BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

• Moderation Lead
9 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Mowbray in LT:

Jackanory, jackanory, jackanory.....................

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18711672.rovers-transfer-latest-european-defender-deal-collapses/

Some real pearlers in there.

Despair, despair, despair.

Not the best opening paragraph, is it? 

‘Tony Mowbray believes Rovers are better placed to deal with the disappointment of missing out on targets then previous summers.’

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, DE. said:

I go into transfer windows nowadays with zero hope as I have no faith in the system we have in place to produce anything worthwhile. I don't think the manager or his team have a remotely solid grasp on recruitment, and they have no help from the owners - in fact, if anything they are a further hindrance to an already questionable setup. At best we may get a decent loan or two but that's all I expect now. If we splash money it always seems to be on overpriced players like Gallagher or Brereton who don't even fit our system. 

TL;DR: The recruitment structure is a mess and I have no hopes to be crushed in the first place, so I'm generally quite zen about the transfer window itself. 

I’m the same DE.

The structure just isn’t there when it comes to co-ordinating transfers in 2020.

Also, I don’t expect the manager to ever particularly be under any pressure, or for anybody better to arrive, so I’ve given up getting worked up about it and just largely leave the rest of you to it when it comes to transfers or the manager. What will be will be.

* I save my ire for issues any decent football bureaucrat should be able to (but can’t) get a grasp on - fanbase, ticketing, pitch, basic ground maintenance  etc. 

Edited by Mattyblue

As frustrated as I am with our current lack of buisness/missing out on players, I do find comfort that the players we seem to be going for are ones of quality. Both Kipre and Ayala would of been quality additions and while it is sad that neither will end up here, we do at least seem to be looking at the right players. I only hope that that continues and one comes through, and quickly. I would say currently we are at least 3 signings off where we need to be. A back up keeper, a quality centre back and a quality left back. If we keep hold of Williams then him and Wharton are decent enough back up centre backs, along with a couple of promising youngsters, however if Williams does go then that will obviously need to change. I actually feel like we are alright in midfield, I would say Travis holtby and evans are first choice with Johnson, rothwell, Bennett and Buckley as able enough back up.

I wouldn’t go as far as to say that it’s a totally ideal squad but in these circumstances I believe it is manageable. Either way I worry that we look very midtable.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

So in other words you will only compare when it suits your argument and when it doesn't suit your argument then you are not bothered about other clubs.

Congratulations you have grasped the rules of the debate! 

Likewise if a hypothetical link is unfavourable for Rovers then it is dismissed as not being concrete. However the possibility Rovers might sign someone must always be held and used as a positive of Rovers approach. 

17 minutes ago, DE. said:

The January window may as well not exist for us. We signed Arma on loan in Jan '18... can't think of any other decent signings we've made in that window since TM took charge.

I find every summer hugely disappointing as far as transfers are concerned, but YMMV depending on your expectations and ambitions for the club I suppose.

I don't think they ever even consider entertaining the Jan window despite what they say. It's a complete write off as far as Rovers are concerned hell even fighting relegation and desperate for defenders as usual they just signed a lanky forward on loan. A lanky forward who just happened to be on the books of the temporary Advisors wife !

If we don't get anything done worthwhile by October you can bet 100% there'll be nothing in January and any pennies will stay in the pot.

But we should have been looking elsewhere for the last 9 months not just hanging our hat on him.  Just sums up the current blaze' attitude of this regime.

Once he'd got a serious injury our thoughts should have turned elsewhere what is it with this lot and some of our fans that we always have to be seen to be looking after everybody else. The only thought should be strengthen the team as quickly as possible not on might he get fit/might he not 50% chance punts !

F### O## !

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

well you used a nice selective of examples of Pears or Cunningham but ignore that we missed out on Mawson for example by Bristol City paying full wages which we couldn't do. Have we even held conversations with Boro or Cardiff to sign those players? Yes we are doing all we can to bring players but this isn't like playing Football game or FIFA when it comes down to negotiating with clubs, agents and players. If you watched the Chris Wilder video on when they followed him on the last day of window. Or watched the football club documentaries when they follow the club for a season, you realised that signings players isn't easy at all. Have you seen of these documentaries which highlighted exactly what I am saying. 

here the Chris Wilder one. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=chris+wilder+deadline+day&&view=detail&mid=83370FECAA5C7140DE8583370FECAA5C7140DE85&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dchris%2Bwilder%2Bdeadline%2Bday%26FORM%3DHDRSC3

Yes I did a posted earlier in the thread that shows that it was Clubs like Norwich with PL money or promoted clubs or clubs who has sold players for big money like Birmingham signings players. Do you not see that post?

So FIFA isnt a football game?

41 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'm just dreading deadline day.

Obvious issues that need to be addressed, the eternal optimists expecting incomings up to the last minute, Mowbray and Rovers claiming to be busy and confident of deals and then the crushing blow from Rich Sharpe at about 6pm telling us that nothing is going to happen and that our business is done.

Day of Wrath lol

Wouldn't have thought we'd want to pay much more than £1.5m to bring in Cunningham. Cardiff need to be a little more realistic there I think.

If it's a loan to buy arrangement, whatever fee we agree is to effectively sign him this season, as opposed to paying to loan him for a season and then he's free to speak to whoever in the summer. As we've already seen with Downing & Bauer, we can't hedge our bets on signing up players when they run out of contract. If he's the guy we want at LB, we're better off getting it done now.

Edited by RoverKyle

45 minutes ago, TruRover said:

As frustrated as I am with our current lack of buisness/missing out on players, I do find comfort that the players we seem to be going for are ones of quality. Both Kipre and Ayala would of been quality additions and while it is sad that neither will end up here, we do at least seem to be looking at the right players. I only hope that that continues and one comes through, and quickly. I would say currently we are at least 3 signings off where we need to be. A back up keeper, a quality centre back and a quality left back. 

The players mentioned have been good but unobtainable.   Question is, how far down the list of 'targets' will we have to go to get a signing?

To crack the January window you need an operation on the ball who can move quickly and decisively during a busy period and close deals down.

Here with dithering Tony, inept Waggott and Venus sorting out deals whilst not being assistant manager, all whilst the owners are absent and silent, its just easier to not bother and blame high prices instead.

That and they can't get a meeting with Madame other than in the November international break so tough to get any cash.

But when under no pressure or expectation and happy to plod along why rock the boat by trading in January?

6 hours ago, Miller11 said:

“We have told the owners that we have to be engaging with other players as well to get them on longer-term contracts if we can, and if they will sign, so we can retain the assets so that if any clubs come in for our assets, and there’s been talk about some about some of our players which is good, but we have to protect them so if they do have to go, we get the right terms for them.”

This worries me. I can see another “He will be signing any day now” scenario.

It's way too late to be only just waking up to that realisation now, should have been done and dusted at least 12 months ago. 

What does Waggott actually do all day?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

I'm just dreading deadline day.

Obvious issues that need to be addressed, the eternal optimists expecting incomings up to the last minute, Mowbray and Rovers claiming to be busy and confident of deals and then the crushing blow from Rich Sharpe at about 6pm telling us that nothing is going to happen and that our business is done.

Might have got everyone in by then, so you can have a nice relaxing day.