BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Chaddy apart, can't believe some are still trying to justify the Raya sale on the basis we might receive a sell on clause if he moves to Arsenal!

The fact that such a big Club appear to be in for him a little more than 12 months after Mowbray scapegoated him, left him out of the side in favour of the useless Leutwiler, and sold him for peanuts just proves what a bad judge of a player's ability Mowbray is.

As regards the money we got for him, if Brentford stand firm and push the deal up to something around the £15m mark we'll receive almost as much in add ons as we did for selling him! Which again only serves to underline what a calamitous bollock we dropped.

On the loyalty issue I think ideally I'd prefer to see Raya complete at least one more season in the Championship with Brentford but to be fair to him he has no idea if a Club the size of Arsenal are ever going to come knocking again. It's very unlikely Liverpool, City or Manure are going to need a keeper in the foreseeable, Chelsea are apparently closing in on someone from Rennes so that only really leaves Spurs in this Country as a similar option. The chance may never come again.

If he was talking about possibly moving to say Crystal Palace then that would be a slightly different debate but again, it would be hard to turn down a move from the Champuonship to the Premier League.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 9

47 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

He went to school at St Wilfreds. Definitely lived (May still do) in Blackburn. Played in United Youth teams from a very young age.

Think his Dad still lives in the houses just further down from Blackburn Golf Club where he has a small private sports physio studio.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

If it's true, I don't really see the point. It's a position we need real quality in if we recruit, not yet another young talent. Maybe he is that good, and maybe it lets some other young talent go out on loan, but I feel like he would have made more waves by now if that's the case. Still, if he arrives I hope he turns out brilliant, quickly. Hope it doesn't affect our budget for the defence either, but surely it must as it's all one budget.

Preferred the idea of loaning that United youngster. Didn't like it at first, but a few said he was real quality, and I was thinking it might let us loan Buckley to League One or something, giving him or whoever some regular match time experience whilst we improved for a season. This would give us how many CM capable players under 23? They definitely can't all work out.

With all the resources we have put into that area of the pitch and the depth of numbers who do or can play there, a loan of real quality seems the wisest way to recruit there. Unless Rathbone really is the real deal.

If it goes through, typical Mowbray, a bit of tinkering round the edges, a bit of window dressing as opposed to someone to go straight into the first team and thereby disrupt the core squad.

• Backroom

I’m sick of being told ‘it’s a tough market for everyone’ and other such platitudes then Chaddy comes along with anecdotes about x, y and z not signing anyone.

Why do we have to accept it and settle?

For once why can’t be one of the clubs overcoming the difficulties and getting deals over the line, Bristol City and others have managed to land their targets yet we should just accept that once again we start the season short despite knowing for months where we needed to strengthen.

Tony, Swag or someone else is failing at their task here!

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Bog standard  cheap option.  More time on the pitch for Benno et al

We already have Davenport who TM signed 2 years ago and has barely used, how many young midfielders we aren't going to use do we actually need?

Reassuring to hear good old Tony doesn't like wasting the owners money though.......

• Like 6

7 hours ago, bluebruce said:

If it's true, I don't really see the point. It's a position we need real quality in if we recruit, not yet another young talent. Maybe he is that good, and maybe it lets some other young talent go out on loan, but I feel like he would have made more waves by now if that's the case. Still, if he arrives I hope he turns out brilliant, quickly. Hope it doesn't affect our budget for the defence either, but surely it must as it's all one budget.

Preferred the idea of loaning that United youngster. Didn't like it at first, but a few said he was real quality, and I was thinking it might let us loan Buckley to League One or something, giving him or whoever some regular match time experience whilst we improved for a season. This would give us how many CM capable players under 23? They definitely can't all work out.

With all the resources we have put into that area of the pitch and the depth of numbers who do or can play there, a loan of real quality seems the wisest way to recruit there. Unless Rathbone really is the real deal.

The one thing Rathbone has over Buckley, Davenport etc is games. Over 100 at a really tough level, I'd be more confident of throwing him in the side than the others.

I imagine its nonsense anyway.

• Like 1

So we are going to be starting the weekend with Williams, Magloire or Wharton at the back with Lenihan. As it looks like we are doing everything possible to sell Williams than it will probably be one of the young lads at the back. I’m sure they will have a good game and Tony will come out and say we don’t need reinforcements as they have impressed him during preseason so he’s going to give them the opportunity.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Miller11 said:

It must be really gutting for you that Raya may be off to Arsenal. Despite the fact it would net us a bit of much needed cash that might be spent on desperately needed transfers, you seem to be really unhappy.

Obviously this is because it would prove to be a massive dropped bollock by Mowbray and the club, and rather than acknowledge that you would rather dig out Raya. It’s as transparent as it is weird

This is exactly what it is. Anyone who leaves has to be a massive failure for some fans.

It’s not just Chaddy and it’s not just Mowbray. It’s the difference between eternal optimists (those who are satisfied with words even each other’s words) and those who want to see reasons for optimism (the actions and results).

Prime example is the European scouting network. Plenty of talk and the one signing validates the whole process. Meanwhile ever since setting it up our recruitment has been a shambles. Just look at January, never mind the Summer so far. A few loans will paper over the cracks and cheap talk about players wage demands will be enough for some.

• Like 5

If Rovers wanted Ollie Rathbone he'd be here. Simple as. Cheap wages, big step up for him as a player, much like Dolan that could be sorted between the hours of 8am and 8pm in a day. The fact he still hasn't signed for us after a year of being linked says that the rumoured interest simply isn't there to me.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Good. More combative and aggressive players like Dan Butterworth will benefit from a lower league loan, Buckley's game is much better suited to our league as a fringe player understudying Lewis Holtby.

20 minutes ago, Stuart said:

This is exactly what it is. Anyone who leaves has to be a massive failure for some fans.

It’s not just Chaddy and it’s not just Mowbray. It’s the difference between eternal optimists (those who are satisfied with words even each other’s words) and those who want to see reasons for optimism (the actions and results).

Prime example is the European scouting network. Plenty of talk and the one signing validates the whole process. Meanwhile ever since setting it up our recruitment has been a shambles. Just look at January, never mind the Summer so far. A few loans will paper over the cracks and cheap talk about players wage demands will be enough for some.

Fantastic point Stuart. If only we all saw it through your eyes. The key components you missed there were context and personal opinions as well as your stated outlooks (optimists vs pragmatists).

So whilst you maybe don’t see the successes of the European scouting network, others may see the signing of Kaminski and the potential for more as “progress”.

We all judge based on what WE see, in our own context based on our own opinions. We deal with information differently.

For example - I think Mowbrays 2.5yr deal for Mulgrew was scandalous. Bordering on gross negligence because I genuinely think that extension was a little “wink wink” I’ll sort you one last big contract Charlie for staying with us and getting us up. This decision was terrible and is contributing to our financial pain. The manager should be taken to task for it.

Whereas, I genuinely don’t think selling Raya was the wrong decision. Raya was SOOO inconsistent. He obv wanted to go and we got £3m for him. Him being linked with Arsenal is not a sure sign that he’s suddenly become world class! There’s lots of reasons why deals happen. In this case the keeper coach at Arsenal is his mentor. But so what if he goes to them? There’s literally thousands of shite players who’ve signed for top teams and done nothing (I’m not saying Raya is shite btw). So what if he develops into a top keeper? Lots of players develop late. It’s just the way things are....the issue last season wasn’t selling Raya it was not properly replacing him imo.

The above shows how we can all see things completely differently. It’s not just about being eternally optimistic vs....you. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Anyone who leaves has to be a massive failure for some fans.

Not at Stuart but if you look at a number of players who left us and done nothing with their careers afterwards was it worth moving on. Players David Bentley, Chris Samba, Roque Santa Cruz, Benni McCarthy, Lucas Neill in our PL days. Now championship days like Jordan Rhodes, Rudy Gestede, Ben Marshall. Some players like Duffy and Hanley have gone on and played regular PL football. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Not at Stuart but if you look at a number of players who left us and done nothing with their careers afterwards was it worth moving on. Players David Bentley, Chris Samba, Roque Santa Cruz, Benni McCarthy, Lucas Neill in our PL days. Now championship days like Jordan Rhodes, Rudy Gestede, Ben Marshall. Some players like Duffy and Hanley have gone on and played regular PL football. 

Raya has already bettered himself since leaving Rovers. He's got in the PO's and is now on the verge of a move to Arsenal. I doubt he's wondering where it all went wrong.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

So  bloody what? Plenty of us said it was a mistake to sell him last summer for £3M and that he'd be worth more in the future.

You didn't think that though did you?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

He obv wanted to go and we got £3m for him.

All true and look what we did with it! Got a  temporary replacement who was worse! Genius!

iI I were singled out week after week for the failings of the whole defence I'd want a move too!

• Like 4