC------------Dack-----------Armstrong

-----------------------New Signing

Subs : New GK, New CB, New Full Back, Evans, Holtby, Gallagher, New Striker

Squad : Williams, Bell, Johnson, Bennett, Downing, Buckley, Samuel, Rothwell, Graham

Sold : Brereton, Smallwood, Mulgrew, Bennett

By my count that's eights new players. A bit of a stretch but doable. Last few years we've signed about 5-7 first team players each summer. For example last year we got 7 - Holtby, Gallagher, Cunningham, Walton, Johnson, Downing, Tosin. 

A top gk, centreback, left back and striker would turn us into a top six outfit. Can Mowbray manage that though? Or will he spend all his money on more number 10s, holding midfielders and wide strikers?

Edited by joey_big_nose

6 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I think minimum we need to do with the team for next year to kick on :

----------------------New Signing

Nyambe-------Lenihan----New Signing----New Signing

--------------------Travis------Davenport

---------JRC------------Dack-----------Armstrong

-----------------------New Signing

Subs : New GK, New CB, New Full Back, Evans, Holtby, Gallagher, New Striker

Squad : Williams, Bell, Johnson, Bennett, Downing, Buckley, Samuel, Rothwell, Graham

Sold : Brereton, Smallwood, Mulgrew, Bennett

By my count that's eights new players. A bit of a stretch but doable. Last few years we've signed about 5-7 first team players each summer. For example last year we got 7 - Holtby, Gallagher, Cunningham, Walton, Johnson, Downing, Tosin. 

A top gk, centreback, left back and striker would turn us into a top six outfit. Can Mowbray manage that though? Or will he spend all his money on more number 10s, holding midfielders and wide strikers?

A bit of an ask with the money pissed up the wall on 2 non contributing strikers and amidst a pandemic.

Davenport has I dont think ever started a game for us and Rankin Costello only 5, 4 of which were out of position. Not sure we can bank on them yet although they need time.

Also think we would be sued should we manage to sucker someone into buying Brereton, or indeed Mulgrew or Bennett. Samuel and Graham need to be cut away too.

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Just look at the Wigan owner who put the club in admin after 4 weeks. 

That could be the best thing for them. They have very little Football debt and are in a much better recovery position than ourselves from a financial sense.

If we go into admin now, ours will be a lot trickier to recover from. We are still playing managers, players etc off from years ago. All our transfers have been payments over a number of years and these for new owners have to be paid in full as per the agreement. Football debt is not like normal debt where the new owner offers 10p in the £ to clear the debt etc.

It will be a horror story looking at our books, probably why the haven't put us into Administration thus far.

15 minutes ago, phili said:

That could be the best thing for them. They have very little Football debt and are in a much better recovery position than ourselves from a financial sense.

If we go into admin now, ours will be a lot trickier to recover from. We are still playing managers, players etc off from years ago. All our transfers have been payments over a number of years and these for new owners have to be paid in full as per the agreement. Football debt is not like normal debt where the new owner offers 10p in the £ to clear the debt etc.

It will be a horror story looking at our books, probably why the haven't put us into Administration thus far.

I'm not sure how administration works but I'm fairly positive if they entered administration they'd have to effectively wipe that debt off, which is probably part of the reason they have never done so. Maybe they are of the illusion that one day they'll see a return on it.

In any case, get me a Blackburn Rovers FC in the Evostik North but owned by accountable people any day of the week over treading water in the Championship with a giant rock over our heads, being made to feel thankful for the money they put in.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

A bit of an ask with the money pissed up the wall on 2 non contributing strikers and amidst a pandemic.

Davenport has I dont think ever started a game for us and Rankin Costello only 5, 4 of which were out of position. Not sure we can bank on them yet although they need time.

Also think we would be sued should we manage to sucker someone into buying Brereton, or indeed Mulgrew or Bennett. Samuel and Graham need to be cut away too.

Well you can swap round Evans or Johnson for Davenport and Rothwell or Downing for JRC. The point was more that's probably the minimum signings we want.