BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

No way is the Belgian league a higher standard than the Championship.

Hard to make the comparison, none of their teams pulled up any trees in this year's European competition, but surely it says something that all those current world class Belgian players (De Bruyne, Lukaku, Courtois, Witsel, Hazard and I could go on) got their start there? 

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mulgrew played 45 mins for under 23's against Stanley. So not going to play for us. Luetwiler played in that game for Stanley. 

I wonder if we move for Nathan Phillips from Liverpool. Centre back

He has only ever played 19 senior appearances and is neither the "man next to Lenihan" that Mowbray described nor likely to be available permanently. Surely doesnt fit the bill.

17 minutes ago, tomphil said:

A good whack for Williams might help to pay off Mulgrew !

Otherwise it's heavily subsidized wages to loan him i reckon.

The payoffs rarely seem to be any better than a heavily subsidised loan, on the rare occasions the details come out.

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He has only ever played 19 senior appearances and is neither the "man next to Lenihan" that Mowbray described nor likely to be available permanently. Surely doesnt fit the bill.

Thats a fair point. 

He is never going to be regular at Liverpool tho. Another player who will barely played any first team  at 25/26. Needs proper football. Egan and O'Connell both left their clubs(Sunderland and Rovers) in search of regular football. Now both regular PL players

Can't see it being Ayala due to wage demands. You mention Van Der Hoorn before didn't you? could it him?

Edited by chaddyrovers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08n7qhb

From 20 minutes, the interview with Kaminski as per the official site. From 26 minutes, a short interview with a journalist from Belgium. Obviously of no use to those who arent interested in a players previous career.

To summarise, has made a few errors and got a lot of bad press and lost some confidence. Reputation lower than before he joined Gent. Good reflexes and distribution. Massive weakness claiming his box which is not ideal coming to England. Not one of the best keepers in Belgium but a good one. Bit of surprise about the low fee.

Regarding the centre back we are apparently after, I am curious as to who we can get domestically for less than a million domestically unless its one of the freebies that I have mentioned. You look at the going rate of domestic centre backs. Swansea have been scared off from Williams because hes too dear with 1m+ asking price. Stoke want their 2m fee back for Souttar despite a terrible season. We cant afford a defender from a relegated club in administration. Its either going to be a bog standard player or a real find by Mowbray. Fingers crossed for the latter.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Regarding the centre back we are apparently after, I am curious as to who we can get domestically for less than a million domestically unless its one of the freebies that I have mentioned. You look at the going rate of domestic centre backs

how do you know it less than a million?

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08n7qhb

From 20 minutes, the interview with Kaminski as per the official site. From 26 minutes, a short interview with a journalist from Belgium. Obviously of no use to those who arent interested in a players previous career.

To summarise, has made a few errors and got a lot of bad press and lost some confidence. Reputation lower than before he joined Gent. Good reflexes and distribution. Massive weakness claiming his box which is not ideal coming to England. Not one of the best keepers in Belgium but a good one. Bit of surprise about the low fee.

Regarding the centre back we are apparently after, I am curious as to who we can get domestically for less than a million domestically unless its one of the freebies that I have mentioned. You look at the going rate of domestic centre backs. Swansea have been scared off from Williams because hes too dear with 1m+ asking price. Stoke want their 2m fee back for Souttar despite a terrible season. We cant afford a defender from a relegated club in administration. Its either going to be a bog standard player or a real find by Mowbray. Fingers crossed for the latter.

Good reflexes and distribution is still an upgrade on Walton. I can't remember last we had a keeper that was claiming his box. That was Raya's weakness as well. Probably the curse of the modern keeper. Thinking about I can't remember an opposition either having a keeper dominating their box since Konstantopoulos of Boro. He was a massive unit that one.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

how do you know it less than a million?

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18669991.rovers-transfer-news-latest-budget-defender-search/

"Cedric Kipre, of cash-strapped Wigan Athletic, has been on the club’s radar, but while the budget will allow for cash signings, those are unlikely to stretch to seven-figure fees. That could well rule out a move for the 23-year-old, should the Latics hold firm on their demands for in excess of £1m."

5 minutes ago, briansol said:

Good reflexes and distribution is still an upgrade on Walton. I can't remember last we had a keeper that was claiming his box. That was Raya's weakness as well. Probably the curse of the modern keeper. Thinking about I can't remember an opposition either having a keeper dominating their box since Konstantopoulos of Boro. He was a massive unit that one.

Raya was the kind of goalkeeper who sometimes won points with great saves as well as lost them with mistakes. Walton certainly lost plenty but very seldom made anything other than ordinary saves. Just nothing about him.

Sounds like Kaminski is more from the Raya school of goalkeeping. Worry would be that his weakness may be even more prevalent in English football. Lets hope not.

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

We’ve done some good deadwood clearing so far and offloading Williams for a fee would be a great bit of business. I can’t see Mulgrew giving up his hefty wage, so I think we will be lumbered with him.

We have good youth options all over the pitch, but obviously we need another first choice centre back and we are after (at least) one. I’m hoping against hope that Venky’s break the habit of their reign of terror and actually spend a bit of money on one, I don’t think we’d be in bad shape at all if we just got one really decent centre half and no other signings. If we are baulking at 1.5 mil for Kipre though it doesn’t bode well.

Who's playing LB then?

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

We’ve done some good deadwood clearing so far and offloading Williams for a fee would be a great bit of business. I can’t see Mulgrew giving up his hefty wage, so I think we will be lumbered with him. 

Whose bright idea was it to give Mulgrew a 2½ year deal in the first place, seeing as he was untested at Championship level?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Amo said:

Whose bright idea was it to give Mulgrew a 2½ year deal in the first place, seeing as he was untested at Championship level?

He wasnt untested as he played a season in this division for us and got both winners v Newcastle. That being said, its more his age that made it a stupid decision. We gave loads of needless contracts out after promotion.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

If I was in charge, and on an extremely tight budget, I'd be looking at getting a quality starting LB in as a bare minimum.

I'd love a new CB and a new CM, but the black hole at LB is the cause of a lot of our defensive problems. I think you'll also find that if we improve our LB and the middle of our midfield (i.e. stop teams just walking through us), you can lower your standards at CB. At the moment our back 4 are badly exposed.

Up front I wouldn't do anything - inexperienced, maybe, but I'd throw down the gauntlet to JRC, Dolan, Chapman and Brennan and say there's a place in the starting XI and a place on the bench for two of you. Sort it out among yourselves. That allows you to rotate Dack / Armstrong / Gallagher / Brereton (and sadly Rothwell, even though I think he's a CM) in the other two positions upfront (assuming we're playing a 4-3-3).

Agree a new left back is key, but don't agree that is enough. A good quality centre back will also hugely help. Don't get me wrong I agree totally that sorting out left back would massively help and stop a lot of attacks. I also agree better protection from midfield is a must. However having seen tons of bad centre backs at Rovers over the years, the damage that they can cause is huge. Factor in too that we got a lot of clean sheets despite Walton because of the Tosin Lenihen partnership, and how we did when that partnership wasn't present and I think it shows how crucial a good centre half is. Don't get me wrong I don't think they need to be a ball playing centre half - that's a luxury we can't afford with our budget - but they have to be defensively solid. To me it's an absolute must, utterly crucial. 

As for the rest up front I disagree that it's enough. Not convinced on Gally or Bereton and it's a lot of risk with the youngsters, though I have high hopes for JRC. However whilst there is a need here, I agree that there are bigger issues at the back. It's a poor do that there are so many tbh. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He wasnt untested as he played a season in this division for us and got both winners v Newcastle. That being said, its more his age that made it a stupid decision. We gave loads of needless contracts out after promotion.

I thought he got the new deal on the back of the L1 promotion? Oh well.

Just now, Amo said:

I thought he got the new deal on the back of the L1 promotion? Oh well.

Yeah he did but it was Coyle who signed him so he played, albeit with a few injuried scattered amongst it, in the relegation season. Not always at centre back either.

Not that your point is any less valid and ultimately it is our own fault that we are now lumbered with him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Yeah he did but it was Coyle who signed him so he played, albeit with a few injuried scattered amongst it, in the relegation season. Not always at centre back either.

Not that your point is any less valid and ultimately it is our own fault that we are now lumbered with him.

In my defence, I've tried to blot Coyle's season out of my mind. :lol:

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Bell or Rankin-Costello. Yes, I’d Definitely prefer a new left back, but I wouldn’t be surprised if one didn’t materialise.

So the problem remains.

You could have Van Dijk at CB with Lenihan. You'd still ship a ton of goals down that left hand side. 

• Like 4