BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

3 minutes ago, martonrover said:

The purchases of Gallagher and Brereton show we have enough money to compete.

The distant owners would not be an issue if they installed a fully functioning, competent chief executive, (who in turn would appoint a suitable manager).

Mowbray has now instilled a toleration of mediocrity into the fanbase.

We are a club devoid of ambition.

That was then - we have little money now was my point.  The distant owners explains the rest of your points.  Please do read.

25 minutes ago, JoeH said:

How many people actually think we'd finish in the Top 6 even if we did sign back Tosin and Cunningham for CB and LB? I don't think we would. If we can finish 14th without spending a ton, or finish 8th whilst spending a ton, I know what I'd prefer...

I don't think it's nailed on but we would stand a much better chance.

I could just about stomach not signing a CB as we do have promising young players who can play there (Magloire, Wharton, Carter, Nyambe), as well as two pros one of whom is pretty good at this level (Lenihan). However any injuries to Lenihan would be catastrophic hence why we need more senior players.

Left back however is a clearly huge problem. Bell can have the odd good game, but is defensively very suspect, plus he gets injured frequently. If that happens then what? JRC at left back? Williams there? Rothwell (!!!) there.

Scratching around could Davenport do a job? But these are questions you shouldn't have to ask.

7 hours ago, Swanson said:

Not much to do on this nighwatch, so here is how and when we have bought players (summer windows) for the past 3 seasons :

17/18

Peter Whittingham 13.06.2017
Richard Smallwood 20.06.2017
Bradley Dack 27.06.2017
Ben Gladwin 28.06.2017
Dominic Samuel 19.07.2017
Paul Caddis 20.07.2017
Joe Nuttall 22.07.2017
Jayson Leutwiler 02.08.2017
Harry Chapman 04.08.2017 LOAN
Marcus Antonsson 11.08.2017 LOAN
Rekeem Harper 31.08.2017 LOAN
Sam Hart 31.08.2017
Paul Downing 31.08.2017 LOAN

First league game 05.08.2017
Deadline day 31.08.2017

18/19

Joe Rothwell 22.06.2018
Jacob Davenport 02.07.2018
Kasey Palmer 30.07.2018 LOAN
Adam Armstrong 06.08.2018
Jack Rodwell 23.08.2018
Harrison Reed 27.08.2018 LOAN
Ben Brereton 28.08.2018 LOAN
Brad Lyons 31.08.2018 LOAN (U23)
Mitchell Candlin 31.08.2018 LOAN (U23)

First league game 04.08.2018
Deadline day 31.08.2018

19/20

Stewart Downing 21.06.2019
Bradley Johnson 05.07.2019
Sam Gallagher 13.07.2019
Christian Walton 23.07.2019 LOAN
Tosin Adarabioyo 31.07.2019 LOAN
Greg Cunningham 08.08.2019 LOAN

First league game 03.08.2019
Deadline day 08.08.2019

Lewis Holtby 19.09.2019

20/21

Tyrhys Dolan 01.07.2020 (U23)
Thomas Kaminski 26.08.2020
Connor McBride 02.09.2020 (U23)

First league game 12.09.2020

Deadline day 05.10.2020 + Domestic transfers until 16.10.2020

Source : Wikipedia and Transfermarkt.

Good lord there are some shockers in there. Shows how far we have fallen since our heyday. 

Paul Caddis...I forgot we ever signed him. he was fatter than me. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, unsall said:

Yep ‘fraid so, I must be in the minority on here who thinks they had a genuine £900,000 bid for Kipre on the table but couldn’t give him £30,000 or so per week and premier league football. 

No-one's blaming Mowbray for missing out on this player except the Straw Man. Some think he knew we wouldn't get him from the start but I'm in no position to make that judgement and take it at face value.

Its the bids we haven't made that worry me as the opening day of the season looms ever closer. Same every transfer window.

59 minutes ago, JHRover said:

With that sort of attitude you will never get promoted.

Likewise you don't aim or target the top 6. You aim for the top 2 because 3rd might not be enough.

One of my biggest gripes with Mowbray is his meaningless 70 points target (which he missed). Not enough even for the top 6 so why bother? 

The likes of Warnock, Santo, Wilder, Bilic would never have done that 

Warnock keeps getting mentioned, so far signed 1 missed out on a couple, similar to us, but we get slaughtered. Boro are in a similar position to us, got rid of a few big earners and cannot just jump in and pay regardless these days.

Boro will sign a few more nearer the deadline as I think we will, shame the deadline is way past the start of the season, think we have to judge middle of October how we’ve done in the market.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

As it stands we are fighting a relegation battle from day 1!

Sometimes I read posts and I'm just so glad I don't have such a depressing outlay in my mind.

How on earth are we in a relegation battle from day one with a squad better than the one which finished 15th in 2018/19, in a league that's debatably easier than the one we faced in both 18/19 AND 19/20?

3 minutes ago, JoeH said:

How on earth are we in a relegation battle from day one with a squad better than the one which finished 15th in 2018/19, in a league that's debatably easier than the one we faced in both 18/19 AND 19/20?

Because we have a weaker squad than last year.

What happens when mid table sides get weaker?

• Like 2

Because we have regressed in the close season that is why!

Where is the central defender we crave?

Where is the midfield general we need?

Where is the width we need for a supply line?

Where is the back up keeper we need?

Where is the left back we need?

Where in the right back we need as an alternative to Nyambe?

Where do we see an old hand capable of guiding the youngsters through a game?

Finally, if you think we have progressed after the capitulation at the end of last season you are as misguided as Waggot!

• Like 4

Raya, Fisher, Leutwiler
Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Williams, Grayson, P. Downing, Hart, Rodwell, Bell
Bennett, Chapman, Conway, Dack, Evans, Gladwin, Reed, Rothwell, Smallwood, Travis
Graham, Armstrong, Samuel, Brereton, Nuttall

vs

Kaminski, Fisher, Eastham
Bennett, Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Williams, Bell, Magloire, Wharton, Carter
Johnson, Chapman, Dack, Evans, Travis, Rothwell, Dolan, Buckley, Davenport, JRC, Holtby
Armstrong, Gallagher, Brereton, Butterworth

Top squad finished 15th in the league. The bottom squad is supposedly doomed for relegation from day one? Give me a bleedin' break man!

Just now, JHRover said:

Because we have a weaker squad than last year.

What happens when mid table sides get weaker?

We don't have a weaker squad than 2018/19 though do we? We finished 15th that year but this year we're doomed for relegation with a squad easily as good if not better? Come on.

Just now, 1864roverite said:

Finally, if you think we have progressed after the capitulation at the end of last season you are as misguided as Waggot!

Answer the question, is the squad we have for 2020/21 weaker than our squad from 2018/19 by a whole 7 positions in the table? Because we all know the answer is no.

9 hours ago, unsall said:

You say we’ve no money, but blame Mowbray.

When we did have it, he wasted it on 2 strikers who can't, the wages of several players who were not intended to play and a team of midfielders but NOTHING on our main area of weakness---defence.

and yet lots of fans support him.They see something I don't.

6 minutes ago, JoeH said:

We don't have a weaker squad than 2018/19 though do we? We finished 15th that year but this year we're doomed for relegation with a squad easily as good if not better? Come on.

Who have we got now that we didn't have in 2018/19 that you think is so good that they make up for the multiple departures?

Fine margins in this League. Doesnt take much other than departures or injuries to drop. Middlesbrough plummeted from play offs to relegation zone in one summer by getting rid of experience and turning to youth.