Stuart

Summer Transfer Window

Cedric Kipre is obviously after the move to a Prem club. Why he is letting them mess him about like that is beyond me. Money talks I guess. I'm going to bet that Baggies have doubled the wages he'd be on here.

It is a shame because he'd be a guaranteed starter here, probably the main man in defence, and the move to a Prem club would probably happen if he continued the form he shown at Wigan.

This is modern football though, and he is prepared to be messed about whilst they look for a 'better' alternative on the chance he can double his wage and if he has to sit on the bench to do that then fine.

West Brom are stringing him along a little but in turn he's doing the same to us.

If he does sign for us in the end and his first interview is full of him praising the club/players/manager/history etc. it will all be fairly hollow words really as he is only interested in coming here if he can't get a better move (which is fair enough)

Edited by davulsukur

You'd think West Brom could just draw £900K, plus modest wages, out of their back pocket, now that they're back in the Prem. One or two journalists also seem a bit bemused by it, because if West Brom really wanted Kipre, they would have sorted it out by now.

But then I noticed a few rumblings online from West Brom fans about how they're having a poor window so far compared to their promoted counterparts, and how they expect nothing less from their owner. I don't know too much about West Brom on that front, but it definitely appears to have stalled. The only thing I can possibly think of is it having been a Bank Holiday. Although that might be a poor excuse in this industry!

I guess the only thing that's clear is that our offer to Kipre doesn't blow him off his feet, particularly if he knows that there are better possibilities. As somebody said recently, it's the football food chain.

If Kipre is holding on for a Premier League move, and of course the much higher wage that goes with it, I totally understand that and would do the same if I was Kipre and dont feel like there is any scope for resentment, I also think that there would be a good chance that Kipre could have got plentt of first team football there.

Ultimately we will need to move on to other targets with the clock ticking. Mowbrays said that we are close to making a signing and I would be very dissapointed if it was just the Kipre deal and nothing else is close. We need more than one player and whilst it is a blow if the Kipre deal was lined up and has since broken down, we are also just as desperate for a left back and the plan was to sign 2 centre backs. Thats before we mention a sub keeper and an attacking player. If Mowbray and Waggott are putting in the late nights, we surely are down the road than more than just the Kipre deal.

10 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Cedric Kipre is obviously after the move to a Prem club. Why he is letting them mess him about like that is beyond me. Money talks I guess. I'm going to bet that Baggies have doubled the wages he'd be on here.

It is a shame because he'd be a guaranteed starter here, probably the main man in defence, and the move to a Prem club would probably happen if he continued the form he shown at Wigan.

This is modern football though, and he is prepared to be messed about whilst they look for a 'better' alternative on the chance he can double his wage and if he has to sit on the bench to do that then fine.

Don’t think money is the biggest factor. It’s a prem club. Simple.

No player would turn down the opportunity of playing in the PL to play in the championship. He’d get a decent shot at regular game time as well. It’s not like he’s signing up to be a 3rd choice keeper.

3 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

You'd think West Brom could just draw £900K, plus modest wages, out of their back pocket, now that they're back in the Prem. One or two journalists also seem a bit bemused by it, as if they really wanted Kipre, they would have sorted it out by now.

But then I noticed a few rumblings online from West Brom fans about how they're having a poor window so far compared to their promoted counterparts, and how they expect nothing less from their owner. I don't know too much about West Brom on that front, but it definitely appears to have stalled. The only thing I can possibly think of is it having been a Bank Holiday. Although that might be a poor excuse in this industry!

Leeds have been spending some serious cash so far:

Costa - £16m

Koch - £12m

Rodrigo - £27m

Fulham have singed a few players but nothing to that level by the looks. 

West Brom have signed Pereira for about £8m, who was on loan to them last season anyway.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

If Kipre is holding on for a Premier League move, and of course the much higher wage that goes with it, I totally understand that and would do the same if I was Kipre and dont feel like there is any scope for resentment, I also think that there would be a good chance that Kipre could have got plentt of first team football there.

Ultimately we will need to move on to other targets with the clock ticking. Mowbrays said that we are close to making a signing and I would be very dissapointed if it was just the Kipre deal and nothing else is close. We need more than one player and whilst it is a blow if the Kipre deal was lined up and has since broken down, we are also just as desperate for a left back and the plan was to sign 2 centre backs. Thats before we mention a sub keeper and an attacking player. If Mowbray and Waggott are putting in the late nights, we surely are down the road than more than just the Kipre deal.

I think Liam Lindsay is still very much on the table

Just now, JoeH said:

I think Liam Lindsay is still very much on the table

Where is this from?

Lindsay would be a far cry from Kipre and is not a player that I would be particularly excited about but at least I suppose that would involve not putting all of our eggs into one basket when we have numerous positions to sign.

1 minute ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Don’t think money is the biggest factor. It’s a prem club. Simple.

No player would turn down the opportunity of playing in the PL to play in the championship. He’d get a decent shot at regular game time as well. It’s not like he’s signing up to be a 3rd choice keeper.

With the prem comes money though.

I bet they would. I don't know whether Kipre has been offered regular first team football, but the rumour mill would have us believe Baggies have him on the hook and are waiting for alternatives. That would make you think they believe there's better out there, and if he does sign it is simply a case of them not finding anyone else. It all screams of being unwanted.

I can only speak from what little we hear on the outside though

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Ultimately we will need to move on to other targets with the clock ticking. Mowbrays said that we are close to making a signing and I would be very dissapointed if it was just the Kipre deal and nothing else is close.

I wouldn't. I think he'd be a very good signing for us, if we could get him. Would it be the first central defender we've signed permanently under Mowbray with a view to him being a first-team regular?

If he was talking about Connor McBride, however, then that would be disappointing. Hopefully things will unfold this week. It'd be nice to get a couple through the door this week so that they can at least have a week of training with the rest of the first-team squad before our trip to Bournemouth.

I am 100% in the boat of ‘we need to move on to other targets’ however I can’t help but think we won’t get better than Kipre in the market we are currently looking at.

Having seen him play on a number of occasions, he is a high quality championship centre back who is strong in the air, quick and importantly for us, good on the ball. I actually rate him higher than Lenihan. His age is also a massive plus, in a year or two he could easily be worth between 5-10 million. For me, at 900k he is an absolute bargain and would be a huge coup. For me that is the frustration, especially as it seems it’s a deal we have come close to (and might still do), but has just seemed to get away from us. 

I think all of us can understand why he may of have had his head turned by prem interest/wages so I don’t hold anything against him in that regard. It does feel like we still have a chance, even more so now that the West Brom deal has stalled. But as I’ve said, we shouldn’t wait on him, especially as the season fast approaches. Think it would actually be easier for the club if he just signed for them as then we would be in a position where we actually know where we stand. If he does end up joining I’ll genuinely be over the moon because it would be a great deal for the club, but think it’s time to move on. Interested to see what our alternatives are.

Just now, OnePhilT said:

I wouldn't. I think he'd be a very good signing for us, if we could get him. Would it be the first central defender we've signed permanently under Mowbray with a view to him being a first-team regular?

If he was talking about Connor McBride, however, then that would be disappointing. Hopefully things will unfold this week. It'd be nice to get a couple through the door this week so that they can at least have a week of training with the rest of the first-team squad before our trip to Bournemouth.

There is also the issue about the price. Stoke paid over 2m only a year ago so I doubt theyd accept a 6 figure fee so presumably it would be a loan.

Kipre had a really impressive season at Wigan and would come highly recommended. I remember last year when we were linked, the common consensus from the Barnsley fans was that it was Pinnock that would go on and excel in the Championship out of the 2 and so it has proven. Lindsay made quite a few errors and slipped down to 5th or 6th in the pecking order at Stoke and is slow so that may hinder any prospect of us pressing high in the same way that Mulgrew did. I cant say that I have seen enough of him to write him off and for under a million in England we are going to struggle to get someone of real quality so maybe Lindsay in a new environment at a more settled club would flourish.

If we had a deal lined up for Kipre and now he has gone elsewhere or is going elsewhere, of course thats a blow. But we shouldnt just be working on that deal. We supposedly want 2 CBs and a left back, yet there is no sign that we are actively working on other deals unless the club has been pulling a blinder in terms of hiding it from the press!

Its typical though. We signed Cunningham on the last day of the transfer window and of course the Adarabioyo deal took ages to conclude last season. We started the season with Mulgrew, Bell and Bennett in defence and already its about playing catch up. 

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

There is also the issue about the price. Stoke paid over 2m only a year ago so I doubt theyd accept a 6 figure fee so presumably it would be a loan.

Think we might have crossed wires here, as I'm not sure who you're referring to at Stoke... Lindsay? You were talking about being disappointed if it was only Kipre that we signed based on Mowbray's post-match comments on Saturday.

Just sign for us Kipre, at least you know you are wanted, we are just down the road so you do not have to move, are guaranteed to start every game and will get to taste some lemon drizzle cake. 

21 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Where is this from?

Not to become a target for abuse, but I was told by someone who I trust quite well that Lindsay is the second option, that Mowbray is upset with Kipre (Kipre's Agent anyway) over stalling and there's a high chance he moves onto his second best option soon.

Life doesn't always work out the way you want. If we have to move onto Lindsay then so be it. He performed well at Barnsley. Stoke is pretty toxic right now, or was, so his performances there don't worry me really. He will have a point to prove if he does come to Ewood.

8 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Think we might have crossed wires here, as I'm not sure who you're referring to at Stoke... Lindsay? You were talking about being disappointed if it was only Kipre that we signed based on Mowbray's post-match comments on Saturday.

I was unsure which of the 2 you meant but my point was just in general about Lindsay to be fair. Would be very much inferior to Kipre but that always would have been an excellent bit of business at the price quoted.

If I were Kipre I wouldn't be wanting to join West Brom. Sure the money will be much better and that is a factor, but the fact they haven't snapped him up, even as a squad player speaks volumes. It should tell him that he really isn't that wanted there and even if they don't get other targets then the lack of enthusiasm indicates they probably want someone else and will keep looking so his playing chances at West Brom don't look good at all. 

Of course modern players take the wages then get loaned out when they can't get games so it probably won't worry him too much. But this way round does stunt your career and have periods of inactivity and a lot less stability. It would be much better for his career to have a solid year or two with Rovers and then move on to bigger things. 

For our sake, Kipre needs to stop messing around and sign for either club. If it's West Brom, then fine we can all understand that, but just get on with it. If his agent is playing games, then Cedric should tell him to stop it. Terms have been offered by both clubs, now decide.

That’s a possible

Quote Tweet

BRFC

@BRFC62968491

· 3m

Replying to @reluctantnicko

Anything in naby sarr to Blackburn

Nixon hedging his bets again

I know they don't grow on trees but didn't Mowbray want a ball-playing centre half to complement Lenihan?

From the sounds of it, Lindsay is more of a blood-and-thunder type like Lenihan. Not afraid to get stuck in but prone to lapses in concentration. 

6 minutes ago, Amo said:

I know they don't grow on trees but didn't Mowbray want a ball-playing centre half to complement Lenihan?

From the sounds of it, Lindsay is more of a blood-and-thunder type like Lenihan. Not afraid to get stuck in but prone to lapses in concentration. 

Sarr would make sense with this in mind. From the Charlton manager a couple of weeks ago:

“I’m sad to see Naby go,” said Bowyer. “He is a lovely fella and very good in possession – he got us playing.”

“I’d have liked to have kept him but under this embargo we’ve go no chance. He’s had to move on.”

On Kipre it's quite simple. Give him 48 hours or withdraw the deal. We can't keep fannying about with the first game a matter of days away.