BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Didn’t know you went to Leyland, Mercer? You rarely even venture to Ewood, as far as I’m aware. ‘I was going to buy 17 tickets, but saw the team, so now I’m off to Majestic for a crate’ being the usual line.

How many times have you seen Butterworth?

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Exactly, Butterworth came on at Ewood for his debut and was the best player on the pitch - strong, quick and glided past people for fun. That was enough for me, and the old friend of your dads?

Think you have to take the opposition into account. Even Brereton scored against them!

But yes, I'd certainly like to see more of him.

14 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The thing is, you keep speaking as if Mowbray's usage of players in wide areas has been successful and shouldnt be contested. Brereton, Samuel and Gallagher especially are repeatedly played there and it doesnt work. Rothwell sometimes plays there and achieves diddly squat. Holtby and Buckley are sometimes played there and stunted because it isnt natural for them. I want players that are actually comfortable there, heaven forbid. As @ewoodace says how do you know that we want our full backs to provide the width anyway as they havent to date.

We need our defenders to bloody defend first and foremost. Nyambe albeit not perfectly is one of only 2 players we have back there who can do this. I am sure the defence will be neglected again and we will concede too many goals if Mowbray stays in charge. Especially if we start converting wingers (who from the sound of it has played as a wing back, not a full back, with the kids) into a back 4 and drop an actual competent albeit imperfect full back in Nyambe.

I cant say I am counting down the days until the new season no, with limited attendances, probably a key player or 2 sold, little money and in my opinion becoming stagnant on the pitch, I'm not. I am sure I will go but thats not the point. You bring it up when it is not relevant and you have nothing constructive to say when people doubt our current direction under the manager, its a case of, I dont have an answer to this, I'd better reiterate how excited I am to go again.

As I say, you can make your excuses for them or you can believe that everything is completely in hand, plans are being made, we are making bids, we have players coming in for meetings, Venkys are regularly in touch and keenly interested, and that theyve grasped online calls, thats your decision. Based on Mowbrays quotes last night and more pertinently the history of Venkys, I think deluded wouldnt be a strong word for such beliefs. 

Dont worry Tony has a plan he is going to convert the Skipper Bennett to a centre back! Sorted! ?‍♂️?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Didn’t know you went to Leyland, Mercer? You rarely even venture to Ewood, as far as I’m aware. ‘I was going to buy 17 tickets, but saw the team, so now I’m off to Majestic for a crate’ being the usual line.

How many times have you seen Butterworth?

Always taken an interest in those teams below 1st team level whether matches played at Brockhall, Leigh, Leyland or even Ewood.  My then young kids used to love going down to Brockhall to watch the Academy stuff and I remember one of my lads being particularly taken by Ben Burgess (a beast of a young striker then) who came over and did autographs etc.

Couldn't tell you how many times I've seen Butterworth but first saw him in our U18's not too long after he'd joined us from United.  Agree, injuries haven't helped but the lad's almost 21 now and in my book, he should have broken through that first team door by now if he was going to become a 'big player' for us.

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

That would be more ludicrous than the original HC.

Cant be.........have I not read Chaddy suggesting it earlier in the thread.

I genuinely dont know as Ive still to see Carter........or much of the lesser seen Chapman play to give a realistic view.

8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Or Nyambe....I am keen to see a bit of winger ..

Chapmsn needs to start a game or two

This is it with Chapman he needs a chance to at least prove himself at first team level otherwise it's another complete waste. Everyone else gets a fair crack of the whip whether they frequently under perform or not.

Give him a go and see if it grasps it and if not boot the little fecker out on loan until his contracts up then say ta ta.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I would have to disagree. The own goal he has to take some blame for and there were numerous times when he either cheaply gave the ball away or especially on the turn looked all over the place, a few times especially in the second half. Just looked a bag of nerves throughout. 6 goals in 2 games doesnt reflect well either.

I personally think that there is understandably an element of reluctance to criticise him because hes a kid from the academy but I dont think he is anywhere near ready. 

He made some fantastic recoveries from his mistakes. 

His last ditch challenges were fantastic. Think you are being slightly harsh on him.

Out of those 6 goals I reckon Walton was guilty for 4 of them.

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

This is it with Chapman he needs a chance to at least prove himself at first team level otherwise it's another complete waste. Everyone else gets a fair crack of the whip whether they frequently under perform or not.

Give him a go and see if it grasps it and if not boot the little fecker out on loan until his contracts up then say ta ta.  

Been saying this for ages.

IMO, it's as though Mowbray doesn't want the lad to succeed and is even denying him the chance to.

I just think there is an amazing talent in there and with good man management, we would have a real player, a real creative force, on our hands.

• Like 5

Chapman has been around the squad for some time now and Mowbray always mentions his work rate, with Lb being a problem im surprised he hasn't tried converting him to a fullback, Manager cant have much faith in him if a Natural left footed player is getting overlooked by Bennett in left sided positions, Personally I don't think Chapman makes the grade under Mowbray

Edited by Jlee1984

5 minutes ago, Jlee1984 said:

Chapman has been around the squad for some time now and Mowbray always mentions his work rate, with Lb being a problem im surprised he hasn't tried converting him to a fullback, Manager cant have much faith in him if a Natural left footed player is getting overlooked by Bennett in left sided positions, Personally I don't think Chapman makes the grade

I like seeing Chapman getting into the box - he frightens defenders with his trickery and he doesn't need too much space to work in, seen him put defenders on their arse and we haven't too many capable of that!  Needs to be let off the leash, given a licence to thrill and win football matches for us - he has the talent and capability.

Mowbray needs to realise not one size fits all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Not that he’s pulled up any trees but I wouldn’t be too confident of Holtby being here next season either. Judging by his Instagram, his missus lives in Germany and he’s delighted to be back there following the end of the season. Seems a bit Bradley Johnson to me - one foot in, hotel job, not overly committed.

Good riddance.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I would have to disagree. The own goal he has to take some blame for and there were numerous times when he either cheaply gave the ball away or especially on the turn looked all over the place, a few times especially in the second half. Just looked a bag of nerves throughout. 6 goals in 2 games doesnt reflect well either.

I personally think that there is understandably an element of reluctance to criticise him because hes a kid from the academy but I dont think he is anywhere near ready. 

He gave the ball away cheaply because he's been instructed to play it out from the back.

That doesn't work when you've got Johnson hiding from the ball. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Been saying this for ages.

IMO, it's as though Mowbray doesn't want the lad to succeed and is even denying him the chance to.

I just think there is an amazing talent in there and with good man management, we would have a real player, a real creative force, on our hands.

Ya that would make sense except for the fact Mowbray first signed him on loan and then permanently. How you explain that bit to correlate with your theory? It doesn't really add up. 

I bet if you asked the other players, they would also point to his attitude.

I agree he is a talent, but that's half his problem. He doesn't think he has to do the hard work. 

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Carter is not 'only a boy' - he is 21 years of age this year.

As I have said before, ability is relative to the level you play at.  IMO, if Carter was going to be a player for us at Championship level, at his age, he should already have broken through or shown much more composure and dominance in his two games for us.  Sadly, I think he is another Academy product who will just drift into obscurity or earn a crust at Division 2 or, at best, Division 1 level.  You watch these lads at levels below first team and and I think it's pretty obvious who has got something about them and has a chance to become a real player for us and who hasn't.

IMO, Jack Vale looks like he could be the real thing but others like Butterworth, Davenport, Fisher, Grayson, Magloire, Mols, Wharton etc you can forget.

Agree on almost every detail of this besides Butterworth. You’re wrong about Dan Butterworth. He will be as good as Trav, as good as JRC can be and as good as the club think Buckley can be.

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

I hope you are right but he hasn't shown me anywhere near enough for me to think he might be a 'real player' for us.  I compare him to Vale and I think Vale is head and shoulders above Butterworth.

How many times do you need to see a player?  An old friend of my dad's was a scout for a Division 1 (now PL) club, scouting senior players and he reckoned he knew within 45 minutes if a player had anything about him or he was wasting his time and the player could be crossed off his list - it was fascinating to hear his observations, particularly if I was watching football with him. 

What?! Vale is nothing like head and shoulders above Butterworth ? Do you watch the Under 23’s? One is the youth team captain, playing across multiple seasons in multiple positions, scoring goals and creating things.

The other is a promising younger talent who’s scored less goals, created less chances and isn’t a leader on the pitch. 

There’s just zero evidence for the claim that Vale is ahead of Butterworth. None whatsoever. 

5 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Yes. Not the player I hoped for. A payday Jonny.

The not actually moving nearby part is always a major red flag and shouldn't be allowed in my opinion. If you're not fully in, piss off. Downing moved down and compare and contrast those 2. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I like seeing Chapman getting into the box - he frightens defenders with his trickery and he doesn't need too much space to work in, seen him put defenders on their arse and we haven't too many capable of that!  Needs to be let off the leash, given a licence to thrill and win football matches for us - he has the talent and capability.

Mowbray needs to realise not one size fits all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm all for wingers, chapman put one cross in and end result target man gets a goal, would we have seen more of him if we had a stable Lb all season,