BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The lazy option? He's a really good Championship left back 

Yeah he's a good player.

As said though, coming off a serious injury I'd be wary of him at the moment, I'm sure if our recruitment team are up to it we could find somebody just as good.

Edited by MarkBRFC

6 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Yeah he's a good player.

As said though, coming off a serious injury I'd be wary of him at the moment, I'm sure if our recruitment team are up to it we could find somebody just as good.

Not sure it's that straight forward, especially at this point with the virus massively curtailing scouting opportunities in Europe over the last few months and into the future. 

Players get injured, if Cunningham had a proper medical and was signed, i would be very happy. He is twice the player Bell and Williams are 

• Like 2

I think we might have a bit of an underwhelming summer ahead, Mowbray mentions loans here, and I think having had Adarabioyo and Reed (although Palmer and Walton were both unsuccessful) and looking elsewhere at Ben White, Rhian Brewster etc, it is obvious that there is a merit of loaning quality at a club like ours. The worry is the numbers of which Mowbray talks about:

"if we are to end up with a team that it is really competitive then we will probably end up with 5 or 6 loans"

There is no way that having half a team on loan is constructive, its going back to Coyles season, you cant even have more than 5 loans in a matchday squad.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think we might have a bit of an underwhelming summer ahead, Mowbray mentions loans here, and I think having had Adarabioyo and Reed (although Palmer and Walton were both unsuccessful) and looking elsewhere at Ben White, Rhian Brewster etc, it is obvious that there is a merit of loaning quality at a club like ours. The worry is the numbers of which Mowbray talks about:

"if we are to end up with a team that it is really competitive then we will probably end up with 5 or 6 loans"

There is no way that having half a team on loan is constructive, its going back to Coyles season, you cant even have more than 5 loans in a matchday squad.

Watford got promoted with a bag of loans if I remember correctly.

Villa also had a fair few when they went up too.

No doubt you'd rather own your own player but having quite a few loans in your squad isn't necessary a recipe for failure. It is all dependant on the loanee, of course.

• Like 2

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Watford got promoted with a bag of loans if I remember correctly.

Villa also had a fair few when they went up too.

No doubt you'd rather own your own player but having quite a few loans in your squad isn't necessary a recipe for failure. It is all dependant on the loanee, of course.

No absolutely, I totally agree as long as its a couple of real bits of otherwise unobtainable quality to supplement a squad and give them that last push over the line. Not 5 or 6 as that leads to further problems.

The Watford was a unique example due to the joint ownership with Udinese, I think it was a loophole in the rules that has since been closed, and many of them players were transferred permanently at the end of it.

For ourselves, especially considering the financial situation, I am all for us getting one or two bits of real quality to add onto what we have, in areas that we are lacking. Not 5 or 6 though.

• Like 1

The reality is, we cannot afford the type of quality players needed to get promoted so either have to unearth some gems abroad, get top quality players in on loan, or unearth some academy gems. If we get all three strategies spot on then we may have a chance. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

The reality is, we cannot afford the type of quality players needed to get promoted so either have to unearth some gems abroad, get top quality players in on loan, or unearth some academy gems. If we get all three strategies spot on then we may have a chance. 

Absolutely. Signing 5 or 6 loans all at once is not getting that strategy spot on though, it was the quantity that worried me.

That being said, im keen not to feed the narrative of us being a tiny fish in a big pond. We have spent 12m on 2 strikers that have yet to fire.

If you sign players similar to Villa's there is absolutely no reason we can't get promoted with 5 or 6 loans.

They had Johnston, Snoddgrass, Onomah, Tuanzebe and Grabban all on loan during their 10 game winning streak and play off promotion.

Personally I am not worried about the idea of that many loans if they are good quality.

The only issue with loans is that the following season you are back where you started, needing to get the same quality if not better. Eventually them holes in the squad need filling.

Personally I would be looking at getting a goalkeeper in for free - Rob Elliott is out of contract and I'd him. Players like Joe Hart might be pie in the sky but if he's in the local area already, wants a club to revive his career and we need a keeper then it makes sense to at least contact him. He's desperate for a second chance and we are a very patient fan base - he'll get the time here for sure.

I don't want my goalkeeper to only be here for one season because of how competitive the role is. It is possible that a goalkeepers mentality may be that, if they are only here for a season, then a mistake will always be judged in isolation rather than as a collective, and even if he is dropped next season he will get another chance somewhere else. When they are here permanently if they keep making mistakes then they are dropped for the forseeable, and you then become known as a Nr 2. It just seems a different kettle of fish to me than loaning an attacking player.

• Like 2

I'd take Joe Hart if the money was right and he was in the right frame of mind and sufficiently motivated. He's only 32, is an international and in a similar situation to when we took Friedel and Robinson. He'd be able to aid the development of Fisher, Hilton and the other academy goalkeepers.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

If you sign players similar to Villa's there is absolutely no reason we can't get promoted with 5 or 6 loans.

They had Johnston, Snoddgrass, Onomah, Tuanzebe and Grabban all on loan during their 10 game winning streak and play off promotion.

Personally I am not worried about the idea of that many loans if they are good quality.

The only issue with loans is that the following season you are back where you started, needing to get the same quality if not better. Eventually them holes in the squad need filling.

Personally I would be looking at getting a goalkeeper in for free - Rob Elliott is out of contract and I'd him. Players like Joe Hart might be pie in the sky but if he's in the local area already, wants a club to revive his career and we need a keeper then it makes sense to at least contact him. He's desperate for a second chance and we are a very patient fan base - he'll get the time here for sure.

I don't want my goalkeeper to only be here for one season because of how competitive the role is. It is possible that a goalkeepers mentality may be that, if they are only here for a season, then a mistake will always be judged in isolation rather than as a collective, and even if he is dropped next season he will get another chance somewhere else. When they are here permanently if they keep making mistakes then they are dropped for the forseeable, and you then become known as a Nr 2. It just seems a different kettle of fish to me than loaning an attacking player.

Snodgrass, Grabban and Onomah werent there when they got promoted.

As you say, its very short term based so its all or nothing. The difference was with Villa that they could afford the very best possible loanees, notably Abraham and Mings who we would not be able to afford or attract in my opinion. I am not convinced that we could get a player to make that sort of difference, and would be much more comfortable getting one or two loans, which even know has caused us problems re replacements, because its not as risky longer term, and then if its all we can afford, a couple of freebies.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Snodgrass, Grabban and Onomah werent there when they got promoted.

As you say, its very short term based so its all or nothing. The difference was with Villa that they could afford the very best possible loanees, notably Abraham and Mings who we would not be able to afford or attract in my opinion. I am not convinced that we could get a player to make that sort of difference, and would be much more comfortable getting one or two loans, which even know has caused us problems re replacements, because its not as risky longer term, and then if its all we can afford, a couple of freebies.

The manager and make up of the club is the issue attracting quality loanees. If Gerrard or someone of his ilk/generation were manager, we'd attract a higher calibre.

What are the club's ambitions? That's key IMO

2 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

No issues with bringing in loans as long as they are quality players with some experience. Palmer I think was just a bad fit, but still a good player.

I don't think he's done much at Bristol City, Maybe he was a bad fit there as well.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Sigh. Play-off final season then. 

When promoted they had El Ghazi, Bolasie, Mings, Carroll, Tuanzebe, Hause and Abraham. So even more.

Fair enough. I personally think that it is counter productive to be signing quite so many loan players and am unconvinced that we could quite attract the calibre of loan players (notably Abraham, Snodgrass, El Ghazi and Mings) that made such a difference to Villa and also afford them. The main reason to loan players is economical but I am in doubt that the combined loan fees and wages of those players would exceed our budget.

There is also the issue of replacing those players once they have left. Ultimately I appreciate that if they get you promoted then its well worth it but if you get too many and you dont go up then youve spent considerable loan fees and still have the same 5 or 6 gaps in your squad.

• Like 1

If you don't think we can attract the likes of Snodgrass, El Ghazi and Mings then you must either not think very much of our club or think far too highly of them 3 players.

Out of the lot Abraham is probably the least likely, but that's only after the hindsight of seeing him play for clubs like Bristol City and Swansea, and we are a much better club than them.

3 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

If you don't think we can attract the likes of Snodgrass, El Ghazi and Mings then you must either not think very much of our club or think far too highly of them 3 players.

Out of the lot Abraham is probably the least likely, but that's only after the hindsight of seeing him play for clubs like Bristol City and Swansea, and we are a much better club than them.

Its mainly about being able to afford them.

If you are signing a set of loans like that, the combined loan fees and wages will be above our budget, plus also very much a sunk cost at the end of the season unless they take you up, so its high risk.

I think a more reasonable strategy is to sign a couple of loans only.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rovers11 said:

But what we do have to do is when we find ourselves in a good position with games ticking down is have a bloody good go at it on the front foot.

For a club like us it's all going to be about staying around midtable and getting a winning run going at the right time. We aren't capable of running away with a top 2 spot but we are capable of a late charge into the top 6.

The mentality needs to be right for that though, it isn't imo.

• Like 1