BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

34 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Which is interesting because Wharton looked far more composed than Lenihan in the Cup game.

Think Lenihan and Wharton could do a job, but knowing our luck they will probably get injured at same time, Defo need 2 C/bs, because we can’t rely on the young ones, get two In and let one  or two young ones go on loan.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

part of a defence that conceded 63 goals.

And I think it's time there was a general discussion about Darragh Lenihan. At centre-back you can get away with a lot because not everyone can see the mistakes you're making. Lenihan struggles big time with his in-the-box positioning.

1338112812_vsDoncasterlenihan.png.3eac00a378aa6959c013888153789ea0.png

Take this goal vs Reading. Lenihan completely out of position, Obita can run into the grand open space left by Nyambe who's attempting to cover the lack of an RCB, he can cross to the open lad who Lenihan should be with, or he can aim further for the two lads who've doubled up on Hayden Carter due to Lenihan's absence. Goal ensued.

520824105_vsDoncasterOne.png.29bf3f0be3720af21e13a4160e5ef726.png

Or here more recently against Doncaster where number 11 and number 9 just 14 seconds into the game were given all of this space in the box, Lenihan is so deep that they can all arrive into the box, Bell is busy marking 26 and it leaves two players completely unmarked. Against a Championship side we'd have been 1-0 down here.

40427891_vsDoncaster2.png.f151c6b53de34474bd433c8ba1282eb1.png

And this is a little more general, but an issue with our defence in general, including Lenihan, is a lack of urgency to get out when the ball is cleared. Bell plays a shit ball out to their man on the edge and the line meanders out towards the ball carrier. Leaves the shot, and three open players unmarked in the box for him to choose from. Goal ensues.

41 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Even if we accept Wharton is ready and good enough that still leaves 2 slots to fill. Assuming that Mulgrew and Williams are on their way. 

Oh absolutely - we need two CBs if Williams leaves. Mulgrew isn't even a factor for me - he's just a drain on resources.

I've said for a while: Lenihan, A.N. Other, Wharton and Williams is a pretty decent group of CBs for this level, if A.N. Other is quality. Let Carter go out on loan for the year. 

We desperately need a LB above anything else though. 

2 minutes ago, JoeH said:

And I think it's time there was a general discussion about Darragh Lenihan. At centre-back you can get away with a lot because not everyone can see the mistakes you're making. Lenihan struggles big time with his in-the-box positioning.

1338112812_vsDoncasterlenihan.png.3eac00a378aa6959c013888153789ea0.png

Take this goal vs Reading. Lenihan completely out of position, Obita can run into the grand open space left by Nyambe who's attempting to cover the lack of an RCB, he can cross to the open lad who Lenihan should be with, or he can aim further for the two lads who've doubled up on Hayden Carter due to Lenihan's absence. Goal ensued.

520824105_vsDoncasterOne.png.29bf3f0be3720af21e13a4160e5ef726.png

Or here more recently against Doncaster where number 11 and number 9 just 14 seconds into the game were given all of this space in the box, Lenihan is so deep that they can all arrive into the box, Bell is busy marking 26 and it leaves two players completely unmarked. Against a Championship side we'd have been 1-0 down here.

40427891_vsDoncaster2.png.f151c6b53de34474bd433c8ba1282eb1.png

And this is a little more general, but an issue with our defence in general, including Lenihan, is a lack of urgency to get out when the ball is cleared. Bell plays a shit ball out to their man on the edge and the line meanders out towards the ball carrier. Leaves the shot, and three open players unmarked in the box for him to choose from. Goal ensues.

He was all over the place on Saturday but he is so important to us because he has been our only defender under Mowbray who can lead the defence and head a ball. He missed 9 games last season in which we picked up 5 points and lost 6 games. He isnt perfect but he is so important to us.

We need more defenders who can actually defend. Kipre would be perfect but seemingly it wont be happening. Sarr is possibly the opposite of what we need.

• Like 5

I hope we've moved on from Kipre tbh. This is dragging on way too long and he clearly doesn't want to be here, so move on to the next target.

TM will be rubbing his hands together about having his excuses about why we still have no defenders 18 months after "Defenders are coming". If we end up with JRC-Lenihan-Wharton-Bell against Bournemouth questions really need to be asked about what on earth is happening behind the scenes.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, RTM08 said:

I hope we've moved on from Kipre tbh. This is dragging on way too long and he clearly doesn't want to be here, so move on to the next target.

TM will be rubbing his hands together about having his excuses about why we still have no defenders 18 months after "Defenders are coming". If we end up with JRC-Lenihan-Wharton-Bell against Bournemouth questions really need to be asked about what on earth is happening behind the scenes.

Not sure he will be rubbing his hands together, more blazing if he doesn’t get them in.

Personally think he will get his 2 centre backs and a left back,anymore a bonus.

13 minutes ago, RTM08 said:

Yep. We can mostly appreciate that we have a budget and getting good players isnt particularly easy and there's not a lot we can do if a Premier League club decides to come in for a player we are after. But there comes a stage where we have to wonder if there is a bigger issue with being too selective or slow in our processes.

End of the day 18 months on from Mowbray's defenders speech to have still not signed one suggests there is a problem

WBA must be skint to have so called talks with a player they signing from a even more of a club ..

clubs just have levels of payment .. go in they offer a level and you take it or leave it .

Probably end up back in the championship this time next year .... but with a bigger bank balance ... don’t blame him really .... 

I think we all know what positions we need to strengthen but I think we also need to get some leaders on the pitch. We are woefully lacking characters.

Danny Graham didn't play that often but he had a presence which I think encouraged others and certainly brought the best out of Dack. With him gone who's left? Travis is a battler but doesn't really have leadership qualities just yet.

Won't be a popular suggestion but I'd go for Sam Morsy if Wigan are offloading. May not fill one of our problem positions but just what we need in terms of character.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Crimpshrine said:

I think we all know what positions we need to strengthen but I think we also need to get some leaders on the pitch. We are woefully lacking characters.

Danny Graham didn't play that often but he had a presence which I think encouraged others and certainly brought the best out of Dack. With him gone who's left? Travis is a battler but doesn't really have leadership qualities just yet.

Won't be a popular suggestion but I'd go for Sam Morsy if Wigan are offloading. May not fill one of our problem positions but just what we need in terms of character.

I agree, we're desperately sort of aggression in the team.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

Suggested him a couple of weeks ago.  Would give us that bite and attitude that's lacking. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Is he the only likely looking left back in the whole of Western Europe ? Surely there must be other players out there ?  I suppose he could keep Dack company on the road back to full fitness. Nyambe is prone to muscle type injuries, Lenihan usually has a month out with a knock or a suspension. Williams rarely goes for too long without picking up some mystery injury. Then you have Evans and Holtby who if you're lucky might play 46 games between them. Up front Chapman is another one just coming back from a serious injury.

I'd rather sign a player that is 100%fit and ready for action when we sign him and make some space in the treatment room.

That's why I said 100% thought he was very good for us, compared to what we've had recently although that's not detracting from his performances