BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

37 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Funnily enough, I think Bowyer's time is a perfect microcosm of the benefits and drawbacks of playing with out and out wingers.

Our best spell by far was when we had King and Conway on both wings, with Rhodes and Gestede up front. We looked so dangerous that way and both strikers scored a bag-full of goals, but I'm not sure we ever really controlled a game, even with the likes of Cairney in the middle. I think with hindsight you can make a good argument that Bowyer sticking to his system of something which looked like two wingers (apart from when Cairney was cutting in) as a part of 442 was one of the main reasons why we didn't get the most out of that squad, even if it meant the front two were prolific. 

Mowbray has played a good counter attacking game here at times but GB liked to sit deep tap it about and try and draw some space out of the opposition then hit it there.  Very similar to what we seem to be doing now.

Difference there was the wide men often on their wrong sides looked to cut inside into that space and shoot or feed Rhodes. Brief spells we got proper wing play when Conway was hitting Rudy early but mostly it was the other stuff.  Probably tailored to create space for Rhodes to buzz around and it worked to a decent degree.

The reason we didn't get in the play offs was that old chestnut at the other end, he couldn't assemble a good keeper or settled back line either. Apart from him being even more cautious than Mowbray he had more players likely to pull something out the bag but the lack of building from the back cost us.  Some decent individual defenders there but that's how they played they never formed a unit.

We were linked with Graham for some time before we actually got him. I suspected he was going to be a big downgrade on Rhodes who would wouldn't nearly be worth the wages we were supposedly shelling out for him. Couldn't have been more wrong, made a massive contribution in his time here, unlucky not to have been given the opportunity to contribute even more.

Comfortably Lambert's best decision in his time here. For the right team, he could still be a shrewd signing for this level. 

• Like 4

‘Club legend’, prime example of how the club has diminished.

I’ve always been a big fan of DG, proper craftsman of a centre forward. But CLUB LEGEND? Nah, I’ll stick with Shearer, with Garner, with Crompton, Clayton, Douglas, Tugay, Friedel etc

1994B2BE-8E55-48D7-A536-4D552E6B11BD.png

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

‘Club legend’, prime example of how the club has diminished.

I’ve always been a big fan of DG, proper craftsman of a centre forward. But CLUB LEGEND? Nah, I’ll stick with Shearer, with Garner, with Crompton, Clayton, Douglas, Tugay, Friedel etc

1994B2BE-8E55-48D7-A536-4D552E6B11BD.png

Agreed. 

Fantastic servant for the club though.

• Like 2

Matty that's more of a sign of how social media influences the views of others than the state of our club. They have tweeted that because it is more likely to be retweeted, liked and commented on than a simple thanks for your services.

Danny Graham will never be spoken about in the same bracket as the players you have mentioned by the people that count - the fans.

He has done everything asked of him in a Rovers shirt and he's not a player I would ever bad mouth, but I'm certainly not going to call him a club legend and I doubt he'd disagree with that himself!

Edited by Dreams of 1995
  • Like 2

Legend may be a touch far, but the reality is he’s been one of our top players for 4.5 years now and has made vital contributions throughout. Can’t quite work out where he will be going next, which L1 clubs are based in the North East?

4 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Matty that's more of a sign of how social media influences the views of others than the state of our club. They have tweeted that because it is more likely to be retweeted, liked and commented on than a simple thanks for your services.

But then they are diminishing the club by calling a solid pro, who’s done a good job in the lower leagues for us (been a favourite of mine since day 1), but still a fairly insignificant figure in the grand scheme of things a ‘club legend’ we are Blackburn Rovers, not Reading. 

That’s poor PR for me, but WTF do I know ?‍♂️

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3