BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

45 minutes ago, Jlee1984 said:

Got a feeling we are working on in-house deals first, until we do Mowbray wont know exactly what he has to work with

Oh the assumptions in that statement. I think I'll content myself with 'they're all on holiday, there's nobody home.

I think Mowbray et al have put a draft budget together and may even have Suhail Pasha's seal of approval. However, if Mowbray goes out to India, he'll have 14 quarantine on his return in addition to any quarantine requirement as in India. Going to India seems impractical.

The current offer to Downing seems to have uncanny similarities to Rodwell last year.

Edited by Richard Oakley

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The bit of transfer news that we do know is supposedly happening which has gone quiet is Downings contract. It would be crazy if he signed but missed any of pre season due to any dithering.

It will be interesting to see how many if any of our signings are made from abroad to justify this "European scouting network."

Do you really believe negotiations have taken place? 

I don't. I think Mowbray wants to keep him but hasn't had authority to issue a new deal yet.

The place is in lockdown. Another year for Downing should be the easiest deal in history.

• Like 1

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

Friend is a player that the great Warnock has let go - imagine the howls of protest if we signed him - eg Pears

The great Warnock? A while back you were saying that he was past it and was going to take Middlesbrough down.

Also Warnock did offer a contract to Friend.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/18626880.neil-warnock-confirms-contract-offer-george-friend-marvin-johnson/

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 2

Friend is a player that the great Warnock has let go - imagine the howls of protest if we signed him - eg Pears

He was offered a new contract by Warnock but chose to have a fresh start with a manager that he has previously worked with in Aitor Karanka.

Part of the criticism would come because of the managers lack of imagination in the transfer market if that happened, although that being said, Friend would get into our first team even if I would want better ideally.

33 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The bit of transfer news that we do know is supposedly happening which has gone quiet is Downings contract. It would be crazy if he signed but missed any of pre season due to any dithering.

It will be interesting to see how many if any of our signings are made from abroad to justify this "European scouting network."

Dithering ??? Surely not !!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

The great Warnock? A while back you were saying that he was past it and was going to take Middlesbrough down.

Also Warnock did offer a contract to Friend.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/18626880.neil-warnock-confirms-contract-offer-george-friend-marvin-johnson/

Yet Warnock's greatness was not sufficient to tempt Friend ? 

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

It was enough to keep Middlesbrough up against all the odds though. 

Hardly against the odds, mate. One club had a points deduction and Hull committed suicide. He got 12 points from 8 games almost exactly the same rate of return as Mowbray's return of 22 from 15 in 2016-17.

Warnock is a good manager but the job at Middlesbrough was a good one to take over as Jonathan Woodgate seems like a nice guy but never a manager.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Disgraceful how the Telegraph are implying that the market for a goalkeeper is a congested one suggesting that loads of clubs are after these players.

We've had a head start on everyone knowing both Walton and Leutwiler were away months ago.

Everyone else has at least one senior keeper on their books, none in as urgent need as we are.

Predictably the focus is on young inexperienced loans. Essentially ring City or Liverpool up and ask them to do us a favour and send someone here for next to nothing and avoid the commitment to a contract.

Never get promoted with such an approach.

They'll never ever pull Rovers up on the nitty gritty of these kind of things. Sharpe might pass comment on it on twitter or even in the paper. In front of Mowbray or Waggot then no chance, it would be a question with the easy answer already loaded or arse would drop completely and it would get skirted around.

They'll be mighty relieved this time the going through the motions fans forums are cancelled.

Hardly against the odds, mate. One club had a points deduction and Hull committed suicide. He got 12 points from 8 games almost exactly the same rate of return as Mowbray's return of 22 from 15 in 2016-17.

Warnock is a good manager but the job at Middlesbrough was a good one to take over as Jonathan Woodgate seems like a nice guy but never a manager.

You've changed your opinion. Also they finished 17th well clear of the relegation zone so even if Hull hadn't imploded and Wigan gone into administration they would still have survived comfortably

On 06/07/2020 at 21:12, Mashed Potatoes said:

Warnock is an old man who is heading for  a second successive relegation unless the 12 point deduction rule gets him off the hook. Should call it a day whilst people still hold him in high regard.

On 06/07/2020 at 21:04, Mashed Potatoes said:

Has been. Relying on 12 point deduction for another club to avoid relegation.

On 06/07/2020 at 22:01, Mashed Potatoes said:

For Warnock I was sad when he went back on his previous statements re retirement - I think he is seriously risking his reputation

• Like 1

You've changed your opinion. Also they finished 17th well clear of the relegation zone so even if Hull hadn't imploded and Wigan gone into administration they would still have survived comfortably

I think he is an old man who is at risk of going on for too long. As I noted above I understand why people think highly of him. I haven't changed my opinion.

I think he is an old man who is at risk of going on for too long. As I noted above I understand why people think highly of him. I haven't changed my opinion.

You also said (wrongly) that he was heading for relegation unless a 12 point deduction got him off the hook. Now you are saying that it was a good job to take over. So which one was it?

You also said (wrongly) that he was heading for relegation unless a 12 point deduction got him off the hook. Now you are saying that it was a good job to take over. So which one was it?

It was a good job to take over  - they had just missed out on the playoffs the previous season. But when I wrote about relegation he had not made the greatest start. Overall his record was almost exactly the same as Mowbray when he started with us.

It was a good job to take over  - they had just missed out on the playoffs the previous season. But when I wrote about relegation he had not made the greatest start. Overall his record was almost exactly the same as Mowbray when he started with us.

So it was a good job to take over, but you thought that they were going down. Alright then thanks for clearing that up. ?

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

He still seems to have more drive in his 70's than your mate in his 50's.  He's a brave manager, not everybody's cup of tea but he can't be accused of bottling things. Like i said live by the sword, doesn't always work out but neither does plodding although the latter keeps you in work longer.

10 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

Cheeky loan bid for Messi in the morning? ?

messi not ready for the championship,not matured physically and ,he needs to learn how to play the midfield role from corry evans,he does a good job at left back though,will also struggle trying to fit in with such a tight knit squad,tony does`nt want a potential bad apple steering the side to the play offs?

• Like 6

• Backroom

Who is this ‘Laissez Fair’ we are linked to? he’s been mentioned a couple of times in the last twelve hours!

Hoping tomorrow brings a few lackadaisical drops!

• Like 3