BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

27 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

True, but It's now how Mowbray plays. He likes his 2 CM's to 'recycle possession' as he puts it and not move very far. I'm sure there's' more to both Travis and Evans games and I'm sure they could score more if they got forward. 

When you consider that we have a back four with two midfielders playing more or less in front of them we leak a hell of a lot of goals. I'd expect to be grinding out plenty of 1-0's wins set up like that but we don't. Maybe if we concentrated on playing in our opponents half instead of our own half we may be more successful. Evan's seems to lose the plot completely in front of goal, Travis is a better bet as a source of goals.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 4

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

When you consider that we have a back four with two midfielders playing more or less in front of them we leak a hell of a lot of goals

But it isn't how we play. We play with a back three mostly when we have possession. We're not like Burnley where we've got ten men behind the ball with a back four blocking shots in the box. Our defensive line plays practically on the half way line, which is helpful in an attacking sense but we leak a lot of goals on the counter.

There's only Leeds away this year I can think of off the top of my head as a game where we've been right up against it, defending on our own line for a large portion of the game, almost all of our conceded goals are counter attacking goals really.

Nyambe and the left-back (whoever that is on a given day), push so far forward in attack, then B. Johnson drops in between the defence and we're actually operating a back three in reality. If we lose the ball the responsibility falls to Travis to go and get it back aggressively, but if he fails Bradley Johnson takes the CB slot and the left-sided CB covers the left-back area. In-fact most teams operate in this way, some more effectively than others.

Just now, JoeH said:

But it isn't how we play. We play with a back three mostly when we have possession. We're not like Burnley where we've got ten men behind the ball with a back four blocking shots in the box. Our defensive line plays practically on the half way line, which is helpful in an attacking sense but we leak a lot of goals on the counter.

There's only Leeds away this year I can think of off the top of my head as a game where we've been right up against it, defending on our own line for a large portion of the game, almost all of our conceded goals are counter attacking goals really.

Nyambe and the left-back (whoever that is on a given day), push so far forward in attack, then B. Johnson drops in between the defence and we're actually operating a back three in reality. If we lose the ball the responsibility falls to Travis to go and get it back aggressively, but if he fails Bradley Johnson takes the CB slot and the left-sided CB covers the left-back area. In-fact most teams operate in this way, some more effectively than others.

We usually concede goals when we are not in possession, although not always, see the Luton game for instance.  When we're defending if we have the guys with the required skills playing in the right areas of the pitch  we may do a little bit better. Johnson dropping back to fill in at centre back and a centre half taking over the left full back role seems to be a recipe for conceding goals to me.

• Like 1

• Backroom

Barnsley reviews constantly said 'Lindsay will play at a higher level' than their other defenders and describe him as a 'ball-playing defender'.

Not only does that suit Mowbray, could explain why he struggled at Stoke, hardly famed for passing from defence through midfield.

I tend to err on the side of optimism, mind.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, JoeH said:

He was talking about when we don't have possession. We play a back 4 with 2 sitting CM's. 

Just now, Mike E said:

Barnsley reviews constantly said 'Lindsay will play at a higher level' than their other defenders and describe him as a 'ball-playing defender'.

Not only does that suit Mowbray, could explain why he struggled at Stoke, hardly famed for passing from defence through midfield.

Err'ing on the side of optimism whilst supporting Blackburn Rovers, you deserve a medal sir! 

• Like 1

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

He was talking about when we don't have possession. We play a back 4 with 2 sitting CM's. 

And I'm saying that the starting formation we line-up with mangles and changes completely throughout the game, we don't play with two sitting CM's, Travis gets forward and helps in attack, often popping up outside the box. Nyambe and Bell are up where wingers would normally be. It's a back two/three for large chunks of the game.

I read the Stoke forums the other day and they were claiming that that Lindsay was shite and that the Aussie lad that we were also linked to should be playing instead of him. He was rated at Barnsley though and attracted quite a few clubs. For whatever reason, it has not worked out there but he does tick the boxes in terms of being able to play out a bit and is left footed. At this point, I just want to see somebody through the damn door. 

Also agree that this might have something to do with Evans. He did play well when called upon this season but lets be honest, he is injured half the time and prior to this season he would generally only play well when his contract was getting close to expiring. We have more cover in CM than we do at the back, so I would robably be fine with that happening - especially if we can get this Whiteman in.

52 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

For my sins I follow him on Instagram and last season he was constantly posting stories of 5am Starbucks runs. You’re hardly going to be performing at your best are you! Imagine his best pal Benno gives him his couch now and again.

Graham never moved from Newcastle and commuted every day with Chapman and  further. 

6 minutes ago, JoeH said:

And I'm saying that the starting formation we line-up with mangles and changes completely throughout the game, we don't play with two sitting CM's, Travis gets forward and helps in attack, often popping up outside the box. Nyambe and Bell are up where wingers would normally be. It's a back two/three for large chunks of the game.

And again, when we're defending was his point. Travis and Nyambe don't hang around up front when we're defending. 

And anyone paying the slightest bit of attention to Mowbray over the years will have hear him say he plays cautiously because he doesn't want hitting on the break. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

And again, when we're defending was his point. Travis and Nyambe don't hang around up front when we're defending. 

And anyone paying the slightest bit of attention to Mowbray over the years will have hear him say he plays cautiously because he doesn't want hitting on the break. 

It’s very rare we’re pinned back in our box defending in two blocks of four. Very rare. Only usually just after set pieces. We do not defending in a 4-2-3-1

Just now, JoeH said:

It’s very rare we’re pinned back in our box defending in two blocks of four. Very rare. Only usually just after set pieces. We do not defending in a 4-2-3-1

We do. The issue really is we have no cover down the flanks because our  wide players aren't particularly good at covering our fullbacks - one of whom (Bell) is fairly awful anyway.  

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

For my sins I follow him on Instagram and last season he was constantly posting stories of 5am Starbucks runs. You’re hardly going to be performing at your best are you! Imagine his best pal Benno gives him his couch now and again.

Yeah iv'e heard he's a bit of a piss head i think his lack of fitness shows that.

Sounds like another Ben Marshall constantly going back to his home town on the razz with his ex team mates and pals.

Edited by tomphil

1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I personally think Davenport is a ready made replacement and I personally think Davenport looks class.

Sorry but can't say Davenport impressed me in the cameos he had this season. Rather get Whiteman in and sell Davenport. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Liam Lindsay would be a nice addition, if the price is right. Left-footed which is a big plus in that LCB position, especially with how weak Bell is at LB. Bit more experience than Wharton at this level and provides some competition.

Wouldn't pay over the odds though considering he can’t get a game for Stoke.

I read Liam Lindsay is the worst defender Stoke have. I hope this has no more legs than he does.

Edited by Richard Oakley

52 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Lindsay is good defender. 

Would fit what we want.

Lindsay and Pinnock were both good at League 1 level and both rumoured last year. Pinnock easily made the step up. Lindsay struggled hence why he has fallen so far down the pecking order.

Not convinced plus if we loaned in Stokes 5th or 6th choice CB, that really would be poor. If it is permanent then fair enough. May be worth us getting 2 CBs in if we can, because we know that it is going to be difficult to replace Adarabioyo, plus we would only have Lenihan as a right footed senior CB.

Is a player Stoke have already deemed to be surplus to requirements going to be an improvement on Adarabioyo? I doubt it so that means we are weaker there already.

To be honest, reading Rich Sharpes article, it just seems to be a 2 plus 2 based on our interest last year. He himself said nothing is close yesterday so I wouldnt get too excited.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I personally think Davenport is a ready made replacement and I personally think Davenport looks class.

Davenport hasnt started a game for us yet as far as I know. So we cant know either way at this point.

Evans next to Travis gets us results more often than not.

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

No it isnt, but we also conceded 63 goals so it all needs re-evaluating.

Burnley end up pinned back when they are playing top Premier League teams so it is imcomparable. Theres no way that they can stop that.

We need to look at the way we are playing as much as who we are bringing in, otherwise we wont get near the play offs. I dont think its possible to bring in a partner for Lenihan as good as Adarabioyo. But you look for example at the full backs BOTH being pushed up. Seldom if ever are our full backs creators of our goals, so why do we need them both so high up at the same time?

Edited by roversfan99

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Lindsay and Pinnock were both good at League 1 level and both rumoured last year. Pinnock easily made the step up. Lindsay struggled hence why he has fallen so far down the pecking order.

Not convinced plus if we loaned in Stokes 5th or 6th choice CB, that really would be poor. If it is permanent then fair enough. May be worth us getting 2 CBs in if we can, because we know that it is going to be difficult to replace Adarabioyo, plus we would only have Lenihan as a right footed senior CB.

Is a player Stoke have already deemed to be surplus to requirements going to be an improvement on Adarabioyo? I doubt it so that means we are weaker there already.

To be honest, reading Rich Sharpes article, it just seems to be a 2 plus 2 based on our interest last year. He himself said nothing is close yesterday so I wouldnt get too excited.

Chris Samba was Hearta Berlin B side and look how good he turned out to be. 

Have you look into why Lindsay might not be O'Neill style of defender but other managers style?  

Lindsay might give balance to the team which would help the defence. 

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Chris Samba was Hearta Berlin B side and look how good he turned out to be. 

Have you look into why Lindsay might not be O'Neill style of defender but other managers style?  

Lindsay might give balance to the team which would help the defence. 

Lindsay would cost too much, if Stoke want back what they paid for him. I'd go for Phillips as our No 1, raid Wigan for Marshall, Robinson and Kipre. I'd go for Joe Williams, too, but I doubt the budget would be there for that. Heck, even thinking we'd have a budget is a bit of a stretch, right now. Nabi Sarr, too, is available on a free, if we wanted to bring 2 CBs in.

• Like 1