Stuart

Summer Transfer Window

58 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

And we still have a budget tho dont we or are you still using a quote from 7 weeks ago? 

Who knows

Just now, LeftWinger said:

Andre Ayew cost £18m on his own, so yes they could.

Ah yes apologise, I forgot he left and went back. Because they got him on a free transfer originally. Although I suspect he may well leave this summer, he must be on very big wages.

Just now, Miker said:

Is it actually confirmed how much Brereton cost in the end? Articles at the time stated "up to 7m", but our accounts show 5.2m was spent on transfers that season, which would have included Armstrong, Brereton, Rothwell, Davenport and Chapman. 

Very few transfer are paid all up front straight away. Most transfer are fees are spread across a period of time.

12 hours ago, J*B said:

My approach as chairman would be quite simple - I would ask Mowbray if he was confident we would finish in the top 6 with the footballing budget allocated.

My approach as chairman would be to tell Mowbray he MUST finish in the top 6 with the footballing budget allocated. Otherwise he's on easy street

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

No, not mentioned by Tony. I think he's happy with what he's got, sadly

Oh my god .Then why agree a fee for a centre half in Kipre?

Also find it hard to believe that Mowbray sat down and discussed his transfer plans with a player we haven't even agreed a fee for.

How can he be happy with what he has at centre half when we don't have Tosin anymore who started every week and is looking to move Mulgrew on and is open to letting Williams leave.

Sorry but no way on earth is he not looking for a centre back

23 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Sorry but no way on earth is he not looking for a centre back

Aye, he's been looking at them for 3 years. I want 2 CBs but i ain't holding my breath

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I prefer the Levitt guy that plays a little deeper, has a bit more grit about him. Garner looks a lot like Rothwell.

57 minutes ago, Miker said:

Is it actually confirmed how much Brereton cost in the end? Articles at the time stated "up to 7m", but our accounts show 5.2m was spent on transfers that season, which would have included Armstrong, Brereton, Rothwell, Davenport and Chapman. 

People still hang onto the £7m figure whereas the reality is it is nowhere near that amount

Loan, young, inexperienced, cheap. Can see that one happening.

9 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

People still hang onto the £7m figure whereas the reality is it is nowhere near that amount

It could be £1 Million and he would still look a waste of money.

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

For what it's worth Nixon reporting that Mulgrew to Fleetwood is close

It's the right move for everybody. Such a shame that it's ended this way, but I suspect both Charlie and the club know that no club would realistically pay a transfer fee for him and offer anything close to the supposed £16k per week that he's currently on. All Rovers can do is cut their losses and at least try to cut down on that weekly outlay.

28 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

How much then?

Thought we’d made a down payment of £5/5.2 million with more instalments to come?

Even if it was just the £5million-ish with the rest incentive based, that’s not ‘nowhere near’ and still a hell of a poor deal.

Edited by Mattyblue

14 minutes ago, islander200 said:

For what it's worth Nixon reporting that Mulgrew to Fleetwood is close

He also seems to suggest that if we don't get Mulgrew out on a "sponsored" loan, we'll end up paying him off. Quick calculation tells me that if Mulgrew doesn't go out on loan by the end of this window, it'll cost Rovers £600K to pay him off, although I imagine there'd be some sort of negotiating on that?

Sponsor
1 hour ago, blue_n_white99 said:

Transfers are rarely paid in one lump sum, they tend to be instalments

Absolutely, this talk of Brereton costing 7m makes it sound as if it was all paid up front. I doubt we paid more than 3m for him with the rest in instalments, appearances et 

4 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

No.

All indications point to us not having enough money to attract the players that we want. It sounds as though even players like Phillips and Whiteman are out of our league which, strangely, they actually are - a league below us! That says everything.

I'm not massively disheartened, mind. It's a strange time we're in at the moment, and Coronavirus seems to have brought financial cautiousness for past spending to the fore. I've been pleasantly surprised by our younger players. Not sure we'll be serious promotion contenders at this rate, but possibly another like-for-like season.

I dont mind us going with youth this season but do you have faith that Tony will do that? 

I can see Bennett and Williams playing more often and other players playing out of position.

5 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

Lancashire Telegraph echoing the story.

Rovers offered chance to sign Man United midfielder on loan

This is a loan deal I would be against.United would want him playing, I doubt very much he would be available to buy at the end of the deal as is rated at United and we have enough young midfielders ourselves in Buckley, Davenport, Travis etc.

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

This is a loan deal I would be against.United would want him playing, I doubt very much he would be available to buy at the end of the deal as is rated at United and we have enough young midfielders ourselves in Buckley, Davenport, Travis etc.

It's a long season. I'd love to bring this lad in and ship out Johnson - that'd be a huge improvement.

7 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

It's a long season. I'd love to bring this lad in and ship out Johnson - that'd be a huge improvement.

The problem there being shipping out Johnson.

Think it's unfair to write-off Garner with terms like "inexperience". He's made more Premier League appearances than Tosin has, and has played in a few Europa League games. At the very least, he'd at least keep Johnson on his toes, whom I think gets distracted easily (thinking of the Derby incident last season). If signing a better defensive midfielder helps us out this coming season, then it's a start. We just need a bloody defender or two to go with it!

5 hours ago, JoeH said:

The easier question to answer is what about our 2018/19 squad do we NOT have now to enable us to stay up? Harrison Reed? Kasey Palmer? David Raya? I think we'll be okay without those guys. We're definitely better off without Jayson Leutwiler, Ben Gladwin, Sam Hart, Dominic Samuel etc aren't we?

Kasey Palmer was useless !!

Villa close to signing Watkins, good player but 28 million for someone who has never played higher than the championship.Silly money and everything that is wrong with the game.

Wonder if this signing will put an end to their interest in Josh King.