BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

2 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

You are wrong. Nyambe was criticised and dropped regularly in favour of Bennett. It  is why I suspect he'll run his contract down and walk.

Nail on head!

I think Mowbray's man management skills are poor - I think we've seen it with Raya, Nyambe and Reed, to name but three.  And his two biggest signings (Brereton and Gallagher) have, again IMO, been handled appallingly - played out of position, sat on the bench, it's a wonder if either of those two lads have an ounce of self confidence. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dolly blue said:

This will not go down well ! ...however, I’ve  just listened to Paul  Cook for 5 minutes on Sky ( before Ipswich / Wigan game )....deep breath.......I heard more football sense, more passion , more “ I know a player when  I see one “ , more talk of pride in playing for football club than I’ve  ever heard from Mowbray .

Just look at his signings over the past couple of seasons, what he paid for them how they performed and the money they would have gone for had it not been administration...no fault of his 

I know this will be a dreadful post to many but.....he’s available and Mowbray’s here.....you do the thinking on that one 

Would sack Mowbray and install Cook in a heartbeat.  An absolute no brainer in my book.

4 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

I disagree Raya was really not that good especially as some seem to think. That is my opinion of course. As good a shot stopper he was he still had many flaws. Top goal keepers go for big bucks Raya is not a top goalie yet

Yet he is going for some big bucks

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

How is it boring? Maybe, it shows that the people running transfer business are just not canny enough...That seems very relevant to me, as a supporter of many years.

Debate the ins and outs of present transfer business by all means, but I find it boring rehashing something that happened over a year ago.

Just now, rigger said:

Debate the ins and outs of present transfer business by all means, but I find it boring rehashing something that happened over a year ago.

Is it also irrelevant that we didn't properly sort out the defence and goalkeeper situation last close season...or does it begin to indicate a repeated pattern?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Would sack Mowbray and install Cook in a heartbeat.  An absolute no brainer in my book.

Not much difference for me. Wigan fans wanted shut of Cook before Christmas then they suddenly found some results by playing very limited football.

Perhaps edges Mowbray but would feel a pretty sideways move. He's been available most of the break and there's been plenty of jobs going, no one gone in for him.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Lets hope this particular link bears fruit. Every club needs a strong core of players. We've been stalking him for a while. Hopefully we don't get pipped by another club. 

My only concern is that Pear drops the ball a lot. 

I believe he's stewing over it as Rovers have lost their appeel. Chances are it'll get canned.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, JoeH said:

Looked into this lad about 70/80 pages back on the thread. Data and video analysis looks awesome, seems to be exactly what we’re after.

But as has been mentioned by a few posters, off the field issues make this a grey area deal. Wages could potentially be a snag but can see us having interest here. 

Ability wise he’s definitely an improvement on Amari’i Bell, five fold.

I think @Hannoverover has seen him regularly and said that he is crap, apologies if ive misremembered. Of course the off the field stuff means that the deal shouldnt be considered.

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I think @Hannoverover has seen him regularly and said that he is crap, apologies if ive misremembered. Of course the off the field stuff means that the deal shouldnt be considered.

Definitely doesn’t seem crap to me. Extensive videos of his play show him to be an excellent player in that league ??‍♂️

But off the field stuff is end of convo.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Spending money on the sub keeper may be a questionable use of limited resources.

Also dont get why he would leave his hometown club who he is sub for to sit on our bench. Especially as Boros keeper is only loan and Warnock will only be there short term. Plus I doubt he would get a big wage here.

Disagree. Kaminski pulls up on a goal kick we have Fisher for a full season. Need a back up and a semi-capable one ideally.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Spending money on the sub keeper may be a questionable use of limited resources.

Also dont get why he would leave his hometown club who he is sub for to sit on our bench. Especially as Boros keeper is only loan and Warnock will only be there short term. Plus I doubt he would get a big wage here.

Also disagree. Two permanent goalkeepers, one of which a little younger who shows promise, is definitely a good thing. It means next summer the “we need X Y and Z” won’t include the goalkeeping department.

7 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Disagree. Kaminski pulls up on a goal kick we have Fisher for a full season. Need a back up and a semi-capable one ideally.

4 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Also disagree. Two permanent goalkeepers, one of which a little younger who shows promise, is definitely a good thing. It means next summer the “we need X Y and Z” won’t include the goalkeeping department.

I dont understand why he would come here to sit on our bench, considering that he is doing the same at his boyhood club, with a potential gap for him next season and I doubt that we will be offering him a big pay rise.

If it in any way limits the money we have to spend on the defence, I would probably just get a more senior freebie as a safe pair of hands if needed.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Go read back instead of rewriting history yourself.

??? so funny how many are stepping forward now to tell us how distraught they were with Raya’s sale....i do wonder how many would be as quick to nail their colours to this mast if he’d had a shocker and was getting bombed off to League 1..but that’s life! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

This was one of Mowbray's best interview. He was honest and progressive. He really sounded like the guy to take the club forward.   For those who don't want to watch, the stand out bit for me was

" Defenders? I've got no defence. We lost 65 goals, 67 goals. It is ridiculous. New defenders are coming and the players who have done the job in the team this year know they are coming. Why? Because they have shown that they can't do the job. In this league they haven't been able to do it." A frank but correct assessment of a struggling defence made up of Williams, Bell, Bennett, Lenihan, Mulgrew and co.

Soon after though Mowbray was talking a different tune. In June, https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17738118.rovers-boss-tony-mowbray-wants-strengthen-across-board/ , he said,  "I did talk about the defenders towards the end of the season and when you look back we did concede too many goals. But there are reasons for that but I’m not sitting here worrying about that any more than other positions."  What caused the change of heart? Hard to say, maybe some of the senior players didn't like his frank assessment? 

Reviewing the 2019 summer transfer window, the defence was changed in the following way.

In :  Walton (Loan) , Cunnningham (Loan) , Tosin (Loan)

Out : Raya (3 mill Brentford) , Mulgrew (Loan to Wigan) , Hart (Loan to Shrewsbury) , Downing (Free to Porstmouth)  , Wharton (Loan) , Rodwell (Released)

A lot of departures, including academy product David Raya and fan favourite, but aging, Charile Mulgrew (behind the scenes trouble). However, no permanent transfer was made. The loan signings were a mixed bunch. Tosin was brilliant, Cunningham suffered a long term injury and Walton being poor.  Bottom line the defence did improve, conceding 6 fewer goals. However, the loan signings were a short term solution to a long term problem.  

Now so far in the, albeit COVID-19 affected, 2020 transfer window we have seen the following transfers

In : Kaminski (500 k)

Out : Tosin ( End of Loan), Walton (End of Loan) , Hart (Released) ,  Leutwiler (Released)

With the departures of the loanees and the release of Leutwiler, the club had no senior goalkeepers on the book. Quite rightly Kaminski, showing the first signs of our fledgling European network, was brought in and looked tidy in his first game.  However, the defence is threadbare. A ramshackle combination of academy products not ready for full game time and the same players that two seasons ago Mowbray said "Because they have shown that they can't do the job. In this league they haven't been able to do it."  He was right then and right now.  Williams, Bell, Bennett and co are not good enough.  It is a massive failure of senior management to be playing the same fucking defence that two years ago they deemed to be not up for the job.  There is no excuse for it.  

Excellent post and succinctly hits the nail firmly on the head.