BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

53 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Blah blah blah bleet...whatever! You’re drifting from whinge to whinge. For what it’s worth I absolutely would NOT have given Mulgrew a 2.5yr contract and I believe that it was done as a ‘reward’ from TM and one last pay day...but that’s not what we’re discussing here. We’re discussing whether it’s right or not today (08/09/20) to try to save £120k by getting rid of a player who is no longer good enough to play in our team. It’s a no brainer and you arguing against it is just weird.

Dont tell me I’m talking rubbish because the point is as clear as day. Get rid and save as much cash as possible.

I’m not callous enough to believe that £120k is not a lot of money when people / fans are losing their jobs, season ticket holders asked to leave their money in last season and accept a price increase whilst the country approaches its highest levels of unemployment in modern history.

Agreed. £120k can’t be sniffed at, especially in these times and presumably for the club.

Ive previously written about tightening the squad a little (2-3 players), using the academy players to cover, with the savings used to cut the admission price back towards £20 to try and get fans back.  (It looks like that is happening, though the savings being used toward the (presumed) loss in income due to COVID.)

8 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

Absolutely, this talk of Brereton costing 7m makes it sound as if it was all paid up front. I doubt we paid more than 3m for him with the rest in instalments, appearances et 

NOBODY believes we paid £7M up front. Haven't done that since the early 90's and Jack. 

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Blah blah blah bleet...whatever! You’re drifting from whinge to whinge. For what it’s worth I absolutely would NOT have given Mulgrew a 2.5yr contract and I believe that it was done as a ‘reward’ from TM and one last pay day...but that’s not what we’re discussing here. We’re discussing whether it’s right or not today (08/09/20) to try to save £120k by getting rid of a player who is no longer good enough to play in our team. It’s a no brainer and you arguing against it is just weird.

Dont tell me I’m talking rubbish because the point is as clear as day. Get rid and save as much cash as possible.

I’m not callous enough to believe that £120k is not a lot of money when people / fans are losing their jobs, season ticket holders asked to leave their money in last season and accept a price increase whilst the country approaches its highest levels of unemployment in modern history.

You're still talking nonsense in an attempt to make it sound like possibly recouping £120k on a player we'll end up shelling out the thick end of £2m for over 2 seasons not to play for us is some kind of result or clever management.

No-one ever suggested £120k was not a lot of money in the real world, that wasn't even part of the discussion. On balance I'd send Mulgrew out on loan as well but I don't think the relatively small saving (in footballing terms) is that much of an advantage as opposed to having him available if needed.

I think you're just as usual taking Mowbray's side and agreeing with him whatever he decides to do. Taken as a whole the Mulgrew saga has been a disaster for the Club irrespective of whether he goes out on loan to Fleetwood.

I also have little doubt that if tomorrow TM brought in a CB or LB the same age as Mulgrew cheap cover on a one year deal on 2.5 k p.w. , you'd be hailing it as a masterstroke!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Wish I had a pound for every time Chaddy has said 'Clearly' in recent months.

Yes! Like politicians who say "let me be clear..." and then go on to weave a statement which is unfathomable.

Edited by 47er
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Beanie01289 said:

You should really have asked him that before he signed the contract which he did so it does not really matter what you think he stands to gain or lose from said contract.

I bet they wished the last year of mulgrews contract had been optional but alas it was not so we pay him for a year much like we can extend the contract of dack we cant just cancel Charlie's it's all part of the deals you sign.

I'm happy to believe what everyone says about the contract, I just fail to see how it would be enforceable in practice if he decided he wanted to leave. 

1 hour ago, 47er said:

NOBODY believes we paid £7M up front. Haven't done that since the early 90's and Jack. 

Hardly any headline fees are payable up front these days, they're all spread over the life of the contract. The only exception might be if a particularly rich Club paid all or most of a  fee up front to keep a top player out of the clutches of rivals.

It's therefore no excuse to a duff transfer to say that the full fee doesn't have to be paid in year one, after allowing for any unmet add ons, it all has to be paid eventually!

• Like 1

Can someone ask Mowbray why are we possibly going to start our season with 3 of the 4 man defence from the league 1 opener three years ago against Southend? Defence was crap then and still is now. What do Tony and Steve do on these late nights at Brockhall when they’re trying to recruit? It’s an absolute joke. A shambles. They couldn’t run a bath. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Bohinen 22 said:

Can someone ask Mowbray why are we possibly going to start our season with 3 of the 4 man defence from the league 1 opener three years ago against Southend? Defence was crap then and still is now. What do Tony and Steve do on these late nights at Brockhall when they’re trying to recruit? It’s an absolute joke. A shambles. They couldn’t run a bath. 

So you want us to get rid of Lenihan and Nyambe?

"We tried for many defenders in the window but we had free agents asking for 70k a week, something we cannot compete with in this climate. Obviously, we made a move for Kipre but again, the lure of more money and PL football was too strong for him. We had a couple of foreign lads that showed interest right until the final moments and that was disappointing too. However, we go again in January and we are sure that we have the personal at the back that is good enough to propel us towards the top 6 and with a crop of youngsters coming through to back them up."

My guess as to what TM says at the end of the window.

• Like 7

When players run down their contracts it’s with complete belief that their transfer valuation ends up amortised as their wage - or a huge signing on fee. Trouble is Mowbray’s idea of a free transfer is no fee and a wage within our structure.

We can’t have it both ways and it means you miss out on anyone with any other suitors and end up with the desperate players and only at the very end of the window when all other offers have disappeared. You might get lucky but you need a brilliant coaching staff to get the best out of them.

• Like 2

Why are we wasting time and resources on players who don't end up signing. Surely we know their wage demands in advance? Who knows what goes on behind the scenes or why Ayala has chosen to go elsewhere, but we have to be realistic. If we want top players who are likely to move us towards being playoff challengers then you have to pay the premium. Ayala would be a perfect fit. Good age for a defender, loads of experience and quality and a good role model for the young defenders coming through. If he stays fit its the difference between mid table mediocrity (or worse) and challenging for promotion. Surely that's worth pushing the boat out?! This is a mess. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

You're still talking nonsense in an attempt to make it sound like possibly recouping £120k on a player we'll end up shelling out the thick end of £2m for over 2 seasons not to play for us is some kind of result or clever management.

No-one ever suggested £120k was not a lot of money in the real world, that wasn't even part of the discussion. On balance I'd send Mulgrew out on loan as well but I don't think the relatively small saving (in footballing terms) is that much of an advantage as opposed to having him available if needed.

I think you're just as usual taking Mowbray's side and agreeing with him whatever he decides to do. Taken as a whole the Mulgrew saga has been a disaster for the Club irrespective of whether he goes out on loan to Fleetwood.

I also have little doubt that if tomorrow TM brought in a CB or LB the same age as Mulgrew cheap cover on a one year deal on 2.5 k p.w. , you'd be hailing it as a masterstroke!

My stance on any of this never changes.

I’ve said categorically that the managers decision to give Mulgrew a 2,5year deal was wrong imo. But whatever is done is done and we’re discussing the merits of saving £120k against not saving it on a background of fans losing their jobs etc. There’s absolutely no discussion to be had in reality. Leave your Venkys baggage to one side and tell me that we don’t need to try and save £120k in the current financial climate?

Every signing is taken on merit. E.g. Could I see their reasoning for signing BB? Yes. He’s young, English and highly rated. Has it worked out and therefore been a success, No. Can he still pull it around and be a success? Yes, but he needs to play.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stuart said:

When players run down their contracts it’s with complete belief that their transfer valuation ends up amortised as their wage - or a huge signing on fee. Trouble is Mowbray’s idea of a free transfer is no fee and a wage within our structure.

We can’t have it both ways and it means you miss out on anyone with any other suitors and end up with the desperate players and only at the very end of the window when all other offers have disappeared. You might get lucky but you need a brilliant coaching staff to get the best out of them.

Good post, but if you have a wage structure then how do you propose navigating this market? Target lesser players? Continue to chance your arm with the better players? 

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Good post, but if you have a wage structure then how do you propose navigating this market? Target lesser players? Continue to chance your arm with the better players? 

You can’t navigate this market in the way we are trying to. Unless you accept we are getting desperados and can get the best out of them. In which case you need to upgrade your coaching staff.

Or you have to pay a good portion of what would have been the transfer fee as a signing on fee. If you want a player in demand but want to keep your wage structure.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

My stance on any of this never changes.

I’ve said categorically that the managers decision to give Mulgrew a 2,5year deal was wrong imo. But whatever is done is done and we’re discussing the merits of saving £120k against not saving it on a background of fans losing their jobs etc. There’s absolutely no discussion to be had in reality. Leave your Venkys baggage to one side and tell me that we don’t need to try and save £120k in the current financial climate?

Every signing is taken on merit. E.g. Could I see their reasoning for signing BB? Yes. He’s young, English and highly rated. Has it worked out and therefore been a success, No. Can he still pull it around and be a success? Yes, but he needs to play.

My question is this: Mulgrew is on our books. Yes he had fallen out with the manager but:

should he atleast be featuring on the bench?

is he better than current players in our back 4?

if he does not leave this season has Tony taken lessons from Zidane and is he determined to carry on having Mulgrew perform a Gareth Bale role at the club ? Rovers the new Real Madrid 

**Maybe Tony could roll him out as a new signing 

Edited by markhayhurst