BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, m1st said:

Words get devalued these days.

E.g. Channel 4's - and not just them, obvs. - definitely of 'Celebrity'. We haven't had a "Rovers' legend", since the 1990s, imo.

Surely Brad Friedel is in the legendary category. Maybe even Tugay and Jansen.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I had a soft spot for Samuel I have to say. Looked a tidy enough player in his first couple of games for us, although it was in a different league. I can't say I will miss him as a player for Rovers but I am bit sorry he never cut the mustard here. 

Whilst Samuel isn't good enough and it's the right call to let him go, he can still count himself as very unlucky that injury took away his chance to prove that he could do it in this league, the way that the rest of the L1 team did. 

There were glimpses in his performances this season which showed that he has something to offer, travels with the ball well and will get the odd goal. Would be a good free signing for a L1 team. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Leighton Baines is I player that I'd be having a chat with if I was Mowbray. He's out of contract at Everton and still hasn't signed a new one and one can only assume that is because he wants first team football which we can offer him and he is less likely to get that from a Premiership club. He'd be ideal for us not only is he a left back left back but he would bring some experience which the back line is crying out for.

There is definitely something in this. 

2 years ago someone posted in here saying we were looking to sign him.

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

Whilst Samuel isn't good enough and it's the right call to let him go, he can still count himself as very unlucky that injury took away his chance to prove that he could do it in this league, the way that the rest of the L1 team did. 

There were glimpses in his performances this season which showed that he has something to offer, travels with the ball well and will get the odd goal. Would be a good free signing for a L1 team. 

Nope.

He had a few good games in league 1, then did absolutely nothing for the rest of that season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Aye, LeftWinger, I'd give you Friedel and Tugay out of those.

Snag is, when you get to my age; and you can't be bothered looking up the dates of when players came out of the home dressing room at Ewood before posting on here, you think they were all in the same group of players.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

For me, Friedel and Tugay definitely. Jansen, no. Could potentially have been without the accident, but wasn't. Not even particularly close. Fondly remembered though.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

How old was Salgado when he signed? He did alright for us, other than against Gareth Bale, but you could say that about pretty much any right back in the World at that point.

Salgado played for Real Madrid for a decade.

Baines played for Everton.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I suppose its all about levels.  If he was a upper championship goalie, that's where he would be.  At the moment he's in the same position as Jayson or young Easty.  I'd try Easty as a reserve and get a proper number 1 like Begovic

I'd say Begovic is on at least £50,000 a week. 

Actually checked there, apparently he is on £70,000

But ya, good keeper ,I would like him too. I would also like Cristiano Ronaldo to replace Graham. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I had a soft spot for Samuel I have to say. Looked a tidy enough player in his first couple of games for us, although it was in a different league. I can't say I will miss him as a player for Rovers but I am bit sorry he never cut the mustard here. 

My memories of him in League One were of him being meat and drink for many of the hairy-arsed centre-halves who seem to play at that level. Your 'Skinner Normantons' for those who remember Michael Parkinson's reminiscences in the later years of the last century.

Sure, he was a trier; but that wasn't enough, imo.

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

For me, Friedel and Tugay definitely. Jansen, no. Could potentially have been without the accident, but wasn't. Not even particularly close. Fondly remembered though.

57 goals in 182 games in 7 years. Scored a couple against Burnley, winning goal at Deepdale to seal promotion, scored in the league cup final win. Maybe not quite legendary status, but he is close for me.

• Like 1

Just now, LeftWinger said:

57 goals in 182 games in 7 years. Scored a couple against Burnley, winning goal at Deepdale to seal promotion, scored in the league cup final win. Maybe not quite legendary status, but he is close for me.

If we're honest, it was a three year career at Rovers.

He was finished as a top level player after that accident.

He's absolutely a tragic tale of 'what if'. If he'd not crashed in Rome he'd either be loved or hated by the Rovers faithful (hated because he'd have left for a Top 4 club!). Instead he's just fondly remembered for what a great player he was for those three years. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

If we're honest, it was a three year career at Rovers.

He was finished as a top level player after that accident.

He's absolutely a tragic tale of 'what if'. If he'd not crashed in Rome he'd either be loved or hated by the Rovers faithful (hated because he'd have left for a Top 4 club!). Instead he's just fondly remembered for what a great player he was for those three years. 

'Twas a different time for us then Exiled. We had European nights coming up and some fantastic players on our books. I'd have hoped Jansen would have stuck around and we could have achieved even more.

Sven has a lot to answer for. The boy should have been in an England training camp. As you say...what if?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I'd say Begovic is on at least £50,000 a week. 

Actually checked there, apparently he is on £70,000

But ya, good keeper ,I would like him too. I would also like Cristiano Ronaldo to replace Graham. 

Wow, 70k for someone you loan out is mind boggling 

• Like 3

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

'Twas a different time for us then Exiled. We had European nights coming up and some fantastic players on our books. I'd have hoped Jansen would have stuck around and we could have achieved even more.

Sven has a lot to answer for. The boy should have been in an England training camp. As you say...what if?

We still lost our most bankable players from time to time. Duff and Dunn in one summer, and later, even still being in and around those European nights, Bentley, Friedel, Warnock, Roque, Bellamy....

• Like 1

Agree that Downing should not be brought back... not convinced he actually returned from lockdown. 

I reealise squad numbers don't mean diddly... But we do not have a #1, #5, #6, #10, #12 or #13. We also have Williams and Chapman on first 11 numbers.

The squad is shite. We have about 5 players worthy of playing for Blackburn Rovers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Agree that Downing should not be brought back... not convinced he actually returned from lockdown. 

I reealise squad numbers don't mean diddly... But we do not have a #1, #5, #6, #10, #12 or #13. We also have Williams and Chapman on first 11 numbers.

The squad is shite. We have about 5 players worthy of playing for Blackburn Rovers.

For his experience alone I would keep him around. Not as a starter though. 

Just now, Angry_Pirate said:

Worthy is not quantifiable. The only players who can play for The Rovers, are ones that are signed on

16 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

That doesn't cut the mustard for legend for me. A little under 1 goal every 3 games, with a good chunk of them in the second tier. That's just a 'good striker rate'. Legends (as strikers) are closer to 1 in 2, or at least somewhere inbetween the two. Of course these kinds of things are subjective and I don't mean to discredit Jansen, who I was a big fan of. Had a touch of magic about him, and was one of the trifecta with Duff and Dunn who helped us return to the Prem and show we could punch above our weight without the huge cash influxes of the past.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would also like Cristiano Ronaldo to replace Graham. 

Nah Ronaldo wont be able to keep up with Armstrong's forward runs, would be an expensive squad rotation player ?. Besides we have natural wingers in Gally and Big Ben and we have Super Bennett who is the ultimate squad roatation player and can play anyone on the park and we will need him even more now our emergency keeper Smallwood has left! ?‍♂️

• Like 3

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

And not on the same money or even close. Has to be on somewhere around 20k. I'd be having talks at a little under the 10k mark, and I expect he wouldn't take it but not sure where he gets much more in the UK at this age and in this climate.

Purse strings look tight and we can't be paying big bucks to someone whose legs could go any minute and we are starting to see small signs of it already.

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

How old was Salgado when he signed? He did alright for us, other than against Gareth Bale, but you could say that about pretty much any right back in the World at that point.

Yeah Salgado was an absolute legend I loved him, I just don’t know about Baines in the championship at his age and his lack of pace would go. I’d rather us bring Cunningham back if we can and if he’s recovered well from his injury.

21 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

That's Smallwood type talk imo.

"Give him another 12 months because he's a good old boy around the place."

Downing did a lot better than I expected he would when he signed but he hasn't been earth shattering. Time to let him move on with our good wishes. We need better if we're to challenge.

• Like 3