Stuart

Summer Transfer Window

Posted (edited)

Wow! Really hope we pull this one off. Would be a bargain!

apparently it’s only for a 6 figure fee.

Edited by TruRover

7 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

You can't say fairer than that. Good interview.

Apart from the comment about Derrick being a big asset for Rovers, he’s been nothing short of dreadful since he arrived.

Just now, RV Blue said:

Apart from the comment about Derrick being a big asset for Rovers, he’s been nothing short of dreadful since he arrived.

Unfair. He's defended well, especially in his first season when he got POTY. He was good in L1 too. His passing is poor.

Wouldnt get carried away just yet mind you:

"However, while an agreement that works for both clubs is close, there is still work to be done on personal terms. And that could well stand in the way of any possible transfer as Rovers look to make their second summer signing."

And working on an alternative. So whilst Wigan seem desperate to sell I think there could be a decent change someone else will take him. Have to keep fingers crossed.

1 minute ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Unfair. He's defended well, especially in his first season when he got POTY. He was good in L1 too. His passing is poor.

No he hasn’t, he’s been awful. The most useless full back I’ve seen play for Rovers, can’t defend, can’t attack, runs through treacle.

Just now, RV Blue said:

No he hasn’t, he’s been awful. The most useless full back I’ve seen play for Rovers, can’t defend, can’t attack, runs through treacle.

I must have imagined him getting POTY.

8 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Rich Sharpe confirms Kipre links. Sticking to my guns that its an okay signing, doesn't seem to suit Mowbray's advertised mould at all, but much like Kaminski, I think this is a case of Rovers stumbling across a circumstanced bargain.

Mowbrays advertised mould doesnt keep the goals out. Seems like Kipre would be as good as we could possibly get on limited funds. Good age too.

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Wouldnt get carried away just yet mind you:

"However, while an agreement that works for both clubs is close, there is still work to be done on personal terms. And that could well stand in the way of any possible transfer as Rovers look to make their second summer signing."

And working on an alternative. So whilst Wigan seem desperate to sell I think there could be a decent change someone else will take him. Have to keep fingers crossed.

You'd hope they wouldn't release journalism surrounding it if it weren't very close I'm sure. Otherwise it'd be very awkward.

28 minutes ago, Amo said:

Sessegnon's a right-back, isn't he? 

I know he's filled in at left before but that's not his natural position.

I'd always thought of him as a left back but you're right, transfer market has his main position as right back but also can play LB and CB. 

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I remember when we had Chimbonda at left back always cutting inside. Not ideal having someone on the wrong side.

Yes, must admit it jars seeing full backs playing on the wrong side.

Having said that, I seem to remember one game where it worked out quite well for Chimbonda! 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

What are Kipre's best attributes and worst attributes? Does he have pace?

Dont think him and Lenihan will lead to playing it out from the back so that might need a compromise.

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

He has everything.

Good at heading, good on the ball etc.

Kipre would be a great signing. The type of player who we have needed for years and would certainly have me feeling much more optimistic about the new season. Be great if we could get Williams out the door as well and even better if we could get a decent fee. I always thought he was a decent full back certainly better than Bell, but regardless of what Williams says he is not and never will be centre half.

If we can get Kipre through the door, I'd say that leaves us needing probably 4 more. Another centre back, a left back, a central midfielder and another attacking option. I do still worry about the right back position as well because Nyambe picks up far too many knocks for my liking.

Is it OK to start getting excited about our chances this season? 🤔🤔

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Quite alarming to me that bringing in essential defenders appears to be contingent upon getting shut of one of the three experienced players we have left who can play at CB.

I sure hope Mowbray knows what he is doing here because it could easily go very badly wrong.

Also quite disturbing that having slashed almost £100,000 a week off the wage bill since July and added only the keeper who won't be on more than £10,000 at most there isnt the scope in the budget to bring in reasonable signings without further outgoings.

A quick calculation for August - if we've saved £400,000 on wages by offloading Walton, Tosin, Smallwood, Downing, Graham and Samuel then we can see where the money has appeared to get the goalkeeper.

...no turnstile revenue for 6 months doesn’t help...& yes, we should have s/t & kits on sale but March & April had minuscule turnover

Wigan’s fire sale continues as training ground sold, a loss of £600k for them 

Surely Kipre can't be on that much money at Wigan. Feel like we'd be able to offer an improvement on his wages at least. Just hope no one else pops in for him. Aside from West Ham links a while ago I've not heard much else. Fingers crossed

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

So, who's the domestic CB we're after? ITK badge for what turns out to be the correct guess!

In all seriousness I was going to say Kipre, I was just a bit busy at the time I read this 😂 My suspicion was that the notion we couldn't afford him was a smokescreen to avoid other clubs getting alerted to us getting close to the right fee. Don't want the ITK badge anyway though, seen how people with it get treated when they have it (plus obviously I didn't know, just a guess)! Surprised the LT have broken it at this stage though if we are still a way on terms, plus let everyone know he doesn't cost 6 figures. They're usually on the side of keeping club secrets until they break elsewhere.

Would be a superb week if we end it with a Keeper and a Kipre, can’t believe Tony’s going to do it the absolute mad lad!

Just hope we’ve kept the Kipre deal quiet for long enough for it to be near the line as we’ll have wanted a good deal and others may be keen

Seen to recall he chipped in with a few goals as well didn’t he?

Can't say I know a great deal about Kipre but everyone on here is pretty happy with his potential signing.

He's a big ol' unit, so I'm guessing he's a decent in the air? Would be great for set pieces at both ends of the pitch, which we are poor at.

28 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

His best attribute is that he might sign for the Rovers. His worst is that at the moment he hasn't.