BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

• Moderation Lead
24 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

You sure? Judging by some of the comments on here I would beg to differ.

Doesnt the 12m fee quoted for 2 strikers keep being brought up when we probably haven’t spent half of that on Brereton and Gallagher

Either way, those fees are a large part of the reason our pockets are considerably more shallow than they could be....

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead
34 minutes ago, Tom said:

This line from the Telegraph article shows how shambolic our recruitment has become 

That leaves Rovers still in the market for two new central defenders, but they face starting the season without any new signings at the back for the third successive year.

To be fair mate, we need to wait until the end of the transfer window to judge. 
Even if those inferior defenders we hope to replace cost us goals and ultimately points....

(Before anyone it triggered, I know that we need to stop faffing about and get on with it).

• Like 3

Google, knowing that I'm a Rovers fan usually directs me to Rich Sharp's articles every day. Today's headline appears to be, "Rovers set to miss out on target as transfer search continues."

It provoked two thoughts:

1] What a surprise? ; and

2] Are they really searching?

I'm sorry; I'm getting so disillusioned with what's going on - or more likely isn't - that I'm ignoring all future hints from google until it's to an article by R.S. reporting that we've actually signed new players. Mowbray must think we're all so-o-o gullible; well, not me any more.

• Backroom

The stupid thing is, if we'd signed Lindsay and loaned Nat Phillips before the Kipre link, we'd likely be pretty happy by now.

Now, they'd feel like letdowns having missed out on Ayala and Kipre.

At the moment, however, I see no reason we couldn't sign Brad Smith and Liam Lindsay, and loan Phillips. So it's making me wonder if we actually have anymore money. Did we blow our whole budget on Kaminski? Were we relying on sell-ons for Raya and King?

• Like 1

When the goons from Pune rocked up they were (quite rightly) mocked for suggesting they might spend as much as £5 million per year on transfers in support of their new venture (I seem to remember the shockingly vacuous absent old cow saying this publicly). Given we are now close on £200 million in the *hitter just in terms of keeping the boat afloat, I wonder whether Tony 'Defenders are a Luxury item' Mowbray might have anything stashed under the mattress to splurge on another weird signing this time? 

giphy.gif

50 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

@JHRover has often put his thoughts across about Venky's not willing to put their hands in their pockets for defenders and when you see lines like that it's difficult to disagree with him.

That's assuming the Chicken Chokers have learnt enough in the last ten years to know the difference between attackers and defenders. I can't see any evidence of that. 

3 hours ago, Gamst said:

Mowbray said they 'had an agreement in place' which suggests they were close to agreeing terms. If ever there was a player to break the wage structure for (a little bit - they shouldn't bother wasting time if its completely unrealistic) then its Ayala as we desperately need an experienced centre back to give us any hope of promotion and that's going to cost money. 

By the sounds of it it was completely unrealistic though...like double our current structure.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The thing is, Kipre or Ayala would have been very good signings, but ultimately, whether they were realistic enough, affordable enough, whatever, Mowbray and the club couldnt get those deals done. 

The thing that it doesnt excuse is the lack of recruitment in defence full stop. Even if we had been focusing on getting that main CB in and had failed, that only accounts for one missing defender. We equally need a left back, yet he has seemingly put that on hold for the time being and we now go into a season with Bell at left back which is crazy. Also, we want 2 centre backs, presumably one will be for competition purposes. Why hasnt the secondary centre back come in either?

It seems that we are working on one deal at a time and that compounds our failure to get these deals over the line. Its an absolute mess.

Yep. I’m actually amazed we got the Kaminiski deal over the line - especially with him coming from overseas. Can only assume the competition was little to none (not knocking him before he’s kicked a ball for us btw).

• Like 3

Yes you read the Telegraph and the impression seems to be that we work on one deal at a time and only move onto other areas or targets either once a player is in the building or has gone elsewhere 

Other clubs seem to get several deals done quickly. That just doesn't happen here.

I'd like to know who is on this 'transfer team'. Given Venus seems to be both assistant manager and director of football and I struggle to see how one man can balance those big responsibilities at this time of the year.

Surely we need a dedicated individual independent of the manager to lead this leaving Mowbray and Venus to coach (their job).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Yes you read the Telegraph and the impression seems to be that we work on one deal at a time and only move onto other areas or targets either once a player is in the building or has gone elsewhere 

Other clubs seem to get several deals done quickly. That just doesn't happen here.

I'd like to know who is on this 'transfer team'. Given Venus seems to be both assistant manager and director of football and I struggle to see how one man can balance those big responsibilities at this time of the year.

Surely we need a dedicated individual independent of the manager to lead this leaving Mowbray and Venus to coach (their job).

You're in Venky's world here remember.

Why pay 2 people to do 2 jobs, when you can save money/do things half assed and get one person to do 2 roles?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Yep. I’m actually amazed we got the Kaminiski deal over the line - especially with him coming from overseas. Can only assume the competition was little to none (not knocking him before he’s kicked a ball for us btw).

Low wages probably which meant our offer was very attractive plus he's coming as number one not back up as the majority of Mowbrays signings start out.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The thing is, Kipre or Ayala would have been very good signings, but ultimately, whether they were realistic enough, affordable enough, whatever, Mowbray and the club couldnt get those deals done. 

The thing that it doesnt excuse is the lack of recruitment in defence full stop. Even if we had been focusing on getting that main CB in and had failed, that only accounts for one missing defender. We equally need a left back, yet he has seemingly put that on hold for the time being and we now go into a season with Bell at left back which is crazy. Also, we want 2 centre backs, presumably one will be for competition purposes. Why hasnt the secondary centre back come in either?

It seems that we are working on one deal at a time and that compounds our failure to get these deals over the line. Its an absolute mess.

I just think they are a bit too half hearted about it given the shoulder shrugging mentality around the place. Ok you're not really going to compete with the wages of a Prem club but for some of the signings if you really want them you might have to go that extra yard.

Funny how he'll tip up 20 grand per week for a 35 year old ex boro boy or let Smallwood sit on his contract draining wages, or the money for Tosins loan. Seems if they need to they'll find it so who is reluctant to get some decent defenders in really ?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

And from the looks of things, I bet that had we still been looking for a goalkeeper, ie had Kaminski gone elsewhere or had it not gone through yet, we wouldnt have even moved onto stage 2, ie look to bring in a CB!

24 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

By the sounds of it it was completely unrealistic though...like double our current structure.

To be fair, would Mowbray have said that if it was totally unrealistic and indeed would even an agreement have been in place had it been double our current structure? I doubt it. Seems that the speculation about his wage demands was a little bit wayward.

That being said, he gets judged on who he does bring in, not who he fails to bring in 100%.

Assuming here, but if Ayala is the Spaniard I was told about and the one Mowbray said was nearly there we need to be on the phone to his agent saying we’re going to pay him more money. Superb player at this level with 3 years left. 

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's assuming the Chicken Chokers have learnt enough in the last ten years to know the difference between attackers and defenders. I can't see any evidence of that. 

Whats worse is that Mowbray does not know the difrence between wingers and attackers! Plus Bennett must start some games and come off the bench 90% of the time regardless it it makes sense or if it is in his corect position!

Then you have JRC playing left back as Our 1st choice (god help us) LB was injured! 

Then you have Holtby having to hassle Tony to play as a playmaker!

Dont worry folks Tony has plans for the defence this season. Bennett is working hard in training at converting to a Centre back and left back! #tonylogic

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, J*B said:

Assuming here, but if Ayala is the Spaniard I was told about and the one Mowbray said was nearly there we need to be on the phone to his agent saying we’re going to pay him more money. Superb player at this level with 3 years left. 

Ex Boro too - always a larger pot there in itself for those folk.

• Like 1

That's what i mean about pushing the boat out a bit for someone who's going to be worth it. I think they are terrified of that gamble on the back of the striker signings.

How can you ever build a promotion side with that sort of approach.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, J*B said:

Mowbray probably wouldn't guarantee to make Ayala a starter or pay a £500k signing on bonus.