BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, JHRover said:

Who have we got now that we didn't have in 2018/19 that you think is so good that they make up for the multiple departures?

Fine margins in this League. Doesnt take much other than departures or injuries to drop. Middlesbrough plummeted from play offs to relegation zone in one summer by getting rid of experience and turning to youth.

But you have players who have improved since the 18.19 season like Lenihan, Nyambe, Travis and Armstrong(now he is playing in his proper position), Brereton looks better, Holtby and Kaminski who we have signed since then. 

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Who have we got now that we didn't have in 2018/19 that you think is so good that they make up for the multiple departures?

The easier question to answer is what about our 2018/19 squad do we NOT have now to enable us to stay up? Harrison Reed? Kasey Palmer? David Raya? I think we'll be okay without those guys. We're definitely better off without Jayson Leutwiler, Ben Gladwin, Sam Hart, Dominic Samuel etc aren't we?

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

How many people actually think we'd finish in the Top 6 even if we did sign back Tosin and Cunningham for CB and LB? I don't think we would. If we can finish 14th without spending a ton, or finish 8th whilst spending a ton, I know what I'd prefer...

8th

Then it might be 5th the season after without having to spend a ton again. 15 million on 3 fwds and million pound loan & short contract signings gets us midtable. A bit of solid investment on top of that should get us in the top 5, one big sale gets a wad back, 1 season in the Prem covers the lot.

2 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

It wasn't, I think because he was under 24 and we'd developed him, or something like that. See the article I linked above. 

See this:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/28/bournemouth-sign-joshua-king-blackburn-rovers

That what I was going on. Anyway it was a balls-up and we should never have allowed him out of contract. We certainly didn't get what he was worth.

Just now, 47er said:

See this:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/28/bournemouth-sign-joshua-king-blackburn-rovers

That what I was going on. Anyway it was a balls-up and we should never have allowed him out of contract. We certainly didn't get what he was worth.

That article confirms what I said. It took a year to agree a fee after that was published! Fax machine again  Hopefully we are due a slice. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama

3 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Raya, Fisher, Leutwiler
Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Williams, Grayson, P. Downing, Hart, Rodwell, Bell
Bennett, Chapman, Conway, Dack, Evans, Gladwin, Reed, Rothwell, Smallwood, Travis
Graham, Armstrong, Samuel, Brereton, Nuttall

vs

Kaminski, Fisher, Eastham
Bennett, Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Williams, Bell, Magloire, Wharton, Carter
Johnson, Chapman, Dack, Evans, Travis, Rothwell, Dolan, Buckley, Davenport, JRC, Holtby
Armstrong, Gallagher, Brereton, Butterworth

Top squad finished 15th in the league. The bottom squad is supposedly doomed for relegation from day one? Give me a bleedin' break man!

Well this is interesting post. Of course there's the first season promotion bounce which helped the first year back but like for like is an interesting and helpful comparison. 

Firstly for the second squad makes me wonder how much we have wasted the time as the squad difference isn't that much at all. 

Keeper wise we are weaker no doubt about it. No second keeper and Kaminski is a risk compared to Raya who got very strong reviews from Brentford. 

Defence - torn on that one. Mulgrew was a bit younger and more useful, perhaps less of a liability and at least scoring some goals. A lot of the names are the same which is pretty depressing. More depressing and weakening us is that Bennett is now considered a full back and he is a liability. Roswell I didn't rate but was a body at CB we currently don't have. Not sure the defence is any better either. 

Midfield - yep that looks better. Travis has grown as a player, Holtby is a quality addition and there's a few exciting youngsters. That said Reed is a big miss from there, so it's not like we are streets ahead. 

Up front - maybe better? Hard to say. Armstrong has improved vastly but we are without Graham who back then was a reliable Championship striker. Put it this way I'd rather have Graham then than  Gally and Bereton now (and would be cinfident he would outscore them both.) And we had Armstrong on the books then too. Also it may be controversial but I actually thought Samuel was better than Bereton. If both came through the youth ranks I know who we'd be more optimistic about. 

So yeah we might be a bit better but it is marginal imo. And a criminal waste of 2 years. Don't forget that when we lost our newly promoted bounce the team went on a horrific run. And this team is not too dissimilar to that one. 

• Like 2

Just now, Blue blood said:

Well this is interesting post. Of course there's the first season promotion bounce which helped the first year back but like for like is an interesting and helpful comparison. 

Firstly for the second squad makes me wonder how much we have wasted the time as the squad difference isn't that much at all. 

Keeper wise we are weaker no doubt about it. No second keeper and Kaminski is a risk compared to Raya who got very strong reviews from Brentford. 

Defence - torn on that one. Mulgrew was a bit younger and more useful, perhaps less of a liability and at least scoring some goals. A lot of the names are the same which is pretty depressing. More depressing and weakening us is that Bennett is now considered a full back and he is a liability. Roswell I didn't rate but was a body at CB we currently don't have. Not sure the defence is any better either. 

Midfield - yep that looks better. Travis has grown as a player, Holtby is a quality addition and there's a few exciting youngsters. That said Reed is a big miss from there, so it's not like we are streets ahead. 

Up front - maybe better? Hard to say. Armstrong has improved vastly but we are without Graham who back then was a reliable Championship striker. Put it this way I'd rather have Graham then than  Gally and Bereton now (and would be cinfident he would outscore them both.) And we had Armstrong on the books then too. Also it may be controversial but I actually thought Samuel was better than Bereton. If both came through the youth ranks I know who we'd be more optimistic about. 

So yeah we might be a bit better but it is marginal imo. And a criminal waste of 2 years. Don't forget that when we lost our newly promoted bounce the team went on a horrific run. And this team is not too dissimilar to that one. 

Absolutely, calling it a waste is a fair comment, and I don't deny that. But comments which say we're in a relegation scrap from 'day one' are silly and unfounded when you compare the two squads. 

JRC, Travis, Nyambe, Lenihan, Holtby and Armstrong are all either better players than they were in 2018/19 or improvements to our squad from 2018/19.

3 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I'm sorry but: Kaminski, Nyambe, Lenihan, Williams, Bell, Travis, Johnson, Holtby, JRC, Armstrong, Brereton (**With Dack to return**)

Is not a relegation doomed side, and anyone saying it is, is being a "doom" merchant.

Kaminski we know nothing about yet. 

Nyambe doesn't play every week.

Williams we are trying to offload

Bell is a liability.

Holtby won't play more than half the season.

Brereton might look better but has a long way to go before being a good Championship player.

We will see what unfolds. I think a lot of people are living in a rose tinted universe.

• Like 4

Just now, JHRover said:

Kaminski we know nothing about yet. 

Nyambe doesn't play every week.

Williams we are trying to offload

Bell is a liability.

Holtby won't play more than half the season.

Brereton might look better but has a long way to go before being a good Championship player.

We will see what unfolds. I think a lot of people are living in a rose tinted universe.

what about the improvement of players like Lenihan, Travis and Armstrong? plus we achieved a higher league table finish without Dack for half of games?

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

Our 2020/21 squad is no weaker than our 2018/19 squad, a squad which finished 15th in a tougher league than the one we face this year.

"We're doomed to a relegation battle from day one" is absolutely the more extreme opinion than "I think we'll be alright"

1 hour ago, unsall said:

That might be a good theory to normal rational fans, but that won’t be many fans in reality.

I think giving youth a chance is great and would love to see Maglore, Carter, Buckley,JRC, Vale, Butterworth, Thompson etc get more game time but does anyone think that would actually happen or do we think/know instead the likes of Bennett and Williams would be picked ahead of them? And the experienced players being played out of position rather than actually giving youth a chance.

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

No one said that squad is doomed for relegation. Not for the first time you are arguing with yourself.

I said doomed for a relegation battle from day one. As this post says. So why don't you stop trying to be a smart-arse and take this little jibe back.

2045028068_ScreenShot2020-09-08at09_33_08.thumb.png.f807ed134a2ad240ad289e5314b74036.png

13 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I'm sorry but: Kaminski, an unknown risk Nyambe, more likely dropped for Bennett at every opportunity for misdemeanours like playing too much football Lenihan, when fit Williams relegation quality, when fit Bell, relegation quality Travis, agree Johnson, 50:50 either relegation quality or a good player half his games he is a liability Holtby when fir JRC, an unknow risk Armstrong, agree Brereton not even relegation quality. Would struggle in league 1(**With Dack to return**)

Is not a relegation doomed side, and anyone saying it is, is being a "doom" merchant.

Not a relegation doomed side by any shot but by my count 4 of the 11 are relegation worthy which is not good for a first 11 minus Dack. In fact that is worrying. 

Add in the level of risk from unknowns and fitness - I think Kaminski and JRC will come good but it is a risk - and it gets even more worrying. Relegation certs, no. But there is plenty of cause to worry. 

2 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I said doomed for a relegation battle from day one. As this post says. So why don't you stop trying to be a smart-arse and take this little jibe back.

2045028068_ScreenShot2020-09-08at09_33_08.thumb.png.f807ed134a2ad240ad289e5314b74036.png

You said doomed for relegation. In fact you said it twice 

32 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Top squad finished 15th in the league. The bottom squad is supposedly doomed for relegation from day one? Give me a bleedin' break man!

31 minutes ago, JoeH said:

but this year we're doomed for relegation with a squad easily as good if not better?

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 1

Just now, Blue blood said:

But there is plenty of cause to worry. 

Absolutely. It's worrying that we're having to compare our 2020/21 squad to the 2018/19 squad, and that two years later the line-ups aren't too dissimilar. But again, the "doomed for a relegation battle from day one" is a very silly comment.

4 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

You said

"You said this" "You said that"

Get involved in the discussion or don't, cool, but it's awfully childish the way you're being on this thread. I'd love to hear your opinion on our squad, or on our transfer business from 2018-now, but nobody wants to read message after message after message of you dissecting my posts, deciding whether or not what I've said is permissable. 

[If an admin or a mod ( @K-Hod or @J*B is it? ) could just remove all these unnecessary messages from the thread, yet again they're clogging it up, and nobody, including me, wants them to be here. Apologies.]