BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

21 minutes ago, Mercer said:

IMO, shambolic.

I could not operate under those terms - think Mowbray needs to show some b@lls and walk and sue for constructive dismissal. 

I can't see any grounds for constructive dismissal; it's the owners' money being spent so they do have the right to operate the way they do - but ultimately it's not in their own interests.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

As you point out it has been happening for window after window under Venkys regardless of who is at Ewood Park. It's the way the owners operate and it makes it tough for our management.

It's been happening for window after window since Waggott, Mowbray and Venus were the team responsible for bringing in players.

I don't recall feeling that, any other problems notwithstanding,  we ever seemingly found it so impossible to sign players before those jokers got on the case.

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It's been happening for window after window since Waggott, Mowbray and Venus were the team responsible for bringing in players.

I don't recall feeling that, any other problems notwithstanding,  we ever seemingly found it so impossible to sign players before those jokers got on the case.

I think Paul Lambert would say different. Before we had agents running amok and dumping players on the club that the manager had never heard of.

25 minutes ago, Mercer said:

IMO, shambolic.

I could not operate under those terms - think Mowbray needs to show some b@lls and walk and sue for constructive dismissal. 

So what's better, "you can have a transfer and wages budget of say £2m (which won't allow you to sign anyone decent) or you can (within reason) sign the players you want if you can make the case out they're that good and we need them badly enough."

I'd say the latter every time!

1 minute ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I think Paul Lambert would say different. Before we had agents running amok and dumping players on the club that the manager had never heard of.

Lambert was desperate to sell Rhodes, he nearly had a coronary when it looked like the deal was going to fall through and Rhodes hinted at coming back.

Any signings he made on the strength of the sale were entirely his own choice as were the two Elliott's when he joined, Ward and Bennett.

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

So what's better, "you can have a transfer and wages budget of say £2m (which won't allow you to sign anyone decent) or you can (within reason) sign the players you want if you can make the case out they're that good and we need them badly enough."

I'd say the latter every time!

The latter means convincing the football genius that is Mrs Desai of the case - just possibly she may not look on the proposal with judgement of sufficient calibre.

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Lambert was desperate to sell Rhodes, he nearly had a coronary when it looked like the deal was going to fall through and Rhodes hinted at coming back.

Any signings he made on the strength of the sale were entirely his own choice as were the two Elliott's when he joined, Ward and Bennett.

I think Lambert got frustrated in the extreme about the difficulties of dealing with Venkys and the tortured procedure in getting decisions made - just like Steve Gibson. Lambert's personality wasn't suited to being the manager under Venkys.

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

The latter means convincing the football genius that is Mrs Desai of the case - just possibly she may not look on the proposal with judgement of sufficient calibre.

Or maybe Mowbray isn't that desperate to bring in new players which will upset the existing group in the first place.

Just table a few offers which are never likely to be accepted so it looks like you're doing something. Job done for another window, then come out with a few hard luck tales about near misses after the window has shut.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Because most (every?) manager's they've approached has been unemployed. I doubt Coyle, Mogga, Lambert et al gave a shite as long as they were working. 

Except for the fact that Lambert wouldn’t put up with it and walked. Something people still hold against him. Can’t have it both ways.

Given what has happened when Mowbray has been given a sizeable budget I’m not at all surprised that he now has to get everyone checked out first. He can have no complaints if he has had his wings clipped. Not sure why either party puts up with each other depending on one’s perspective.

That said, very concerning that there are “owners agents” involved. Someone remind me what Waggott is doing for his money if he isn’t even involved in any budget discussions, he isn’t maintaining the ground, and he isn’t selling tickets?

1 minute ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I think Lambert got frustrated in the extreme about the difficulties of dealing with Venkys and the tortured procedure in getting decisions made - just like Steve Gibson. Lambert's personality wasn't suited to being the manager under Venkys.

All that assumes he ever had any intention of staying here more than a few months to get himself back into circulation and on the market which I'm not convinced was the case.

4 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Someone remind me what Waggott is doing for his money if he isn’t even involved in any budget discussions, he isn’t maintaining the ground, and he isn’t selling tickets?

Agree with this bit, Waggott should be responsible for all transfer negotiations and getting deals over the line. Never mind the first team coach wearing a different hat.

What else is there to do other than set season ticket prices? (Which apparently we can't manage either)

Edited by RevidgeBlue

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Or maybe Mowbray isn't that desperate to bring in new players which will upset the existing group in the first place.

Just table a few offers which are never likely to be accepted so it looks like you're doing something. Job done for another window, then come out with a few hard luck tales about near misses after the window has shut.

Think you’ve summed up the situation perfectly.

• Like 3

Pressure needs to be put on the owners by the town to invest in this squad and better questions need to be asked by the journos to find out what is being tried and where it's going wrong. There are fan expectations that need to be met or explained if they are not. The club is a mystery and we seem to have screwed up every transfer window since being owned by Venky's, cheap signings always seem overly complicated. Why? Maybe they have a good reason? Either way you can't run a successful football club this way and it's already become very tiresome. Eventually the better players will start looking for a move. People like this Sharpe need to be driving those expectations daily and turning up the heat.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

He brought some good bad and indifferent in including some of his pals etc as they all do these days.

The two best ones on paper one worked well and the other didn't but that was more down to the ex Wigan geezer himself i think. There was good word that he had a couple more nice ones lined up after being told to get who he wanted. Only for the door to swing shut after he'd got the first lot in hence his dummy coming out.

Whatever the feelings on Lambert it's clear to a certain degree he was sold something that was only half delivered.

16 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Mowbray managed to persuade her to spend 12m on BB and Gallagher so she can't be that hard to convince!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, savage90 said:

Pressure needs to be put on the owners by the town to invest in this squad and better questions need to be asked by the journos to find out what is being tried and where it's going wrong. There are fan expectations that need to be met or explained if they are not. The club is a mystery and we seem to have screwed up every transfer window since being owned by Venky's, cheap signings always seem overly complicated. Why? Maybe they have a good reason? Either way you can't run a successful football club this way and it's already become very tiresome. Eventually the better players will start looking for a move. People like this Sharpe need to be driving those expectations daily and turning up the heat.

That didn't work when Steve Kean was at the club so it's difficult to see what could be done now. I don't live anywhere near the town but realistically how much influence these days is a local journalist going to have ? I doubt if the Rao family have ever heard of Rich Sharpe.

13 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

All that assumes he ever had any intention of staying here more than a few months to get himself back into circulation and on the market which I'm not convinced was the case.

Will have to agree to disagreeing. He was clearly sceptical of Venkys and made sure they couldn’t shaft him. The failure to give him any of the Rhodes money was a big moment. I think that terminated the relationship and it was about getting to the end of the season.

Lambert had a better pedigree than any Venkys manager before and after - and he protected himself. Tells you something.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

I don't see why they don't just go in for Naby Sarr...

- Left-footed centre-back to fill the LCB role alongside Darragh  
- Good passing range and ability to help build attacks 
- 6ft 4" tall & can win a header 
- Available on a free with manageable wages 
- Championship experience and not too young or too old at 27 y/o 

Baffling me. He'd be the perfect fit for us.

The question would be whether he is a competent enough defender for us.

He regularly made errors at Charlton and was often not selected in favour of journeyman Jason Pearce.

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

That didn't work when Steve Kean was at the club so it's difficult to see what could be done now. I don't live anywhere near the town but realistically how much influence these days is a local journalist going to have ? I doubt if the Rao family have ever heard of Rich Sharpe.

I doubt they have heard of him but that's surely part of the problem, they are so completely detached from the club?